cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airstream Owner - Upgrade or Not Upgrade

MinnesotaDreami
Explorer
Explorer
We have a dilemma. We own a 2014 Airstream International 27FB, being pulled by a 2017 F250 (gas) Crew Cab. We have had various other RV’s from popups to 5th wheels over the years. Currently we are both edging into retirement and find ourselves spending more and more time (1 - 2 months last winter) traveling and staying in our Airstream.

Next year is our “big trip” to Alaska. So we are starting to plan and think about it in earnest, asking questions, etc.. As we travel and visit with other RV’ers, many have suggested a larger unit may be a good option.

On a side note - I also heard an earful about the current state of gas absorption refrigerators, but that is another question for later.

Right now, our Airstream seems to work fine. We don’t seem to be heavy packers, and the wife is a very minimalist packer. Most of the time we are boondocking or off-the-grid. Other than the Airstream’s ground clearance, we have not run into to many problems, even at some of the National Parks sites.

Wondering if there are any Full-Time RV’s folks out there (Airstream or non-Airstream owners) that have an opinion or suggestions. Do we keep the Airstream, or upgrade to a larger RV?
10 REPLIES 10

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to view some "Long Long Honeymoon" videos on YouTube. They have a few on traveling Alaska in an Airstream
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
I would lean toward keeping the Airstream for the Alaska trip. As Trackrig said, you will have more flexibility in campgrounds and boondocking with the moderately sized trailer.

We went to AK in 2016 with our signature rig and, while it was fine and we had not major problems related to size, there would have been some convenience in having a little smaller rig for that long a trip.

Then after AK, if you want more space for long-term camping you can look at a bigger rig then.

PS: If you slow down and enjoy the trip there is no problem with rough roads!
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a 12 foot A-Liner to Alaska. We moved often and it was a dream to set up. Even if campgrounds were full, we got in. To each his own, but the little camper served us well.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, would keep the Airstream if it is working for you. After the trip to Alaska, then I would see if your needs might be different and then revisit the idea for a change.

We were thinking of taking our coach to Alaska this year but opted for an Alaskan cruise instead. I just didn't want to damage the paint/windshield and there is so much beauty in Alaska from a ship that you could not get to by road.

The glaciers are breathtaking along with the misty fiords. The two week cruise started in Seward, AK, and ended in Vancouver, BC. The temps were generally in 50's and 60's... perfect for July! I had forgotten that the sun in Anchorage only goes to dusk, it's daylight for 24 hrs. at that time of year.

In 1997, we took a motorcoach tour from Vancouver to Anchorage traveling through the Yukon that stopped every evening at hotels. This trip also included a train trip then ended with a one week cruise down the inside passage back to Vancouver, BC. (trains, planes and automobiles).

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We owned 3 Airstreams. Started off with a 25 next a 19 and lastly a 23. In between the different lengths we owned a motorhome and a 5th wheel. Wish we had kept the 25. To each his own.

^^^^ X2 . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'd keep the AS for the Alaska trip and not subject a new rig to the roads up there.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because you said you like to boondock, keep the trailer for the trip to Alaska.

I've lived in Alaska for 50+ years. Five years ago in prep for retirement, I bought a DP and brought it north so that I had a year to get familiar with it before retirement. After retirement we took it south and have left it south since then as planned.

In the year we had it here, we used it, did modifications, and so on. In that time I decided it was too big for everyday use in Alaska. It was fine if you wanted to stay in RV parks, but not for boondocking. Last year I bought a Nash 26' TT and brought it north. There are so many more places you can get into with the TT than the DP for boondocking.

Keep the trailer.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I marvel at folks that can spend months in something that small BUT for a trip to AK I would keep it. Selling something that new will be expensive so another reason for keeping. With your gas F250 you can go bigger, but not that much bigger. So for now keep it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Right now, our Airstream seems to work fine"

I'd replace it when the AS doesn't meet your needs and wants. Two iconic names in RVs....Airstream and Winnebago.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad