Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Waterton National Park
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Waterton National Park

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/17 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The park is closed due to a wild fire and it has been evacuated. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/waterton-evacuation-mandatory-1.4281646

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

trigley

Central Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They saved the town site (barely) with the help of a sprinkler system they set up. Lost the Visitor centre and a few buildings plus a large part of the park was burnt. A few ranch houses outside the park as well.Click

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/17 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trigley, I have been following this with great interest as we have been there many times over the years. I was particularly worried about the people who run Waterton Springs Campground, where we have stayed many times. I was able to make contact with them and they told me they got out just in the nick of time. We also were wondering what happened to the buffalo in the paddock that is nearby. Being a retired city Firefighter, I'm glad the FFrs from Calgary and surrounding areas(Lethbridge, Taber, etc) did a great job protecting the hotel and the townsite. To those who fight forest fires, you have my respect and admiration for the very hard job that you do. The Park is a gem and we like going there much better than Banff and Lake Louise.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Waterton National Park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS