Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Retired the idea of retiring.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Retired the idea of retiring.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/17 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Sayin I'm going to spend the next 10 years digging myself out of debt is a little misleading. Fortunately I don't have a time clock to punch. There are times when I am under the gun (which is really my favorite time of year) but most of the year is pretty casual. This summer I had time to do a little touring on the motorcycle, a little camping and a little hiking. This winter we have a 10 day trip to Mexico already booked and will likely enjoy a second flyaway vacation before spring. We are talking about doing a little more skiing this winter.

In reality, EVERYONE "punches" a time clock, in your case it is a "metaphor" in the fact that you do not physically punch. Whether you are an owner, manager, supervisor or the poor sap at the bottom of the rung mopping up the managements bad decisions, we all have "work time" and "play time"..

Work time at work and play time (personal time)is the time leftover that you are not working for work.

When I retire, I will be "punching" my OWN "time clock", I will make my own decisions on when to start working on my own projects for fun and when to quit for the day.. I will "pay" myself out of my retirement accounts.

My company just gave me the nudge to consider the idea of retiring earlier than what I was planning to do.. [emoticon]

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/17 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigg Al wrote:

Hi there Old-Biscuit from one Control Operator to another. I was a CO for SCE (Southern California Edison) in the 1970s until I moved into System Operations in the late 70. I worked at Redondo Beach then moved over to Huntington Beach. Not too often I run across someone that did the same job. Not a lot of people doing that unique job.

Howdy UWUA Brother [emoticon]

CO...SCE also
Started at Redondo Bch 1980
Then EL Segundo 1980-1985 where I made CO
Over to Alamitos (front yard) 1985-1990---loaned out to Long Bch for Summer Runs
Off to Etiwanda 1990-1999
And finally Cool Water in Dagget 1999-2001 (2001-2003 for new owners after Deregulation)

I moved from plant to plant as I moved around Orange County....then up to High Desert when I went to Etiwanada.
Went out to Cool Water for the CT Experience....figured it would round out my resume never thinking I would retire early.

LOVED making those units HUMMMMMMMMMM right out to the last MW.
My reliefs were scared to take over cause I had them right at the limit.....especially at Cool Water where operators were 'inbred' and did things by 'rote' [emoticon]

Good hearing from another CO that understands that job [emoticon]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Dance Chick

Winter Haven FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/17 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My father was the quintessential fisherman. He really was quite miserable to be around EXCEPT for when he was on a fishing trip. He knew the Everglades backward & forward and planned to retire to the Everglades and fish. Unfortunately, he developed cancer and died at age 56, so needless to say, he never retired. Food for thought...

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/17 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to "retire" at 46 due to blowing out three discs in my back. I was a Chief Engineer in the US Merchant Marine. Luckily, my union AMO (American Maritime Officers) had a 20 and out with Benefits.

I will turn 55 in a couple of weeks and am on Disability (long expensive fight). I had Colon Cancer four years ago this coming October and have been a Diabetic since 2003.

My DW turns 62 in October and can go on my union Benefits for $0.00 as long as her salary is under $32,000. I'm really trying to get her to hang it up as she is really stressed all the time. She's an Insurance Agent and really enjoys the work just not the job right now.

We have talked about her retiring and we are very lucky as we are 100% debit free including our Home. With what I bring in plus her SS we would be fine but she says she's just not ready. I worry that with my health nothing pops up and surprises us and makes her sorry for not pulling the plug when she could.

My advice to others would be do it as long as you are financially set and can afford it! I have seen way too many friends that worked right up to the day they died and left a boat load of money sitting in the bank.

I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/17 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To each his own. It really is a very personal decision, and a difficult one. I was blessed all my working life to do something I enjoyed being in the trades. The wife worked also, we never had children by choice and we were both financially aware and responsible so I was able to retire at 52, almost 10 years ago and she retired at 55. Retirement is opportunity, to reinvent yourself, to volunteer, write a book if that's your thing. I find after being retired for 10 yrs. that it really is opportunity. I turned into the "junk man" (lol). Wife and I opened a booth in an antique mall where we sell things we have refurbished or repurposed and I spend time making things for it as well. Its a blast. Its not going to make us rich by any means but its a lot of fun to do.....and at our leisure. We get all the time off we want to travel and golf. Its all up to you. Good luck.

Bigg Al

Kalispell, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/17 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Bigg Al wrote:

Hi there Old-Biscuit from one Control Operator to another. I was a CO for SCE (Southern California Edison) in the 1970s until I moved into System Operations in the late 70. I worked at Redondo Beach then moved over to Huntington Beach. Not too often I run across someone that did the same job. Not a lot of people doing that unique job.

Howdy UWUA Brother [emoticon]

CO...SCE also
Started at Redondo Bch 1980
Then EL Segundo 1980-1985 where I made CO
Over to Alamitos (front yard) 1985-1990---loaned out to Long Bch for Summer Runs
Off to Etiwanda 1990-1999
And finally Cool Water in Dagget 1999-2001 (2001-2003 for new owners after Deregulation)

I moved from plant to plant as I moved around Orange County....then up to High Desert when I went to Etiwanada.
Went out to Cool Water for the CT Experience....figured it would round out my resume never thinking I would retire early.

LOVED making those units HUMMMMMMMMMM right out to the last MW.
My reliefs were scared to take over cause I had them right at the limit.....especially at Cool Water where operators were 'inbred' and did things by 'rote' [emoticon]

Good hearing from another CO that understands that job [emoticon]

It's a small world. I probably know You but don't know your name. When I went into System Operations aka ECC Energy Control Center in Alhambra, I talked to all operators. Probably got your midnight numbers or ordered a fuel change or a startup or shutdown.
Alamitos? Do you remember Chris Traikoff? Paul Wesley? Did you know that Chuck Leonard passed? King Cole and Jim Chase were instructors at Redondo. King passed away several years ago when he was the Mohave instructor. I was there when we hauled Neil Kissels Metropolitan Nash onto the plant 1 turbine building roof. Good memories. I assume you knew Darrell Quessenberry at Cool Water? He ended up transferring to Bishop Control as a Transmission System Operator. He died of cancer a few years ago. If you're on Facebook, I can make you a member of a group of us old Steamers if you want since I'm an Admin. Lots of guys from everywhere in the system. Some still with AES and Reliant. My name is Al Dykstra. See ya.

Tow Vehicle:
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 DRW Laramie Crew Cab
6.7 Cummins Diesel

Race Car:
Pro Mod 1969 Chevelle
Jerry Bickel Chassis
525ci BAE Hemi Twin Turbocharged
3 Speed Lenco Transmission
Best E.T. 5.62 seconds at 265 mph

Take me to your Golf Course!!

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/17 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fully retired about five years ago. I'll be 72 next month. Went back to work part time, 20-25 hours a week in the ag business. Most fun I've had in ages, listen to the young whipper snappers mown and belly ache. Retirement for me would have been more fun if I have endless funds to play with. Got my Four months in AZ to look forward too.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

mr. ed

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took early retirement at 62. I had a pretty healthy bank account thanks to a good business I owned. I had no need to work further. I decided to full time RV to make the money last longer. I was always able to pay cash for my RV's. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. Couldn't have had a more enjoyable life.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I retired at 57, it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2013 chaparral 325MKS
2015 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
B&W companion slider.
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of all the jobs I've had, I never had one I didn't like. Of the business ventures I've enjoyed, I never had one I didn't like. Looking back, during my working years, I did a whole lot of what people do after they retire. And, I'm still doing some of it. EXCEPT, I miss my job. It was the best flying job I ever had. In fact, it was MY dream job. BUT, I love driving my big motorhome,....and fishing.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Retired the idea of retiring.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS