Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Receiving Direct tv on the road
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Receiving Direct tv on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
we3

Birnamwood Wi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Direct tv at home and very happy with it. This winter we are heading south and would like to take it with us. There is a app where we can communicate with our HR24 at home and stream to our iPhone for viewing. The problem is this app is garbage, it has terrible reviews. Next is to take our receiver with us and purchase a HD dish/with tripod which is large and difficult to set up while moving several times a week. Could purchase roof mount with auto alignment however I have heard many stories of trees blocking signal while parked. Purchase SD dish/with tripod which is smaller and easier to align with acceptable viewing however can not be used with a HR24. I possibly could purchase a SD receiver however I have grown accustom to recording shows when I am elsewhere and don't want to change. Also I am not interested in changing Sat companies. Also streaming off WIFI in campgrounds is impossible/unacceptable.
I know there is a wealth of info out there so would appreciate any help.

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can log into your directv account and watch on your computer. Get yourself a hotspot for internet connection.

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

we3

Birnamwood Wi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darsben1 wrote:

You can log into your directv account and watch on your computer. Get yourself a hotspot for internet connection.

That is what this Direct tv app is suppose to do but very few people have success with it.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in the same predicament. I first took the SD box from home and installed it into the coax system in my trailer. Nothing but problems. The portable antenna took time to set up and there were times I never found the 101 satellite; very frustrating.

We now have the wireless Genie system at home and take it with us. Nice thing is the three TV's we have hooked up to it can each watch a different channel. And it's not part of the trailer's coax as the Genies use HDMI. I installed the Travler on the roof and only once haven't been able to lock on to the three satellites for HD viewing. Push a button and the Travler does all the work. Wireless Genie is a great system.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

we3

Birnamwood Wi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I was in the same predicament. I first took the SD box from home and installed it into the coax system in my trailer. Nothing but problems. The portable antenna took time to set up and there were times I never found the 101 satellite; very frustrating.

We now have the wireless Genie system at home and take it with us. Nice thing is the three TV's we have hooked up to it can each watch a different channel. And it's not part of the trailer's coax as the Genies use HDMI. I installed the Travler on the roof and only once haven't been able to lock on to the three satellites for HD viewing. Push a button and the Travler does all the work. Wireless Genie is a great system.

We also have the wireless Genie at home however I understand that all it does is get signal from the H24 receiver. We do camp in state parks often where I am even concerned about getting a signal with a tripod.

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we3 wrote:

darsben1 wrote:

That is what this Direct tv app is suppose to do but very few people have success with it.

Do not know about the app. Using the WWW and logging into my account via my laptop always works

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, the Genie is HR44-. Take the Genie, mini genie for each additional TV you want. Buy a decent ground based system on line for around 200 dollars and wire it up in the RV exactly like at home and your set to go. Usualy takes me about 15 minutes to get setup. Roof top dishes are expensive have horrible customer service. Just ask me how I know.

* This post was edited 09/08/17 08:50am by donn0128 *

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are going south you do NOT need the big slimline dish to get HD. I have posted several times about using a 18x22 multi sat dish plus a SL3 lnb on a small tripod. Using a APP for finding where 99/101/103 are located makes setting up fairly easy. Plumb the mast of the tripod, set the tilt and elevation for your location and rotate slowly in the correct direction using the signal meter in your receiver. With practice less than 5 minutes if you do a good job of plumbing/leveling the mast of the tripod.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
Where am I?
How I spend the winter.

drmopar

Discovery Bay

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in the same situation with my Boat. I wanted Direct TV afloat anywhere. I installed a "Trac Vision" dome that receives all channels all the time, even when traveling. I think Direct TV only charged me an additional $5.00 per month along with my home service. Just install and view anywhere or anytime, even while moving.

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Receiving Direct tv on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS