Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Walmart no longer an option?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Walmart no longer an option?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
C-172-AV8R

Duncan B.C. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/17 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

My local Walmart told me that they do not even own or control the parking lot directly. That is why they allow overnight trucks but not RV's. The abuse that I see when traveling convinces me that it is just a matter of time before other lots become unavailable. Long term parking, slides out, trash, all contribute to our image and it is not a pretty one.

Roger That......Sad the way some behave now....Lack of Character.

Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/17 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

It may be due to a local bylaw.

^^^^^ This.

Local city ordinances prohibit it. Here in northern Colorado, it's been that way for years in Fort Collins. Loveland allowed it...until recently. Ordinance passed and signs such as what the OP posted appeared at the Walmarts.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be a local ordinance.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C-172-AV8R wrote:

Rv parks complain to city council that they are losing money. City council capitulates and viola. New signs. Don't blame Walmart they just have to follow the law. Blame the Rv parks. I remember that happened in Prince George B.C so everyone going to Alaska told council they didn't need to stop in P.G. Well all the fuel stations and restaurants complained so they rescinded the ban. Power to the $$$ for sure.
Yep, RV park owners easily can out spend and out maneuver Walmart. The fact that Walmart really couldn't care less one way or the other is the only reason such ordinances ever pass.

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/17 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

My local Walmart told me that they do not even own or control the parking lot directly. That is why they allow overnight trucks but not RV's. The abuse that I see when traveling convinces me that it is just a matter of time before other lots become unavailable. Long term parking, slides out, trash, all contribute to our image and it is not a pretty one.
This. Wal-Mart was never supposed to be more than an overnight stop. A place to park, get some sleep, buy some groceries, and then get on the road again in the morning. That courtesy has seriously been abused.

2011 F150 towing a Nash 22H

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

This. Wal-Mart was never supposed to be more than an overnight stop. A place to park, get some sleep, buy some groceries, and then get on the road again in the morning. That courtesy has seriously been abused.

X2

Yup. Two of the main reasons why some Walmarts are putting up signs no overnight parking.

1.RV'ers who make Walmart their long term "destination" CG to avoid paying for a CG.

2. Rolling Meth Labs

http://www.walmartlocator.com/overnight-parking-etiquette/
excerpt:""...Most of the complaints lodged regarding RV parking on business parking lots have to do with aesthetics and perceived abuse of the privilege. There are a variety of competing interests that were balanced to arrive at this industry-sanctioned code of conduct. As you can see, this Code of Conduct is nothing more than an RVers’ “Good Neighbor” policy.

Not following the code has serious consequences and is detrimental to the rights of all RVers. Already, some municipalities have passed ordinances to prohibit parking on private business property overnight....""

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BizmarksMom wrote:

TomG2 wrote:

My feeling too, but a lot of the RV Parks do get in the act and try to shut down the use of parking lots. Personally when I'm going to a destination I'm not particularly interested in paying $40+ for an RV spot that I'll only use for the night and may not even use the hookups, so parking lots and Rest Areas are my first choice. Different when I get to some place I want to camp for a day or more though and then I'm more than willing to pay for a full hookup site. Too bad the RV Parks don't understand there are a lot of RVers like me and come up with a plan to accommodate those of us "in transit" with a low overnight parking fee.

BTW, I did find one RV Park in Alpine, Tx that gave me a spot to park without hookups for the night for $10. I was more than happy paying that, as I had a flat and needed a place to park until the shop opened in the morning.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C-172-AV8R wrote:

Rv parks complain to city council that they are losing money. City council capitulates and viola. New signs. Don't blame Walmart they just have to follow the law. Blame the Rv parks. I remember that happened in Prince George B.C so everyone going to Alaska told council they didn't need to stop in P.G. Well all the fuel stations and restaurants complained so they rescinded the ban. Power to the $$$ for sure.

Really? EVERYONE going to Alaska thought to contact the city council to tell them they no longer had to stop in PG because they couldn't overnight in WalMart?? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?
The local Wallyworld by me bans overnight parking. There's not a cg close enough to care. Go figure!

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Good for Walmart. In Bend the parking lot looks like a druggie parking lot 24/7. Im almost scared to even stop any more.

We drove past there on the way to a CG and were shocked at all the RVs in the lot. Went to the Walmart to do some shopping and found that all the RVs were on display from a local dealer. Weren't many regular RV-ers there doing an overnight or two that we could see. Doesn't seem quite right to open up a large section of their lot for a dealer.

Used to be I couldn't even spell RV, now we own one!

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, many mods (mild to wild), Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, supercab, 4WD, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS & T-valves

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/17 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't run into it but only stay once a year in Benton Ky.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Walmart no longer an option?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS