cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other Damon Owners?

NEOhioCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to the RV community. I have just purchased a 1997 Damon Ultrasport Class A 37 ft RV with a Ford chassis - gas with 60,000 miles. I would like some insight as to common problems other owners have faced with this rig. I don't know much about it as it was a great deal and the dealership didn't take any time to explain anything.

I appreciate any feedback in advance.

My best,

NEOhioCamper
NEOhioCamper

97 Damon Ultrasport
7 REPLIES 7

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
On the side wall there is a 4 digit code in an oval. First 2 digits are the week and last 2 are the year.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
NEOhioCamper wrote:
but how do I locate date codes? Not to sound ignorant but I am a newbie.

Try this:
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

(Found with a Google search for "tire date codes")
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

NEOhioCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
I have an '07 Outlaw toy hauler 3611.
It is on a GM chassis so we might not have much in common.

This being my second used unit, I'm finding some of the normally expected things that plague almost all used RVs.....like a leaking sewer pipe, cracked skylights, etc.

But I'm also finding some stuff that makes me mad. Like drawers that have virtually NO latching mechanism so that they come open after driving a few miles. The cabinet DOORS have good latches; the drawers just slide free. Thankfully the rails won't let them come all the way out.

Check the date codes on the tires. Even if they look perfect, it they are 5 years old you should plan to change them out in the next couple of years. If 7 or more, replace NOW.

Damon was bought out or merged with Thor a few years back.

It's good to know some of the normal things... I've been worried about the tires since buying it and driving it 150 miles home. The tires do seem to be in almost perfect condition but how do I locate date codes? Not to sound ignorant but I am a newbie.
NEOhioCamper

97 Damon Ultrasport

NEOhioCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!
NEOhioCamper

97 Damon Ultrasport

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '07 Outlaw toy hauler 3611.
It is on a GM chassis so we might not have much in common.

This being my second used unit, I'm finding some of the normally expected things that plague almost all used RVs.....like a leaking sewer pipe, cracked skylights, etc.

But I'm also finding some stuff that makes me mad. Like drawers that have virtually NO latching mechanism so that they come open after driving a few miles. The cabinet DOORS have good latches; the drawers just slide free. Thankfully the rails won't let them come all the way out.

Check the date codes on the tires. Even if they look perfect, it they are 5 years old you should plan to change them out in the next couple of years. If 7 or more, replace NOW.

Damon was bought out or merged with Thor a few years back.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Jabrad_s_Papa
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 06 Daybreak. It's had minor problems but nothing too bad. The one thing you should check is if you have jacks. Look and see where they ran they hydraulic lines. They recalled mine because they where to close to the engine block. Use heavy duty ties and pull them away from the engine.
I'm at 60k miles and it runs great. The step controller failed but that was an easy fix.
Other than that just maintenance.
Good Luck with it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Damon makes a good motor home. And yours is old enough that the Common Problems like screws they forgot to tighten should NOT be an issue as they should already have been fixed... So now you are into two sets of problems

Common maintenance like roof caulking and tire changes often ignored by prior owners.. and Wear out/break, and since almost NOTHING inside that RV is "Damon" this too is common to all other Motor homes.

If you do not have the "Owner's information package" (about 5-10 pounds of owners manuals in a zippered pouch) find the makes and models of all your appliances. . Water heater, Fridge, Furnace A/C Slideouts, Even the door and wondows have owner's manuals but .> Well you can skip those.. MIrrors and such

Google Make, Model, manual

THt is if it's a DOmitic 9212 Microwae you would google: dometic 9121 manual

NOTE: Dometic does NOT make microwaves so you may not find that one.. but the product ID label (open the door) on mine identifies it as an LG (Lousy goods) #### and sure enough it did not work when it was newe.. I re-engineered a couple things, replaced one LG part with a nearly but not quite identical GE part and now it works fine.

Store the PDF of the manuals on ye-old-hard-drive.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times