Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Afraid of Mice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Afraid of Mice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TNGW1500SE

Oliver Springs TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trap them. You can buy this or make your own using PVC and some PVC caps. It really works. I keep one "set" in my garage all the time. When I first used it I think I got 5. Now only one once in a while. The mice will be afraid of you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SIlYiiCGLI&t=13s

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I read on one of these forums about putting aluminum foil under and up a bit around the tires since that is the only entry point if not hooked up. I made a slight change since I thought putting foil under duals to be hard to do.

I took aluminum flashing cut it to allow a few inches all around the tire when parked on it and waxed it with car wax. It makes it too slick for them to climb up the tires. If not parked on cement put it on boards. Five years now and no mice.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C

luvourtoys

st. louis, missouri

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our trailer stays on our 6 acres at the lake, we have tried D-Con, peppermint oil, irish spring soap, nothing works for us. Last year we had pretty good luck sealing up as many holes as we could find with steel wool, a lot better than years past but we still had a few visitors. We were up over the weekend and they had already started in on our boat, spent all day Saturday cleaning it out. Good luck!

Jennifer
Husband Dennis
2 boys 11 and 18
1 dog Joe Boxer
2007 PUMA 29-FKSS at the Lake
2005 Bass Tracker PT175

kennethwooster

Perryton Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put poison rat poison in feeders that won't let anything in but rats and mice. I put them right by the tires. After a lot of years I've never had a mouse. However I've also been told that owner of the rental storage units sprays something around the buildings that deters the mice. That I'm not sure about. When you buy poison make sure it in balms the rodents.

kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although I never tried this, I've read that some folks obtain dried urine (I think it's fox) and use it to deter mice. The mice sense that there's a predator around (Hmm, maybe cat pee would work similarly). Don't know where you'd obtain it, though.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

hunter_rv

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with all of the ideas and do them all, it is a war. My rig is out in a pasture field and I intend to kill'em all.

The only additional level of protection that I added was MouseFree. I put that on the undercarriage and wheels of the camper. Expensive, but so is wiring replacement and complaints from the wife.

Kill as many outside first. but, be worried about some cats, they are weak. A mean old nasty farm cat or even better, a bobcat, will do the trick.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Although I never tried this, I've read that some folks obtain dried urine (I think it's fox) and use it to deter mice. The mice sense that there's a predator around (Hmm, maybe cat pee would work similarly). Don't know where you'd obtain it, though.

Predatorpee.com has it. I also use some of their other products to discourage other pests.

* This post was edited 09/12/17 05:38am by georgelesley *

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Preadatorpee.com has it. I also use some of their other products to discourage other pests.

Preadatorpee.com didn't work for me. Spelling????

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

georgelesley wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Preadatorpee.com has it. I also use some of their other products to discourage other pests.

Predatorpee.com. My bad sorry, thx for pointing it out. Have not had my morning coffee yet.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

georgelesley wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Now it works?????????? Predatorpee.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Afraid of Mice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS