cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 JAYCO Greyhawk 25DS FW Tank size

Tim_Little
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie to RV'ing. Trying to verify what size the FW Tank is supposed to be.
- Just purchased a 2005 Jayco Greyhawk 25DS. The stats say this is supposed to be a 44 Gallon FW System (including 6 Gal W/H), so the tank should be 38 Gallons.
- I contacted Jayco and they said the same thing, that it should be 44 Gals w/Water Heater
- I have drained and filled the system at least 10 times, using a couple different flow gauges and it always starts overflowing at about 32 gallons (with Water Heater Filled)
- Has anyone with a supposed 44 gal FW System experienced this?
- Any thoughts or ideas?

Appreciate any help or guidance anyone can provide
6 REPLIES 6

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Appears you have a 32 gallon fresh water tank and a 6 gallon water heater.

It is what it is...regardless of published numbers

Exactly.

Every advertisement, website, or brochure from an RV manufacturer comes with this disclaimer or something similar.

" All information in this brochure and on www.jayco.com is the latest available at the time of publication approval. Jayco reserves the right to make changes and to discontinue models without notice or obligation."

Many people have went and looked on a dealers lot at an in stock unit and then had the dealer order one from the factory. Its quite the surprise when that ordered unit arrives and has different capacities, a different sofa, a wrap around dinette when the one looked at had slide in, etc etc etc. Usually by that point the dealer can say "gotcha" as the buyer did not get the deposit qualified as refundable. That language is there for a reason, and its only a CYA for both the manufacturer and the dealer.

When the OP's 2005 was on the line, they could have ran out of the correct tanks with the advertised capacity. In that case they throw in whatever they have that will fit, and keep the line moving.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Tim_Little
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the trickle method a couple times, didn't help.

I tried opening some faucets and pressure relief valve on W/H to bleed off any air pockets that may be forming (could even feel air bleeding out). I tried filling it close to "full", paused and charged up all the faucets, and then continued to fill. Still it starts overflowing right around 32 gallons.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
"What I do to completely fill it is adjust the flow rate out of the filler hose way down using an in-line valve I use. Using this "trickle fill" method I can completely fill the tank, but it takes 20-30 minutes to do it.

By the way, the motorhome's Ford chassis 55 gal. fuel tank acts the same way. If I trickle fill it after the station pump automatically shuts off, I can get another 5 gal. of gas into it. "

I have found on my itasca cambria that if I fill the water tank on level ground until it comes out of the overflow and check the amount using the gauges inside it doesn't register full, using the trickle method allows more water into the tank, it may spill a bit when making a turn but going out into the desert a full tank is best.I also turn on the hot water side and let it it run so the heater fills.

Fuel. When the pump shuts off I can get at least 6 gallons usually 7 gallons more fuel into the tank using the slow fill method. Takes a few minutes but the fish will wait.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may not be filling your FW tank all the way each time you think it is full.

We have about the same setup in our 2005 Itasca Class C -> 45 gal. of FW including 6 gal in the water heater.

HOWEVER ... each time I fill it with the filler hose on full flow the tank will NOT fill fully ... the water starts running back out of the filler spout onto the ground well before the tank is full. There is some kind of air pocket that must be forming in the filler tube or tank that eventually forms and prevents the FW tank from filling completely. It's been that way since I bought the RV, new, 11 years ago. I've checked the filling tube many times and see nothing in the tube our it's routing that could be causing this.

What I do to completely fill it is adjust the flow rate out of the filler hose way down using an in-line valve I use. Using this "trickle fill" method I can completely fill the tank, but it takes 20-30 minutes to do it.

By the way, the motorhome's Ford chassis 55 gal. fuel tank acts the same way. If I trickle fill it after the station pump automatically shuts off, I can get another 5 gal. of gas into it.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Appears you have a 32 gallon fresh water tank and a 6 gallon water heater.

It is what it is...regardless of published numbers
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
There was a thread a few months ago about this very subject.I cannot find it to verify the make/model of the trailer
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind