Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: For the gas RV Fifth Wheel Hauler's out here.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> For the gas RV Fifth Wheel Hauler's out here.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mommytwo6girls

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone,

I've been researching for a used 6 sitter truck. That can tow a fifth wheel GVWR 17K. Boy, it is truly a mind blowing experience!
I started with diesel. But, from my research. Diesel would use a lot of unwanted gas consumption using it as my everyday vehicle. We live in New England and the hard starting at 6:30am 5 days week to get my girls to school. That would be a challenge I think.
my girls and I only RV 2 months in the summer. Then a few weekends in the Spring/Fall. Then it goes into hibernation for the New England winter.
Right now I'm towing our Jayco Flight 32 TSBH GVWR 10,900LBS with a Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab gas/FlexFuel.. GVWR12,200LBS/10,000LBS!

I have talked with my mechanic and he told me, nope do not get diesel... Just put adds on your F250 gasser and it'll do just fine.... Umm, after researching, reading tons of stuff... He could be putting my children and my life in harms way with 17K LBS behind us going 60 on a freeway in our F250.

Can anyone who pulls a fifth wheel with a gas truck help me in determining if that's impossible to do or if there is a used truck floating out there for sale. That can pull it safely and not prematurely damage the gas engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A fifth wheel with a GVWR of 17K is too big for an F250 IMO. That's 1-Ton territory.

"Diesel would use a lot of unwanted gas consumption using it as my everyday vehicle."

Don't know who told you that when a diesel gets better mpg than a gasser.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Mommytwo6girls

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Rod.
That's what I thought. My heart dropped when researching adds on my truck... When I ran over a few videos of wrecks pertaining to over loaded trucks pulling RVs....
A few forums with gas vers diesel. A few examples did say diesel as a everyday run around town, stop/go would use more. How I made that assumption.

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at the sticker on the drivers side door frame?
It will give you tons of info. If you post the numbers people can guide you.

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 17K you're looking at newer 350/3500 Duallies. The newer crop of Diesels have glow plugs to help with cold weather starting, plus for northern area sales, a block heater is a mandatory option (at least with GMs), which allows you to plug the truck in during extreme cold temps. Also most of the current Diesels will probably get better mileage than your 250 both solo and towing.

2011 Chevy 3500HD Ext Cab DRW, Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual ACs, Fireplace, Sleep # Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

delete mispost

* This post was edited 09/07/17 04:09pm by darsben1 *

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get the diesel don't buy one without the supplemental heater and heated seats. Either that or you better buy the best coat, hat, gloves, and thermal underwear you can find - you're going to freeze to death in that diesel.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep your present 12k 5er or replace with new one at that weight. Is this new one going to get you excluded from any of your favorite places?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

Mommytwo6girls

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone.

Darsben1,
I've gone and looked at only 2 diesels so far. I'll definitely start taking pictures of the side door sticker of the trucks I see in person. Just for my search in a used truck.
Michelle. S,
I've look online for trucks built in 13-15 and so many have been used to plow the tons of snow we have up here. I see how the snowplow companies beat their trucks first hand. It worries me on the longevity of the Diesel engine for the girls and I.

Mommytwo6girls

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wing_zealot lol!
Lol, Some things we do for RVing.
If I can't find a gas 1ton truck that can tow.
Then the search will go heavy into finding a good used diesel.
At the start of my search. I went looking at a 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 - Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB. It had 86,000 miles on it. It was beautiful. But, I was just starting out the search and moving from gas is scary too me. If I had the 80-90K for a new diesel. I wouldn't be that scared...
If that makes sense.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> For the gas RV Fifth Wheel Hauler's out here.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS