cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my travel companion

richms
Explorer
Explorer
I do not post much but read multiple rv net pages daily. Yesterday my DW and I lost our travel companion. We had a Chihuahua mix (Shay) that traveled with us for the last 8 years. My daughter and her family with their 3 dogs are staying at our house due to Harvey. My Shay was in the front yard when one of my daughters dogs got out and grabbed her. She had killed Shay before we could get Shay loose. I always knew that one day she would pass but never expected this.
22 REPLIES 22

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
How awful! I'm so sorry for your loss.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Heart breaking. I am so sorry to hear of this. I share your grief. Your daughter must be overcome with remorse. Love to you and your extended family.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
I am so very sorry for you tragic loss. As someone that has a small Pup (a Papillon) I have always worried about that and send out my Thoughts and Prayers for you and Your Family.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry for your loss and also for your family's and your daughter's grief. We recognize the problem all too well. We had 15 years of saving our 5 lb chi mix Poquita's life. At the park, an unleashed dog would run up to check out what kind of critter she was. It seems that she hit those dogs' radar the same as a rabbit or squirrel. Dogs still have that primitive urge,and sometimes it takes
over for a second, even though they "know" the unfortunate little one. What a heart breaker. Just so sorry.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

richms
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your kind thoughts, I am waiting until next year before I start looking for another dog. We have a cruise scheduled for next year and will wait until I get back before looking. I do not want to get a brand new pup and have to leave it with someone else while on the cruise. To Carlos & Ranae that is the exact statement my wife made,let's go to the shelter to look for another dog. We adopted our cat from a shelter. Again thanks for the kindness ya'll have shown.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Sad to hear of your loss,My heart goes out to you It is never easy to lose a companion and member of the family. We have 3 Chihuahuas and a chihuahua / Terrier mix pup and would hate to lose any of them.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss and what your daughter is going through. When you are ready for another commitment, please consider adopting from your local shelter.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
So sorry to hear this.

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry. I know what your feeling. Back in 2005 our neighbors dog did the exact same thing to our Yorkie. He was so loved, and full of life, it took us a couple years before we got another dog. When we finally did though, she filled our hearts just as much. Wishing you healing, and peace in the future.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I am so, so sorry.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

RamTX
Explorer
Explorer
Very sorry for your loss- a real tragedy. I guess that this is one of the fears we all have who have small furry companions.
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Tragic.
So sorry for your loss.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear about the tragic loss. To lose our furkids is hard enough and grieving for them is real, but with the circumstances how it happened, I am so sorry for you and your wife.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
So tragic! I'm sorry for your loss.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus