Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Looking for Opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Looking for Opinions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with looking into a trailer your current truck can handle.
A MH and car would be my ultimate choice. Remmeber to get a car that can be towed four down or check your current car to see if it can be towed four down or dolly(another cost)
What is your current truck? Is it a daily driver?

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can come close in price with either combo, especially if you buy used. A decent 5th wheel used can be had for around "20,000. A truck with a diesel may run around 30-35 used with low mileage or 30,000 new for a Ram with the 6.4 gasser. Used class C's and A's generally have low mileage on them compared to trucks of the same age, unless of course you buy from a rental company.
Bare in mind that you will pay insurance for two vehicles with the C's and A's. A trailer is cheaper to insure. If the trailer is paid off, liability is covered by the tow vehicle without any additional cost. Diesel pushers can be expensive to buy. Lots of luck.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ignoring the debt question, here is my opinion. If you travel a lot of miles and a lot of travel days each year with your RV then a MH would be my first choice. If you only travel a few miles or actual travel days per year no matter how many days you spend in the RV then a TT or 5er would be the choice. Can't see a good reason to have a MH you drive 20 days per year and let it sit idle 345 days.

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Ignoring the debt question, here is my opinion. If you travel a lot of miles and a lot of travel days each year with your RV then a MH would be my first choice. If you only travel a few miles or actual travel days per year no matter how many days you spend in the RV then a TT or 5er would be the choice. Can't see a good reason to have a MH you drive 20 days per year and let it sit idle 345 days.

^^^^ this^^^^

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

jarata1

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree you already have a loan for camper now you want a loan for truck also don't get in over your head for something you don't use a whole lot you live in delCamping isn't a cheap hobby

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

I'd dump the trailer and get one that the truck can tow.
get them paid off prior to moving up.

sounds like a plan to me. since we have no information of age of items, value, condition,amount owed, etc. is the current car even towable?
bumpy

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every arrangement has it's pros and cons and a lot depends on your style and budget. We've had pop-ups, hybrid, and 5th wheel. Now we have a 30 ft. Class C( bought used for $23000) towing a small car and it's the best to me. Love the on-board generator, easy back-in and having the 35 MPG car to drive around in.

Jayco-noslide

SusanDallas

Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would buy a truck that is a couple of years old. This would help with the monthly payments and buy it from a dealership that will give you a warranty for Free. If you buy a class A - C, the engine and other mechanical parts will eventually wear out. With a travel trailer, you can replace your vehicle at any time but your travel trailer will last forever as long as you take care of it. My dad was a car dealer. He advised me never to buy a new car. You are upside down by thousands of dollars the minute you drive it of the lot.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, I'm not going to go into a bunch of debt to camp is the first item. Second, I'm going to have a truck for things around the house, but having a TT, I just have a little bigger truck than I would normally have. The 3/4 ton truck is a little more expensive than if I had a 1/2 ton, but not alot.

A motorhome would be more insurance, and another drivetrain to maintain and repair. I think a bigger truck may be the best bet for you.

When looking around campgrounds we jokingly call the big class A's lottery buses. One day we would like to move to a class A, but that would probably be a retirement move for us, when we sell the house and downsize, and use some of the cash to find a nice used one.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've spent many hours comparing the prices of different RV configurations. For the same size, age, amenities, and quality I would say the comparison goes about as shown below (comparing to a Class A plus a toad costing $100K). These are ballpark numbers, but reasonable. If you already have a car to tow in economic terms that doesn't mean it's free. Your tow vehicle can replace the car, with adjustment for cost of operation.

Class A plus a toad - $100K
Class C plus a toad - $90K
5th wheel and truck - $70K
Bumper pull and truck - $60K

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Looking for Opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS