Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DP Charging Problem

Lewis
Explorer
Explorer
Motor Home 2001 Newmar / Freightliner DP
After running for 20-30 minuter noticed charging dash meter not in normal position, after 45 minutes low battery light on. When I let off on throttle battery indicator drifts back toward normal but when the turbo comes on with increase throttle battery indicator comes down and low battery comes back on. The engine batteries seem to charge ok after stopped with an external charger. Seems like I have an alternator problem. Any additional checks would be appreciated.

Lewis
2001 38' Dutch Star, DP
1992 Honda Toad
Marietta, GA

Lewis
13 REPLIES 13

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to replace the alternator, and it is a leece neville unit, the Delco 28 SI will probably replace it. I did this on my 2000 Freightliner (now sold), and it worked well and cheaper than the leece neville.

The delco web site has the wiring diagrams for hookup.

There is more info in my post on IRV2 linked below:
alternator conversion

If you really want to get into troubleshooting, the following website has the steps for the leece neville alternator.

alternator troubleshooting

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Lewis
Explorer
Explorer
While driving with generator on, house batteries being charged with chassis batteries in parallel; the combined battery voltage slowly drained from 13 to 11.75 over a 2 hour period. After getting home I disconnected the parallel setup, allowed all batteries to be charged with house charger. Battery voltage came up to normal charged value.
2001 38' Dutch Star, DP
1992 Honda Toad
Marietta, GA

Lewis

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Lewis,

If combining the batteries while driving (but generator OFF) kept the chassis battery at 13.5+ VDC, most likely suspect is your BATTERY ISOLATOR.

That is because the house batteries ARE receiving a charge from the alternator, so it is OK.

Now, if the generator was running as well, above does not apply as house batteries would be charged by your converter or inverter/charger.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Lewis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks railtrailers, sounds like the same problem, except that my voltage dropped down to about 9v after several hours on the road. I stopped and connecter the house batteries in parallel so the house charger would hold the voltage up until I got home.

Have checked all connection except on the Alternator at this point, removed batteries and checked them as well. Been busy but my next job is to look under the bed. I replaced the air filter once but had a hard time sealing off the engine compartment so fumes didn't come in while driving. Don't look forward to getting back in there.
2001 38' Dutch Star, DP
1992 Honda Toad
Marietta, GA

Lewis

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
We had a very much the same problem with our 2001 Dutchstar, Freightliner, CAT engine. Cruising up hill, voltage drops to perhaps 12.4 volts, down hill voltage rises to perhaps 13.6 volts. Could not find anything wrong with batteries, wires or wire connections. Solved the problem this past spring by replacing the Leece Neville alternator with a new one from AJ-Electric via Amazon for about $260.00. Now voltage stays rock steady at about 14.1 volts.

I theorize that the difference between up hill versus down hill was due to vibration of the hard mounted alternator being driven by the engine power strokes when powering up the hill versus coasting down the hill. Perhaps one of the brushes was hanging up in its bore.

I purchased a replacement voltage regulator and brushes for the old alternator. Burnished the slip rings where the brushes ride and now it appears to work quite well on the test stand so it rides along as a spare in case ever needed.

Really heavy alternator to pull and replace solo, but I got it done. Getting the air intake plumbing in and out was a task also. (Be sure to cover the intake to turbo to be sure that nothing goes down the hole.) Needed to replace some of the air intake hose clamps as they did not want to loosen and also did the air cleaner while I was in there.

My installation does not use a diode isolator, it uses a BIRD and a Fat Boy relay to accomplish the function of the diode isolator without the voltage drop (0.6 volts) that the diodes would impose.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
To get to the back of the alternator where the connections are, access from INSIDE. Under bed/closet, etc.

Then follow the large-gauge cable (usually red) from alternator B+ to locate the battery isolator.
Brett Wolfe

Lewis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info from all. Will check the sense line and other connections to alternator if I can reach them. Can see the alternator from rear door but can barely reach ; not sure how I will check the connections but will try. I know where the sense line connects to battery. Have a diagram of the isolator relay but not sure where it is. Diagram says "Rear Electrical Center". Don't believe its the electrical where AC power comes in?

Battery is not the problem. It charges from coach charger when engine is off, then cranks engine ok.
2001 38' Dutch Star, DP
1992 Honda Toad
Marietta, GA

Lewis

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If there's a diode based isolator present, it's more than likely the cause.
I would by-pass it by placing all battery leads on the same terminal and see if all the batteries charge.
I bet they will!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The way it is running I would be popping a new alternator on.
Original 2001? 16 years is good service.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you suspect it could be batteries. My first guess would be batteries with that in mind. How old are they?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Wolf's on top of things as usual. I'd also check alternator belt, if it's independent of other belts. It almost sounds as if it's slipping at higher RPMs. Just a suggestion.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I would start by cleaning and tightening connections at alternator and battery isolator.

THEN, You really need to troubleshoot the charging "system".

Pay particular attention to the "sense" wire (which you will have if you have a diode-based battery isolator). It is a small gauge wire and a little corrosion, loose connection, etc really does strange things to voltage.

I would not drive until this is fixed or a work-around is wired (if you have to move, let us know and we can talk you through some pretty easy work-arounds). You can damage engine and transmission computers with low voltage and/or they can leave you on the side of the road (timing theirs, not yours)!
Brett Wolfe

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the engine batteries with a voltmeter before cranking and then after...you should get a rise in voltage to above 14 if the alternator is charging.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...