cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel in Mexico and points south

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
A question I posted in another section here brought out an interesting comment.....

Most TC types down there have gas engines over diesel? Something about the sulfur content in diesel fuel there?

I'm mulling over potential host vehicles for a TC for full-time living and a diesel engine was the assumed powerplant. Is there some reason to avoid this if I want to visit Central America? Is there some sort of workaround?
12 REPLIES 12

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
No just to winter out in San Miguel I asked them that question and they have not detemine if its worth it or not. I got an on line permit Ok this year for my 1 ton.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
That is a shame. It all depends on where you cross and the Aduanero. I do see the 1 tons so some are getting through. Are the Churches heading to Mexico to do a new book??

Moisheh

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
That reg for 1 ton trucks is not usually enforced. I see lots of F350's and a few F450's. BUT they are towing 5th wheels not carrying truck campers.

Moisheh

OH yeah, I just got off the phone with Mike & Terri Chruch, they are being refused entry as I type.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Until we get some real visuals on the stations I will not believe that 3200 stations are selling ULSD. I hope I am wrong. Tequila: I think that last poster was meaning "past" Mexico. Not in Mexico.

Moisheh

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactlyy true, 3200 Pemex stations are pumping it as of last March, most along trucking routes on the mainland. The list can be downloaded in Excel format at www.mexicocaravan.com/ulsd.php

By December 2018, it is supposed to be 100% ULSD. Supposed to be.

DieselBurps
Explorer
Explorer
Past Mexico there is not any Ultra low sulfur diesel as required by newer engines, there are work arounds, but they void the warranty

Personal opinion, but I would choose the Cummins over Ford for this application, much simpler motor and 2 less cylinders

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
That reg for 1 ton trucks is not usually enforced. I see lots of F350's and a few F450's. BUT they are towing 5th wheels not carrying truck campers.

Moisheh

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
may not be able to take a F450 into mexico. Regs say you cannot get a permit for any truck with greater than 3500kg (7710 lbs)cargo capacity.

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
Dang......well, I suppose a gas engine would save some weight and upfront cost. LOL Thanks!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
AllenTC2 wrote:
I suspect (as I'll be getting something new) that it'll be the latter (a Ford F-450 is what I'm eyeing).

So in short, I need either a gas engine or an old diesel?

Correct!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect (as I'll be getting something new) that it'll be the latter (a Ford F-450 is what I'm eyeing).

So in short, I need either a gas engine or an old diesel?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Older diesel engines are just fine on the 500 PPM sulfur.

DPF and DEF coaches do require ULSD (15 PPM sulfur).

Look at the dash and/or by the fuel fill. If it requires ULSD, it will say so.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/