Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Retired the idea of retiring.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Retired the idea of retiring.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the last couple of years I'd been contemplating retiring at a relatively young age...54 now. I couldn't bring myself to let go of work. Anyway, instead of pulling the pin on work we decided to pull the pin on a relatively large business expansion. Looks like we'll be spending the next 10 years digging our way out of debt.

2016 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting out of dept should be your priority but don't forget to get out and enjoy life.
We retired at 55 and made the most of it, criss crossed the continent a dozen times. Did a lot of hiking etc. The week I turned 65 my hip and knees started acting up. It took months to get it regulated with meds. I'm active now but no more hiking for me.
If you're healthy get out there now.

* This post was edited 09/03/17 07:39am by Fizz *

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Looks like we'll be spending the next 10 years digging our way out of debt."

That makes it sound like a real chore, not something I'd look forward to for the next 10 years. Just remember there is no guarantee that you'll make it to retirement age in good health. If you're healthy now and have the opportunity to retire, enjoy things, and not worry about financial scenarios further down the road, just do it.

"Life is uncertain, eat dessert first."

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Company I worked for 'sold out' and I had 3 choices
*Transfer to another division at current wage but 'entry level' job ---wage frozen until 'new job' rate matched or I promoted up
*Take early package
*Take early package and find new job

I was 48 yrs old.

Took the package and went to work for 'new owners' at current wage/vacation time but no 'retirement package/options' with new company----just a pay check
That lasted 2 yrs until I could NOT continue working for those 'dangerous idiots'
Quit one Friday AM....then wondered all weekend long WHAT the HECK had I done??
NOW WHAT?

By Monday afternoon I went from 'unemployed' to RETIRED! 2 mos prior to 50th birthday.

That was 14 yrs ago.....
Retirement IS all its cracked up to be [emoticon]

Best 'unplanned/unintended' decision I have ever made.
Course being 'Debt Free' and having put 24% of gross income away/invested made it much easier.

My folks never got to enjoy retirement due to health issues
Her folks never made it to retirement.....her Mom/48 and her Dad/62

Ask yourself..
Do you work to LIVE
or
DO you live to work

Carpe diem!!!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you 4X4. It is my opinion, for some folks retiring is the best thing they ever did. For others it is the worst So much I feel depends on if you like your work, and what outside interests you have.

For me at 62, after much sole searching ( which I believe 4x4 has also done, from his past posts) I feel it would be the worst thing I could do.

But each person is different and what works for one, may well not work for another.

But on the other hand, being self employed, we work 3.5 days a week and take 6 weeks off. Going back to 40 plus hrs and little vacation, working at a job I hated, then yeah I think I would want out as well.

* This post was edited 09/03/17 04:32pm by winnietrey *

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

That makes it sound like a real chore, not something I'd look forward to for the next 10 years. Just remember there is no guarantee that you'll make it to retirement age in good health. If you're healthy now and have the opportunity to retire, enjoy things, and not worry about financial scenarios further down the road, just do it.

Never more wiser words have been spoken..

I have personally seen multiple people who never made it to "retirement"..

Several recent examples..

A supervisor who only a week before his retirement was diagnosed with terminal cancer.. Company kept him on the payroll to keep the insurance going, he passed less than 6 months later at the ripe age of 66.

A former coworker passed less than one year after they retired, that person was in their 70's.

Another coworker was in their 40's when killed in a auto accident ON THE WAY TO WORK, hit a deer.. The saddest thing about that was it was a Saturday morning on FORCED overtime due to the company being excessively CHEAP and not willing to pay for additional temporary help..

Another coworker was "let go" by the company during a "labor reduction" suffered a major stroke shortly after losing her job.. She was in here late 30's at the time..

I have been recently contemplating retiring right now at the age of 52.. My company gave me my walking papers (IE Labor reduction) back in Feb of this year, was to separate as of May.. April they extended my date to Oct.. Now I am hearing rumors that they may keep me or extend me..

Forced me to take a deep hard look at financials, the long commute (one hr each way) and the reality that a 50 something yr old computer tech is a long shot for getting a new job close to my home that pays what I make now. I would have to search for jobs well over an hr each way to get into the pay grade I have now..

Came to the conclusion that if my Company does not extend or offer my job back that I WILL take that as retirement.. I no longer wish to get up at 4:30 in the morning in the winter in order to get to a job at 7:00 in the morning.. I no longer want to get home at night in the winter at 5:00-6:00 PM on bad winter roads..

Yes, I do enjoy what I do, but I have been commuting this long commute at this company for 19 yrs and it has gotten so old I really don't care to travel a lot even for camping.

Granted, I am looking around to see if I could find some close opportunities (10-15 minute commute) just to top off the retirement for good measure. But no biggie for me if I cannot find a new job and I am at peace with the idea of not punching a company time clock.

You will wake up some day and realize that you have spent too much time "at work". If you have the means to support retirement, take it and never look back..

The main thing is to find NEW hobbies and things to do to fill the time you would have spent at work..

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 35 years writing code I hung it up after spending the best part of a year trying to find someone who would hire a 64 year old software engineer. Plenty of 3 month contract offers, but no real jobs. What I needed was health insurance, so I "retired" and went on the Medicare merry-go-round.

Retirement for me means that instead of working a single job for good pay, I work multiple jobs for minimum wage. It's a real shame how corporations throw away good workers. They'll have a hard time finding someone with my work ethic in the current generation of "workers".

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sayin I'm going to spend the next 10 years digging myself out of debt is a little misleading. Fortunately I don't have a time clock to punch. There are times when I am under the gun (which is really my favorite time of year) but most of the year is pretty casual. This summer I had time to do a little touring on the motorcycle, a little camping and a little hiking. This winter we have a 10 day trip to Mexico already booked and will likely enjoy a second flyaway vacation before spring. We are talking about doing a little more skiing this winter.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Never more wiser words have been spoken..

I have been recently contemplating retiring right now at the age of 52.. My company gave me my walking papers (IE Labor reduction) back in Feb of this year, was to separate as of May.. April they extended my date to Oct.. Now I am hearing rumors that they may keep me or extend me..

Forced me to take a deep hard look at financials, the long commute (one hr each way) and the reality that a 50 something yr old computer tech is a long shot for getting a new job close to my home that pays what I make now. I would have to search for jobs well over an hr each way to get into the pay grade I have now..

Came to the conclusion that if my Company does not extend or offer my job back that I WILL take that as retirement.. I no longer wish to get up at 4:30 in the morning in the winter in order to get to a job at 7:00 in the morning.. I no longer want to get home at night in the winter at 5:00-6:00 PM on bad winter roads..

Yes, I do enjoy what I do, but I have been commuting this long commute at this company for 19 yrs and it has gotten so old I really don't care to travel a lot even for camping.

Granted, I am looking around to see if I could find some close opportunities (10-15 minute commute) just to top off the retirement for good measure. But no biggie for me if I cannot find a new job and I am at peace with the idea of not punching a company time clock.

You will wake up some day and realize that you have spent too much time "at work". If you have the means to support retirement, take it and never look back..

The main thing is to find NEW hobbies and things to do to fill the time you would have spent at work..

I worked 12 Hr Rotating shifts with a 1 hr Plus travel time each way.
And was required to be 'on call' 24/7
I LOVED what I did for a career.....Power Plant Control Operator

But HATED the 'head honchos' that had NO clue.

Retirement is SO much better way to live and I really like the 'boss'

New Hobbies/expand Old Hobbies....Volunteer/Go back to school etc.
Lots of options and plenty of time.

[image]

Bigg Al

Kalispell, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/17 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi there Old-Biscuit from one Control Operator to another. I was a CO for SCE (Southern California Edison) in the 1970s until I moved into System Operations in the late 70. I worked at Redondo Beach then moved over to Huntington Beach. Not too often I run across someone that did the same job. Not a lot of people doing that unique job.

* This post was edited 09/04/17 03:08pm by an administrator/moderator *

Tow Vehicle:
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 DRW Laramie Crew Cab
6.7 Cummins Diesel

Race Car:
Pro Mod 1969 Chevelle
Jerry Bickel Chassis
525ci BAE Hemi Twin Turbocharged
3 Speed Lenco Transmission
Best E.T. 5.62 seconds at 265 mph

Take me to your Golf Course!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Retired the idea of retiring.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS