cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane Irma

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone looking at the future track of Irma? Was thinking about heading out to the northeast coast late next week, but now will watch and see. Alot of future tracks look like its gonna head into the southeast to mid Atlantic and continue northward.....
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker
21 REPLIES 21

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We made a reservation out in west FL at the GA and AL state lines a week or so based on the then-forecast. Drove out Friday 08SEP. Eight hours to cover 200 miles! Stayed 08 and 09SEP, watched track shift West and drove 300 miles 10SEP to where we are now, just off I-75 north of Atlanta. So we're 400 miles from home having driven 500 to get there. But the 13-foot 14,000-pound Escape Pod performed as advertised. This time we're far enough off the track to stay evacuated IN the RV.
Friends, People are GOOD! Lowe's in Marianna FL... mentioned we were evacuated and had to evacuate again. Clerk said "Come to My Place." Little country house across the border in AL. Texted back that a bunch of family was coming but we were still welcome. We didn't want to leave the RV exposed in an open field so we drove to HotLanta. But People are Good.
But this DOES expose a flaw in RV evacuation. A place that's safe to drive to in a car and go into a Structure works well. Drive there in an RV and we still have to have a place in a Structure. Driving Farther in an RV becomes OK.
If somebody needs an RV site near Atlanta, PM me. I may be able to help.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
As someone in Texas, I highly recommend getting out of Florida -now-. I remember a few years ago, people died still stuck in traffic evacuating from Houston, because they ran out of gas.

People are sheep. Even in Austin, people were panicing over fuel and there was a shortage (which is finally trailing off) for a few days, not caused by less supply... but caused by people buying 50 gallon trash cans and filling them up with gasoline, either to hoard or sell on Craigslist. It was so bad that people were offering $20-$50 a gallon on Craigslist.

Right now, it isn't bad... but get out of Florida ASAP. There are shelters as far away as Fort Worth, some RV parks are offering free stays, and some people are offering use of their land.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
This past week the snowbirds have been coming down in droves much earlier than I have ever seen.

I sure hope they have the wherewithal to leave and head back up North over the state line to ride this storm out.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Our place in Florida is nothing put an empty lot, unless we are parked on it with our mh. We will not be there until sometime in December.

Dusty

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
photobug wrote:
How susceptible to hurricane winds are rvs when parked? is there a way to secure them? Been living on the west coast where we don't have such things. Only earthquakes, volcanos, wild fires, floods, show storms etc.

Hurricane winds pick them up,knock thrm over and slam them down and shatter them into toothpicks.
No matter how much they cost or how big they are. They are all high profile so it's like trying to hold up a sheet of plywood in hurricane force winds and expect to keeping standing there. :W

Update: Hurricane Irma - Mayor ordered mandatory evacuation in the Keys.

Updated Projected path. See the one red dotted line?
That goes right thru my Florida winter house and my MH! :E

Just praying it takes the path of those 2 lonely white strings that are on the Atlantic side!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
An actual hurricane? The only protection is under the hood...drive far far away ASAP.

Even the windstorms down in Nevada, Arizona, eastern Oregon too I imagine..that will and do, topple semi's? Would make short work of an RV. If ever you are driving on the wide open spaces and it's really windy? and you see people pulling in and stopping under traffic over-passes? They aren't writing on the walls under there.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
How susceptible to hurricane winds are rvs when parked? is there a way to secure them? Been living on the west coast where we don't have such things. Only earthquakes, volcanos, wild fires, floods, show storms etc.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Florida Governor Scott just declared a 'State of Emergency' for Florida as new reports says it 'will' hit Florida just not sure if it will be East or West side. or even a direct hit. ๐Ÿ˜ž

""...Irmaโ€™s projected to turn west-northwest by the end of the day Tuesday, moving on an overall track that increased the possibility that South Florida will feel its effects, if not take a direct hit....""
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article171223317.html

Well, The good news I guess is I did decide to buy the more expensive higher wind rated shingles for my new roof. Guess I'll be letting you all know how well they do their job. :B

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Now it looks like it will make landfall somewhere between Alabama and Georgia. Please be safe, if you are in your RV, make your evacuation plans now. If you can't be mobile, stock up on food and water, and determine where you will hunker down outside of the RV. Good Luck.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Still too soon for them to tell exactly where, but here are the infamous spaghetti model from NOAA.

Went to the store to pick up some water and batteries......all the shelves are bare already.

I just keep telling myself over and over again 'why' I am here...it doesn't snow here, it doesn't snow here, it doesn't snow here. :B

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Florida could be the next disaster.

Yup, and that's where I am at now at my winter home. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lost my roof last year to hurricane Hermine. Had to put new roof on.

I sure hope I don't lose the new roof too this go around!
Everyone please say a prayer for me that Irma goes around on the East side. :W

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forecast today has changed and it's looking like Florida will get hit.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's going to miss Fla and most of the Bahamas's. To soon to say about NC.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...