Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Nasty wreck on video with a trailer being towed!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Nasty wreck on video with a trailer being towed!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mike-s

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/17 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RinconVTR wrote:

I saw all the **** at the back of the camper immediately as well, and notice how much the bumper and/or the rack holding is all is bent downward! WHOA!!!

Add to that to the heavy load at the back of the trailer notice as well how much the SUV is sagging. Either a poorly adjusted WDH or no WDH at all.
So, it's both back-heavy and tongue-heavy. [emoticon]

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/17 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

1. He is passing a truck, usually I am passed by them because I tow at 60 mph.

I don't think I'd want to tow faster than that, either. I heard a Navy Seal say that they have a saying: "Don't rush to your death." Those are words to live by.

RinconVTR

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/17 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike-s wrote:

RinconVTR wrote:

I saw all the **** at the back of the camper immediately as well, and notice how much the bumper and/or the rack holding is all is bent downward! WHOA!!!

Add to that to the heavy load at the back of the trailer notice as well how much the SUV is sagging. Either a poorly adjusted WDH or no WDH at all.

Exactly.

There is such a thing as too much tongue weight especially when its not transferred properly via WDH....AND...its an SUV.

Nothing against SUV's towing at max (I do it) but every little detail beings to matter. There's little to no room for general error.

mike-s

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/17 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RinconVTR wrote:

mike-s wrote:

RinconVTR wrote:

Exactly.

There is such a thing as too much tongue weight especially when its not transferred properly via WDH....AND...its an SUV.

Nothing against SUV's towing at max (I do it) but every little detail beings to matter. There's little to no room for general error.
Whoosh.

JCR-1

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/17 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Improper driving skills in addition to weight . The driver in passing attempted to cut in early and when he realized he had a trailer behind him he immediately tried to get back into his lane . he abruptly cut back in and the trucks air pressue wave didn't help. Once he went into fishtail he kept correcting and over correcting until he wagged himself into a flip.

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/17 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JCR-1 wrote:

Improper driving skills in addition to weight . The driver in passing attempted to cut in early and when he realized he had a trailer behind him he immediately tried to get back into his lane . he abruptly cut back in and the trucks air pressue wave didn't help. Once he went into fishtail he kept correcting and over correcting until he wagged himself into a flip.

WRONG!

In the drivers own words

Dave Pete

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/17 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So hard to say, but what I saw was an SUV not turn or swerve until the TT was in the slip stream affect of the semi trailer. Only then did the SUV start slight correction and then the tail wagged the dog. Roll over. Good boy. Lots of mistakes. Not that I haven't made some of those.

Lil' Queeny - 1968 Travel Queen 8' TC (currently under resto-mod for DW and me)
Tow-Mater - 1964 Roadrunner Forward Bunk Model Canned Ham (for DD)
? - Future Build (for DS)

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
2013 Komfort 2410RK TT

DE88ROX

West Michigan. The other West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 12:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike-s wrote:

Really? REALLY? Someone's not paying attention, and I don't mean the driver in that video.

This is the FOURTH time this has been posted.

Whats your point? First time ive seen it. RELAX!

TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 01:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RinconVTR wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

Hey, first time I've seen it and between all the stuff he added to the back and not putting the trailer brakes on, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

This was no accident. This one was 100% avoidable. There are 2-3 smoking guns, unlike most crash videos and images we see posted.

And of course speed. The truck was doing 65mph and the SUV was passing at a good clip. Had to be over 70. Not to say I've never done the same, but add this high speed to all the above and this IMO was clearly an avoidable incident.

All that **** at the back of the camper only weighed a whopping 128 lbs. I don't think that unloaded much hitch weight taking into account the balance point of that trailer. Why is it on RV forums that people swear that any weight behind or on the rear bumper causes Armageddon?

Anyhow here is the real story told by the person who lives through it max62.

Story

2017 Rockwood Roo 23WS
2013 Keystone Passport 235EXP
2011 Aerolite 185E
2010 Palomino Y4124

2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.0 DCLB Z71
2013 F150 XLT RCLB 5.0 4X4

I'll be sending you a box in the mail!

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RinconVTR wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

Hey, first time I've seen it and between all the stuff he added to the back and not putting the trailer brakes on, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

This was no accident. This one was 100% avoidable. There are 2-3 smoking guns, unlike most crash videos and images we see posted.

And of course speed. The truck was doing 65mph and the SUV was passing at a good clip. Had to be over 70. Not to say I've never done the same, but add this high speed to all the above and this IMO was clearly an avoidable incident.

All that **** at the back of the camper only weighed a whopping 128 lbs. I don't think that unloaded much hitch weight taking into account the balance point of that trailer. Why is it on RV forums that people swear that any weight behind or on the rear bumper causes Armageddon?

Anyhow here is the real story as told by the guy who experienced it.Story

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Nasty wreck on video with a trailer being towed!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS