Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Afraid of Mice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Afraid of Mice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are anywhere with rain, cold, or snow in winter, mice will move in for the shelter even if no food.

I agree you need a kitty or traps.

Poison is a bad idea because you may end up with an rv that smells like rotting corpses you cannot find. It's also not generally a great idea if there are kids or pets on the property.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 01:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a very infested barn or an unlimited mouse haul, a guy should build one of those bucket traps. A search will turn up various designs but they all are made with a pivoting center support over the water in the bucket. Mouse crawls out on baited rod, slips with turning rod, and enters the water. With this type of trap, a user doesn't have to empty traps for each kill.

I'm blessed with Ms Kitty, a rodent assassin. She has cleaned out most of my neighborhood I think.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike-s wrote:

There's all kinds of stuff you can do, none of which does a thing to keep them out -

Sure there is.
If they are DEAD they will not get into the RV. [emoticon]

Have you ever seen the "tamper proof" black bait stations around the outside perimeter of business and commercial buildings ??

The bait blocks used in them are very effective.
And if you think a larger animal might mess with them, they can be "staked" down or something like a patio block put on top.

They should be checked every 6 weeks or so and refilled as needed.

Likely that GENERATIONS of rodents have been using the barn for shelter. Your control efforts need to be year round.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

Tomcat bait chunks in bait stations outside.

No food in the area, no reason for mice to be inside.

First sentence, good.

Second one, not true at all.
Rodents are mammals. They like to get in from the cold as much as you and I do.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Mike-s, seal all holes that allow mice to get in.

I laid on my back under the MH with a spray can of foam and filled every crack/hole. Larger holes may require something like steel wool in addition to the foam.

After sealing all the holes I still had the occasional mouse until I made something to seal the hole that the power cord enters the MH through. Even with the cord in place there was enough space for a mouse to get in.

Haven't had a mouse in the RV in many years.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

After sealing all the holes I still had the occasional mouse until I made something to seal the hole that the power cord enters the MH through. Even with the cord in place there was enough space for a mouse to get in.

Haven't had a mouse in the RV in many years.

They call it a mouse hole for a reason. Pleased that my new TT has a removable power cord, and no hole.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mike-s

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walkdog wrote:

No paper that they want to tear apart and make a home. Then pray!
Just the opposite - if mice get in, they're going to make nests. If they don't find paper products, they won't turn around and leave, they'll find something else to use. Much, much, better if they find paper towels or TP to use than chewing up the curtains, linens, or seat covers (although they may well do that, too).

JohnG3

Morro Bay, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/17 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

For a very infested barn or an unlimited mouse haul, a guy should build one of those bucket traps. A search will turn up various designs but they all are made with a pivoting center support over the water in the bucket. Mouse crawls out on baited rod, slips with turning rod, and enters the water. With this type of trap, a user doesn't have to empty traps for each kill.

I'm blessed with Ms Kitty, a rodent assassin. She has cleaned out most of my neighborhood I think.

X2. Built several over the years. One year had 8 drowned mice after the bucket trap sat outside the 5er for just two days.

Also used the electric Bird X device. Only drawback is pets can be bothered by the noise.

John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike-s wrote:

Walkdog wrote:

No paper that they want to tear apart and make a home. Then pray!
Just the opposite - if mice get in, they're going to make nests. If they don't find paper products, they won't turn around and leave, they'll find something else to use. Much, much, better if they find paper towels or TP to use than chewing up the curtains, linens, or seat covers (although they may well do that, too).

Before I got rid of the mice, they built a nest out of the fiberglass insulation on the oven. The lack of paper didn't bother them.

Glad I found out, could have caused a fire.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had mice in my garage walls once,,turned a gheto blaster radio full volume up placed against a wall and let it rumble and shake while I was away,,
Mice dont like noise or vibrations like that and left by the time I got back..
Worth trying,,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Afraid of Mice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS