cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towed Vehicle Tires

Retired_VSP
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from Alaska, 11,039 miles to be exact. ...towed a Honda Accord. Noticed tires on the Accord are rough riding. 4,100 actual miles and 17,000 mIles tow. Now I've been told from my tire tech that all four tires are cupped due to being towed...tires only 16 months old. Accord has been towed total of 30,000 miles no problems. Last set of tires rode rough but I thought it was caused by age...these are B.F. Goodrich new tires. Guess I'll be buying tires...hmmm.
Bobby and Lynda
Retired VSP and High School Counselor, respectively
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value".....Albert Einstein
15 REPLIES 15

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Retired VSP wrote:
ArchHoagland wrote:
You mentioned rough riding...what is the tire pressure set at on those tires?

Door recommended info has 32 front and 30 rear...I thought about increasing that to maybe smooth out a little.

Increasing the tire pressure will make it ride rougher.

If you are going to replace the tires, go to Michelin tires. They ride smoother.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Retired_VSP
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:

Door recommended info has 32 front and 30 rear...I thought about increasing that to maybe smooth out a little.
Bobby and Lynda
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value".....Albert Einstein

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cupping is usually balance and/or shocks. Any clumps of mud inside the wheels to make them bounce?

Retired_VSP
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
hipower wrote:
That's a BS opinion. A rolling tire doesn't know if is being driven or towed.

Certainly this is true from the perspective of the axle and tire, but there may be a difference with respect to the steering and suspension.

When driving, the power steering is controlling the wheels. When towing, the wheels are acting like castors and without the force applied by the power steering, it may be possible that there is enough play and they are oscillating back and forth. May not be evident from the drivers seat, but it may be enough to cup the tires over time.

This can be especially true if the Honda Accord has electric steering. It is well documented that the feedback from the electric steering can cause a wobble to set up in some vehicles.

That's the way it was explained by my tire tech...this could be a combination of alignment and failing to rotate also, before the Alaska trip....lesson learned. B F Goodrich did advise me that there may be something they can offer me since the tires only have low milage.and they are softer rubber ..thanks everyone for your thoughts on this.
Bobby and Lynda

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
hipower wrote:

Certainly this is true from the perspective of the axle and tire, but there may be a difference with respect to the steering and suspension.

When driving, the power steering is controlling the wheels. When towing, the wheels are acting like castors and without the force applied by the power steering, it may be possible that there is enough play and they are oscillating back and forth. May not be evident from the drivers seat, but it may be enough to cup the tires over time.

This can be especially true if the Honda Accord has electric steering. It is well documented that the feedback from the electric steering can cause a wobble to set up in some vehicles.
I have towed my Accord for over 70,000 miles. This has included the life span of three sets of Michelins(the car has another 160,000 non-towed miles). The tires have been rotated regularly and my alignment has been checked and adjusted when needed. There is no difference in the wear on my tires due to towing.....NONE.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
hipower wrote:

2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
hipower wrote:

As a rule, that is true. However, if the OP's towing setup is not correct, (too high, too low, etc.) the car would not be towed the same as being driven. I've seen some strange towing setups over the years. Often you simply shake your head wondering what they were thinking....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

hipower
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have towed many thousand of miles w/o problems

Cupping suggests a problem.. LIkely alignment..

NOTE: Many people will see the tow gear and say "Ah, An Excuse so I don't have to fix it"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Retired VSP wrote:
Just returned from Alaska, 11,039 miles to be exact. ...towed a Honda Accord. Noticed tires on the Accord are rough riding. 4,100 actual miles and 17,000 mIles tow. Now I've been told from my tire tech that all four tires are cupped due to being towed...tires only 16 months old. Accord has been towed total of 30,000 miles no problems. Last set of tires rode rough but I thought it was caused by age...these are B.F. Goodrich new tires. Guess I'll be buying tires...hmmm.

BF Goodrich tires have soft rubber. More likely to wear, especially if the Car was not correctly aligned. Ask your Tire tech what is different towing than driving?????? What does towing have to do with tire damage. The Auto is just following you. Doug

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
No issue with the tires on the Accord or CRV from towing or otherwise.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alignment problem

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed mine 80,000 miles and no tire problems.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter