Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Replacement valve assembly for Atwood water heater
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacement valve assembly for Atwood water heater

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
somatronicon

Redfield, KS

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. The community seems like a very knowledgeable one so I thought I'd ask my question here. We have a '91 Winnebago Chieftain class A with an Atwood GH6-6E water heater. I've had about three people look at the issue, and it appears one of the two solenoids/valves are faulty. One of them appears to open, and the other doesn't, so no flame. It's an electric ignition as well. So, at this point, we are looking for a replacement valve. However, given the age of our RV, it's a bit tricky for me to find an exact replacement. Can anyone tell me if it's common/okay to use a different valve than the exact model that's currently on the water heater?

For example, there was a service company that recommended an AT93844 valve assembly. I looked it up, and only found the following possible replacement part:

http://m.opentip.com/product.php?products_id=6168695&osCsid=b359421l2kv2pv232d5090ta35&ats=product_landing

Looking at it, they definitely appear to be different. However, conceptually I think they do the same thing. One thing I'm concerned about is that the clearance between the top of the valve and the flu vent (above) may not be sufficient. Is it possible to rotate the valve so that it will fit? I wonder if that would impact the performance/safety characteristics of the valve.

Here is an image of the existing valve:

[image]

And an image of the replacement valve:

[image]

Any help on this would be appreciated. I'd hate to get the wrong replacement valve and end up down a hundred bucks [emoticon]

Thanks everyone!

Christopher

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biggest issue is current valve solenoids are on bottom and get WET every time you drain WH Tank especially the one right by that petcock

Petcock is NOT OEM on that model.....should be the standard OEM 1/2" NPT Nylon drain plug
(Petcocks were used on 2 older 10 gallon models, G10-2E & 3E versions)
So while you have the old gas vlave out remove that petcock assembly drain/flush tank, clean up threads using a 1/2" NPT brass 6" Nipple (screw it in/out chasing threads) then use the Nylon Drain Plug.

Replacement gas valve is the Atwood 93870/93844 White Rodgers Valve

White Rodgers 93870/93844 $76

And you will need a new valve bracket
Mounting bracket $5

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

ret usn

La Crosse Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/17 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old biscuit is correct. I just purchased and installed the same valve and installed it in less than 30 min. ,y old one leaked and we could always smell propane if the water heater was not used. Solved the problem. also replaced furnace valve due to same problem.

2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F150 Super Crew

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know your situation but with the cost of the valve about 1/3 of the price of a new unit I would just go new.
Hate to see the tank go on you in a year or so and then what, after all the unit is 26 years old.
https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-Gal-Elect-Ignition-G6A-8E/dp/B00I0GH9GY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1504995754&sr=8-5&keywords=atwood+6+gallon.

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like the old one is upside down, have never saw one that solenoid on bottom

Busdriver 2016 3500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

somatronicon

Redfield, KS

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone, wow you have been more than helpful!

I just read through the follow-ups and was stunned by the comprehensive nature of the posts. My wife, five children and I are all very greatful.

For now due to our budget I think we'll have to get the valve assembly and mounting bracket. In the future though, I think you're right and we ought to spring for a new one. Do you know how often the hot water tanks go and what symptoms I should look for to tell if it's going?

We've followed the links and have ordered the parts. I also appreciate the information on the petcock. TBH I had no idea what that word meant until I googled it. Makes sense now [emoticon]

I'll reply back when I get the parts installed and working to let you know how it went.

Thanks again for all the help!

Christopher

somatronicon

Redfield, KS

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Busdriver wrote:

Looks like the old one is upside down, have never saw one that solenoid on bottom

Hi busdriver, I know right? It seemed odd to me as well. I wonder if that was part of the reason it failed, or if it was just due to wear over time.

In either case I'll try to put the new one in right-side-up [emoticon]

Thanks for the reply Busdriver.

Christopher

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually for that vintage and model the gas valve is installed with solenoids DOWN

[image]

As for how long tank with last....until it leaks [emoticon]

Seriously.......no time table

Pin hole leaks or cracks in welds are types of leaks on tanks

somatronicon

Redfield, KS

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Actually for that vintage and model the gas valve is installed with solenoids DOWN

As for how long tank with last....until it leaks [emoticon]

Seriously.......no time table

Pin hole leaks or cracks in welds are types of leaks on tanks

LOL, that is a totally reasonable answer [emoticon] It's good to know that the old one is correctly installed right now. I'll do the same with the replacement solenoid, or at least try to. I should have the parts either today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for the information and the background on the upside-down orientation of the valve.

I can access the hot water heater under one of the twin-beds in the back. I'll take some time to inspect for leaks while I'm installing the new valve.

Christopher

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this looks like it would install the same as the old one if your still thinking about repairing it. Atwood (93844) Water Heater Gas Valve

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacement valve assembly for Atwood water heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS