cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrig won't work on Gas (was AC)

dwightr8
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Shadow Cruiser S260BHS with an Atwood refrig. We can only get the refrig to work on gas even when hooked up to shore power. Everything else that requires AC works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dewey

Wife Terri, Golden Retriever Brandi
2015 Shadow Cruiser S-260BHS
2014 Ford F-150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost w/Max Tow
Equal-i-zerยฎ Hitch
18 REPLIES 18

Joe_Way
Explorer
Explorer
dwightr8 wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
Yup, igniter or PC board....

...Know anything about Dinosaur Boards?

Thanks again to all.

They are the best available--very good.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dewey,

I didn't double check my RV's spare parts cabinet before posting this, but I THINK I'm carrying both a spare igniter and a spare board for the refrig.

For us the refrig is too important on a trip to have it let us down, including the loss of the food in it .... no telling where or when.

P.S. I may even be carrying a spare hot water heater igniter, too.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dwightr8
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Yup, igniter or PC board.

You say you adjusted the igniter gap. Did you set it to specs?

The specs call for between .125 (1/8") and .187 (3/16"). It was a bit hard to measure but in appeared to be closer to to 3/16". I tried to set it to 1/8". I'm hoping it's the ignitor but suspect it's the board. Just ordered a new ignitor as Phil suggested but think I'll be ordering a new PC board soon. Know anything about Dinosaur Boards?

Thanks again to all.
Dewey

Equal-i-zerยฎ Hitch

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, igniter or PC board.

You say you adjusted the igniter gap. Did you set it to specs?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may merely need to install a new igniter. It's not difficult to remove/install and the igniter assemblies don't cost much.

If you install one and that was the problem, buy another igniter to carry along as a spare.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
dwightr8 wrote:
dwightr8 wrote:
Took the cover off the burner and cleaned the area out with compressed air. It actually looked pretty clean before I started but blew it out anyway. When I tried to start the refer on gas I noticed the ignitor is not sparking. I adjusted it so it was a little closer to the burner but still no joy. I checked and I have 13.23v going to the board. Where do I go now?

Thanks,

Anybody?

Don't have to much experience with RV fridges but I know a bit about home furnaces. With the AC removed and it needs to work via propane, does it try and then throw a fault code when not successful? I know that there are a sequence of events that need to occur and, for instance, if the propane supply isn't delivered the sequence fails early. I would walk through the sequence and check for points of failure, if possible. A manual for your make/model might have the steps or a fault code reference matrix.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

dwightr8
Explorer
Explorer
dwightr8 wrote:
Took the cover off the burner and cleaned the area out with compressed air. It actually looked pretty clean before I started but blew it out anyway. When I tried to start the refer on gas I noticed the ignitor is not sparking. I adjusted it so it was a little closer to the burner but still no joy. I checked and I have 13.23v going to the board. Where do I go now?

Thanks,

Anybody?
Dewey

Equal-i-zerยฎ Hitch

dwightr8
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks,
Dewey

Equal-i-zerยฎ Hitch

dwightr8
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Have you done the annual "burner area tune-up"?

If not, start there!

I had never heard of it before. Found some videos so I'll have a go.

Thanks,
Dewey

Equal-i-zerยฎ Hitch

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Have you done the annual "burner area tune-up"?

If not, start there!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dwightr8
Explorer
Explorer
Just got home and refer worked fine on AC. No blown fuses but now does not want to work on gas. We tried numerous times to start it on gas but no go. I've winterized it now and we won't be using it until spring but it would be nice to get it working on gas before we take it out again. Any ideas?

TIA
Dewey

Equal-i-zerยฎ Hitch

dwightr8
Explorer
Explorer
So, the fuse was blown. Replaced it and so far the refer is operating normally on AC. We're leaving tomorrow morning for a couple of weeks. I'm taking several extra fuses and we'll see what happens.

Thanks to all on the forum for the help.
Dewey

Equal-i-zerยฎ Hitch

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
dwightr8 wrote:
Thanks for the rapid replies. I checked the ac outlet and the power is ok. Where do I find the power board and how do I access it?

Thanks again.

Old Biscuit wrote:
Good outlet...

Then remove cover on circuit board and check 3A fuse on circuit board right above where the 120V AC power cord plugs inti circuit board.
Test it not just look at it.

Outside compartment...remove lower vent/access cover
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MrWizard
try loking under the cover where the 120v cord goes on the fridge
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s