cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best trailer tires?

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering a long road trip and thinking about replacing my tires to prevent any issues.
My trailer will probably be around 8k lbs or so.
If price wasn't a factor, what is the best 15 or 16" trailer tire?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
14 REPLIES 14

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I had Maxxis on 2 RVs with no issues, now have Sailuns on new RV. I would recommend either one.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good info.
More choices than I realized.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Best tire for long term service is one that fits the trailers axle rating plus around 15-20 percent reserve load capacity. Trailers unlike a truck can have too much tire and of course too little tire.
I see too many new folks with lighter weight trailers with OEM 14" tires think they need a 16" 4080-4400 lb/110 psi load G Sailun because thats what many folks with larger trailers (6k-78k-8k axles) are going too.

The best tires for any trailer (rv and non rv) are a commercial grade ST ot LT all steel ply carcass if your expecting 50k-60k miles and up to 7-10 years of trouble free service.

Next down will be poly carcass LT or ST tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Take a look at Bridgestone R250

Love mine. Not cheap but twice the tire as the STs that came off.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
I have Goodyear Endurance ST and have about 4K. Miles on them. Happy at this point.. Just need to see how long they last. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
No doubt any high quality LT tire with equal or better rated capacity would indeed be an improvement over ST tires if you can go with a 16" rim. Our TT can be as heavy as 10K# fully loaded with water and toys, but most often we are averaging roughly 9K#.

We have been pretty fortunate as we have never had a blowout over the last decade using Maxxis ST tires, we do religiously replace our ST tires every four years and the Maxxis tires were starting to show the same issues that plague ST tires in general.

We even got 3 seasons out of the stock Chinese ST tires, but we went up a load rating from D to E when we installed our Maxxis ST tires. We always keep our ST tires filled to max psi which keeps them from overheating, we do travel above 65mph occasionally.

My brother and a couple of our good friends have tried the redesigned Carlisle HD ST tires with good results. Our neighbor had a new set of Goodyear Endurance ST tires put on his rig earlier this year, he likes them but states it's too early to gauge their overall reliability.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Tire Thread!!!!! Yeeeehaawwwwwww!!!!!!!

XPS Ribs on my trailer.
If I did it again, Bridgestone Duravis 250. Cheaper than the Ribs but just as good.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded to Endurance on my boat trailer earlier this year. IMO, they are worth the extra money. The boat went from having an uncomfortable amount of trailer sway (when towed behind my Yukon XL), to virtually none.

I had terrible luck with Marathon tires, but so far, I am very impressed with these.

I agree with the comments about 16" tires. I would go with some sort of LT.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take a look at Bridgestone R250

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Anything NOT made in China.

Tires on my toy hauler are Michelin XPS Ribs. They are a commercial truck tire also certified for trailers. Excellent tire.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Top line LT that covers the full GVWR is 'best' IMO. Going to be 16"+
I have recently moved from MAXXIS to Goodyear Endurance with my trailer (15")

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Goodyear Endurance.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
In 15 inch Maxxus, Salune and now Good Year Endurance are getting decent reviews,
In 16 inch any LT tire that at least equals axle rating will be fine.