Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Looking for Opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Looking for Opinions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SusanDallas wrote:

I would buy a truck that is a couple of years old. This would help with the monthly payments and buy it from a dealership that will give you a warranty for Free. If you buy a class A - C, the engine and other mechanical parts will eventually wear out. With a travel trailer, you can replace your vehicle at any time but your travel trailer will last forever as long as you take care of it. My dad was a car dealer. He advised me never to buy a new car. You are upside down by thousands of dollars the minute you drive it of the lot.

He was right,, just remember every one drives a used car. (think bout it)

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

sac89

Dover, DE

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the insight. The original thought behind this post was to get opinions as far as:

a) Drive truck and tow Trailer or
b) Drive MH and tow a vehicle.

All I was looking for was preferences, pros v cons of each.

This was not intended to be a discussion on money, but all of your responses really make you think about priorities when it comes to toys. Am I debt free? no. Would I like to be, Sure! This discussion morphed into a financially responsible discussion very quickly, and I appreciate that. You have given me things to think about. I have not convinced myself to make a change as of yet, I was just thinking out loud that my truck is a tad small for my current TT, and wanted to hear thoughts about switching things up a bit.

Always a great discussion on here, I appreciate all of the points of view. If I did decide to make a change, I like the idea of downsizing my TT to one my current truck can handle and go from there.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sac89 wrote:

This was not intended to be a discussion on money, but all of your responses really make you think about priorities when it comes to toys.

Yeah, I always hate it when someone (DW) talks financial sense to me [emoticon]

Good luck with your decision.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed

Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(If I add up my current truck payments and my current TT payment, it is quite hefty. Any new truck will increase that payment.

VS

taking that total payment for the two, and purchase a Class C or A or even a Diesel pusher and tow a car that I already own.

Thoughts?)

Apparently, the OP included cost in his comparison. Cost is a major factor for many of us. If you need advice on other comparisons, its a matter of personal preference and need. If I were to stay long term in various locations, I would opt for the biggest 5th wh and a diesel to pull it. One thing I noticed in class C's is the lack of counter space in most models. If you're going to anticipate moving around often, either an under 30 ft 5th wheel or MH/Class C would work well, albeit compromises for counter space and possibly storage.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just like old peoples underwear.....the answer is "depends."
You've given no other real information for anyone to reccomend one way or the other.
And even if you did, there are many of your own circumstances or situational things that could sway the decision.
Happy Friday!

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The forum is a good start and only that. No one can touch all basis for a comparison for you in a short format. You need to get informed yourself and only deeper research and soul searching for what works for you should be considered. I can only say what works for me, not anyone else. I have had RV's since '85, and can only pass on my own experience. Hope you got something out of all the replies made, and like I said, further research is needed by you to find the appropriate rig.

Campinfan

Washtenaw County, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Michigan, trailer plates are a one time expense. About $200.00. Vehicle plates are based on value so the MH would be more $$$ and yearly. Then I would think about maintenance...oil changes, etc... how much and where to find a mechanic to work on a MH. Then how many drive trains do I want to maintain? That is what I would consider. Others have other priorities and needs.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

totally depends on you and how you live.

do you need a truck?
we do cause we live on big acreage and farm and do other things so that truck works double duty......so no motorhome and pull car for us cause the truck is a priority for us.

you decide what is your priority and go for it!

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retire, buy a class A, a really nice top of the class A world one, and finance it for 20 years so the payment is as low as you can get it. Now you have money to put aside for fuel and maintenance hopefully, and chances also are that your going to be taking the dirt nap before its ever paid off. So when you hit the dirt the thing gets repossessed by the bank, they sell it at auction, take the rest of the loss as a write off and everyones happy, except maybe you LOL.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whatever you do, the cost can vary a lot depending on used vs. new. We bought our 30 ft. 2003 Itasca over 3 years ago for $23,000 and tow a 2012 Chevy Sonic bought used in 2013 for about $15,000 for a total of $38,000. Same stuff new- total $116,000. Personally, i wouldn't have loans and make payments on an RV or the car. So we've had no loans no payments. I know many of you think it's not possible but it sure is a great goal to plan for and it can be done. We are not wealthy.

Jayco-noslide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Looking for Opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS