Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Finding gas stops - any tricks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Finding gas stops - any tricks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My biggest hassle when traveling long distances with the tt is finding gas stops. With a 37 gallon tank I need to stop every 200-250 miles, and with a 35' bumper pull I am upwards of 54' in total length and getting regular gas. Many a trip has had me wondering on and off exits multiple times before I find a place to stop.

With a 2,600 round trip coming up late next month, that I will be doing solo, I am particularly aware of this hassle and am wondering if anyone has found any good apps or other guidance that helps select stops.

I tried the Next Exit book when we first started camping about 7 years ago and found that most of the listed didn't really show where I could readily fill up while hooked up. Has it gotten any better? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get the Next Exit or similar book that covers all exits at all interstates. the RV friendly ones were highlighted in red.

bumpy

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use truck stops.
They are near every large city

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It takes a bit, of time and researching but even just 'satellite view' on Google Maps gives you a pretty good idea of what's along your route.

If you're travelling along the Interstate system you'll generally find gas stations advertise 'EZ on / off" on the billboards. Even if there's no mention, it's easy enough to go down the ramp, have a look, and if not get right back on again.

I routinely tow disassembled aircraft (25'ish feet long) behind a motorhome and I don't seem to find very many gas stations along the highways that I can't get in & out of.

firemedic1992

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the Trucker Path app

Here

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're close to 60' long (gas RV) and usually stop for gas at Flying J and use their RV islands. Plan B is to use the Next Exit book and look for stations listed in red (although sometimes their idea of RV friendly is not my idea) or a local station near the Next Exit suggested station that has pumps either parallel to the street or an end pump adjacent to a side entrance. Plan C is to use our Pioneer Fuel/Pacific Pride account and fuel there. Their stations are everywhere and can easily accommodate semis and any size RV. The only issue with Pioneer/PP is the gas prices are not posted. That's why they are our Plan C.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

PghBob

Pittsburgh PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up a free copy of a booklet that lists the Flying J and Pilot truck stops and the services that are available at each. Get one at Flying J. Not all are RV friendly.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas buddy gives you available stations. From the list select the truck stops. In my 30+ years traveling all over the country I have only seen a hand full of gas stations that were not fairly easy access.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. We have a 26ft TT and found there are many gas stations,especially around cities that are not RV friendly. We also use Flying J and Pilots. They have an app that shows which stations have RV pumps and which don't. I have found on occassion that some RVer's don't move from the pumps after they're done fueling. But most RVers are courteous and move when they are done.

doxiemom11

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use Gas Buddy to locate the best prices, then use google satelite/steet view to check out the layout. We are 36' pulling a trailer, so 42' and can use most stations.

'

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Finding gas stops - any tricks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS