Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fork Pickens Florida...Sept 18th. Other options?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Fork Pickens Florida...Sept 18th. Other options?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
imq707s

Springfield, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family has been planning this trip to Fort Pickens campground near Pensacola Florida for the last several months. We are/were scheduled to arrive down there September 18th. With all this talk of Hurricane Irma doing lots of damage and flooding in that area.....I'm wondering what some other options would be father west of there?

Any ideas would be great....preferable some place by the ocean.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obvious the path can change, but it appears the Florida panhandle, including Pensacola, will be spared from the hurricane. It is late enough now that the predicted path will probably be pretty accurate. But a call to the park early next week after it passes to check status would be a good idea.

coachjeff

St. Charles, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure of the affect that this will have on this area but we have stayed there and they tell you to be prepared to move out quick because of the road to the park flooding as it is right at sea level.

Me, Wife, 4 kids and a dog
2016 Surveyor 265RLDS
2005 Chevy Suburban 4 wheel drive.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wait until Thursday or Friday next week and give them a call.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the predictions on Irma I would not consider FL save it for another year. Go north or west. You don't want in an area that's just had a natural disaster the entire state will be in recovery mode even if Pensacola is not a direct hit.

2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 King Ranch Crew longbed
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 longbed airbags
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5 BHLT sold
2007 Layton 250LT sold

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

imq707s wrote:

My family has been planning this trip to Fort Pickens campground near Pensacola Florida for the last several months. We are/were scheduled to arrive down there September 18th. With all this talk of Hurricane Irma doing lots of damage and flooding in that area.....I'm wondering what some other options would be father west of there?

Any ideas would be great....preferable some place by the ocean.

Who really knows what will happen but just down the road in Alabama - Map of Gulf Shores

Link

Just a thought,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

Pine Barren

Northwest Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/17 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As of now we here in Pensacola are not in the cone. We may get some tropical storm winds u less it changes course. Like others have told you it would be best to call toward the end of the week. The road to fort Pickens does wash out pretty bad on severe thunderstorms that come in off the gulf the surge wil be the biggest thing right now as it is forecast.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/17 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the states 160 miles wide Irma's about 400 and currently headed up the west coast, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, are in it's predicted path. If your not headed in to help the victims find another spot, a week after the devastation? Everyone's going to have their hands full.

imq707s

Springfield, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ordinary I would pick another destination......but there are some things that we are locked into, and would lose a decent about of money if we canceled the trip.

As of right now, it doesn't look like Pensacola is getting anything but some rain....and by later this week, Irma should be completely gone.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/17 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would stick to your plan, that area of Florida got pretty much misses.
By 9/18 I would expect that the Over Seas highway to Key West will be open and the Keys will be open for business. Florida, is well versed in how to deal with the aftermath of a Hurricane.

Heck, less than a week after Wilma in 2005, we flew into Ft. Lauderdale and drove down to Key West, and they had taken a good hit from Wilma. We didn't see any closed business, and had a great time.

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig (Passed), Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 302,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Fork Pickens Florida...Sept 18th. Other options?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS