Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Finding gas stops - any tricks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Finding gas stops - any tricks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/17 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We Have Next Stop and Truckers Atlas and a couple other sources.
Our Rand McNally GPS has them if you keep it updated or connected to laptop, plus traffic.
We never activated the Sirius link on the radio. Perhaps should. It will have fuel stops and prices, if our radio in the coach had a screen. It does in the car.
Those with GPS or screen linked to Sirius will have that and road conditions, wrecks construction etc ahead. It can show show problems with a short range or construction areas way up the road, closed roads and so on.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

We never activated the Sirius link on the radio. Perhaps should. It will have fuel stops and prices, if our radio in the coach had a screen. It does in the car. n.

see current thread on sirius in RVs
bumpy

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/17 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I go to Google Maps locate the area where I know I will be needing to fill up and search for service stations. Then I look at them in Satellite View to narrow my selections then finally in Street View. In street view I look at the orientation of the pumps and the approach in and out of the stations,if I see gouges in the entry and exit I keep looking.
As far as "A truck driver pulling a 48' tanker manages to get fuel into those gas stations...you CAN DO IT."
A: Some of us are pulling toads so to back up we have unhook or unload not fun.
B: There is huge difference in the access in and out of the fuel islands than where the tanker truck goes to.
C: Semis and tankers do have higher ground clearance so steep approaches and exits that they can handle can cause lots of problems for many RV
D: I have seen some tankers having to back up in the service stations off of a busy street not something that I would like to do

Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/17 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas Buddy and head for the lowest price with in reasonable distance to my route. Look for how will I exit before you pull into a pump. If you can't visualize an exit find another station they are plentiful. Biggest issue for me is not all fuel islands have diesel, you learn to look for the yellow or green handles and plan accordingly.

2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 King Ranch Crew longbed
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 longbed airbags
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5 BHLT sold
2007 Layton 250LT sold

F1bNorm

Gardena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some thoughts:
On the way in to a camp ground I keep an eye out for a convenient gas station to fill up before leaving.

If towing a car, I fill up before hitching the car. DW gets coffee or breakfast and we meet in a convenient parking lot to hitch up (the car).

If the hiway sign says, for example, next 3 exits for such and such town, I take the first exit and drive parallel to the hiway and usually find a convenient station.

Use the GPS gas station locator and find a clump of stations so I have a choice.

Start looking when down to the last 1/4 tank, not when the warning light comes on.

F1BNorm

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

My biggest hassle when traveling long distances with the tt is finding gas stops. With a 37 gallon tank I need to stop every 200-250 miles, and with a 35' bumper pull I am upwards of 54' in total length and getting regular gas. Many a trip has had me wondering on and off exits multiple times before I find a place to stop.

With a 2,600 round trip coming up late next month, that I will be doing solo, I am particularly aware of this hassle and am wondering if anyone has found any good apps or other guidance that helps select stops.

I tried the Next Exit book when we first started camping about 7 years ago and found that most of the listed didn't really show where I could readily fill up while hooked up. Has it gotten any better? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

I only traveled in Canada and there are always signs on the highways showing distance to the next town,city and gas station,,even up North.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

I tried the Next Exit book when we first started camping about 7 years ago and found that most of the listed didn't really show where I could readily fill up while hooked up. Has it gotten any better? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

I found that most all of the stations that they had marked in red were reasonably decent to access pumps while I had a toad hooked up. they surely didn't require backing into the pumps. one nice setup I saw was a station that had the pump islands perpendicular to the building and the outer two pumps were marked for RVs. you could pull in along side the island and then exit by going around behind the building. worked great.
bumpy

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ready Mickey?

You need gasoline not diesel, so many truck stops will be of no use as they think only passcars use gasoline.

It goes like this. (It is what I do regularly.)
You need:
A smartphone that can be a hotspot or the single device that does.
A laptop
An old (there are no new) copy of Street Atlas or Streets and Trips. It will be useless for actual navigation because the charts are so old. But, hang on here.

Get the program running on the laptop and use it to do you base plan. Be sure to fill in the fuel data. Now, it will tell you where you should be looking for fuel (they build in some reserve).

On the laptop, fire the browser to GasBuddy. Use that to locate the good price about that location. Also look just across state lines (i.e. Don't buy fuel in Michigan, Illinois etc). Sometimes you may want to fuel 50~100 miles sooner to save the money.

When you have a fuel stop target, then fire up Google Earth and look at the possible fuel stops from over head. If one is interesting, but problematic, go to Street View and see what you think.

Now that you have bought fuel, put the stop in your plan on the laptop so it can effective guess your next stop.

If you have a dedicated navigator onboard, this can take a lot of load off the driver and make travel more relaxing. If you do, you will also want a 150watt inverter to run the laptop from the vehicle 12V.

This is what we have been doing for 20+ years right along with the technology upgrades. Now with there being no replacement for SA and S&T, it is more difficult, but it is still not too tough.

There is a free website called Furkot that can do a lot of this, but it is web-based and not much use on the red roads out west or anyplace else without good data coverage.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

Ready Mickey?

You need gasoline not diesel, so many truck stops will be of no use as they think only passcars use gasoline.

It goes like this. (It is what I do regularly.)
You need:
A smartphone that can be a hotspot or the single device that does.
A laptop
An old (there are no new) copy of Street Atlas or Streets and Trips. It will be useless for actual navigation because the charts are so old. But, hang on here.

Get the program running on the laptop and use it to do you base plan. Be sure to fill in the fuel data. Now, it will tell you where you should be looking for fuel (they build in some reserve).

On the laptop, fire the browser to GasBuddy. Use that to locate the good price about that location. Also look just across state lines (i.e. Don't buy fuel in Michigan, Illinois etc). Sometimes you may want to fuel 50~100 miles sooner to save the money.

When you have a fuel stop target, then fire up Google Earth and look at the possible fuel stops from over head. If one is interesting, but problematic, go to Street View and see what you think.

Now that you have bought fuel, put the stop in your plan on the laptop so it can effective guess your next stop.

If you have a dedicated navigator onboard, this can take a lot of load off the driver and make travel more relaxing. If you do, you will also want a 150watt inverter to run the laptop from the vehicle 12V.

This is what we have been doing for 20+ years right along with the technology upgrades. Now with there being no replacement for SA and S&T, it is more difficult, but it is still not too tough.

There is a free website called Furkot that can do a lot of this, but it is web-based and not much use on the red roads out west or anyplace else without good data coverage.

Matt

If I had to go to that much trouble, I would just fly.
bumpy

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The National Truck Directory includes RV information.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Finding gas stops - any tricks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS