cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fork Pickens Florida...Sept 18th. Other options?

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
My family has been planning this trip to Fort Pickens campground near Pensacola Florida for the last several months. We are/were scheduled to arrive down there September 18th. With all this talk of Hurricane Irma doing lots of damage and flooding in that area.....I'm wondering what some other options would be father west of there?

Any ideas would be great....preferable some place by the ocean.
12 REPLIES 12

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
Reserve America shows it being open now, but the campground store is closed until further notice. No idea if that closure has anything to do with Irma.

Campground store was closed last year when I was there. I suspect there was a problem getting a vendor to operate it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Reserve America shows it being open now, but the campground store is closed until further notice. No idea if that closure has anything to do with Irma.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't get anything but a little wind out of the north and a little rain. Storm surge shouldn't have been a problem. You should be good to go I would call the park to make sure. I heard from a friend that not a lot of damage until you get a lot further down past Tallahassee.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would stick to your plan, that area of Florida got pretty much misses.
By 9/18 I would expect that the Over Seas highway to Key West will be open and the Keys will be open for business. Florida, is well versed in how to deal with the aftermath of a Hurricane.

Heck, less than a week after Wilma in 2005, we flew into Ft. Lauderdale and drove down to Key West, and they had taken a good hit from Wilma. We didn't see any closed business, and had a great time.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
Ordinary I would pick another destination......but there are some things that we are locked into, and would lose a decent about of money if we canceled the trip.

As of right now, it doesn't look like Pensacola is getting anything but some rain....and by later this week, Irma should be completely gone.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the states 160 miles wide Irma's about 400 and currently headed up the west coast, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, are in it's predicted path. If your not headed in to help the victims find another spot, a week after the devastation? Everyone's going to have their hands full.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
As of now we here in Pensacola are not in the cone. We may get some tropical storm winds u less it changes course. Like others have told you it would be best to call toward the end of the week. The road to fort Pickens does wash out pretty bad on severe thunderstorms that come in off the gulf the surge wil be the biggest thing right now as it is forecast.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
imq707s wrote:
My family has been planning this trip to Fort Pickens campground near Pensacola Florida for the last several months. We are/were scheduled to arrive down there September 18th. With all this talk of Hurricane Irma doing lots of damage and flooding in that area.....I'm wondering what some other options would be father west of there?

Any ideas would be great....preferable some place by the ocean.

Who really knows what will happen but just down the road in Alabama - Map of Gulf Shores

Link

Just a thought,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
With the predictions on Irma I would not consider FL save it for another year. Go north or west. You don't want in an area that's just had a natural disaster the entire state will be in recovery mode even if Pensacola is not a direct hit.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Wait until Thursday or Friday next week and give them a call.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coachjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of the affect that this will have on this area but we have stayed there and they tell you to be prepared to move out quick because of the road to the park flooding as it is right at sea level.
Me, Wife, 4 kids and a dog
2016 Surveyor 265RLDS
2012 Chevy 3/4 Ton Suburban 4 wheel drive.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Obvious the path can change, but it appears the Florida panhandle, including Pensacola, will be spared from the hurricane. It is late enough now that the predicted path will probably be pretty accurate. But a call to the park early next week after it passes to check status would be a good idea.