cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gooseneck towing of 5th wheel

esanorm
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Keystone Montana 2004 3295K 5th wheel. It has a Fifth Wheel to Gooseneck Adapter Hitch. Does anyone have experience towing a 5th wheel with this as opposed to traditional 5th wheel hitches? My truck is 2017 Ram 3500 with factory puck system.
Thank you
23 REPLIES 23

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog wrote:
Leverage is an issue and a gooseneck is much harder to hook up than a 5er hitch...you cannot see the ball from most trucks.

While I don't like the physics of the goose neck adapter, lining up a goose neck is as simple as a cheap telescopic magnetic pickup tool placed just forward of the ball.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
skidooman93 wrote:
If the previous owner was using a gooseneck adapter then why not continue. Either the damage has already been done, or it is unlikely to occur. If you were buying a new hitch, Id strongly consider and Anderson Ultimate. Despite previous posters suggesting they are inferior. I have no reason to ever consider a different hitch after over 5k miles towing this summer. With another 2k to go.
It's not that the gooseneck hitch is inferior, it is that the design of most 5th wheels may not lend itself to using a gooseneck adapter. Problems may not show up for quite some time, perhaps closer to 10,000 miles than 5,000 miles.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
A lot of people do tow their 5er with the gooseneck adapters. And I don't remember any of them ever posting that it specifically caused a frame failure. BUT. Frame failures are a concern. And with the additional torque such an adapter puts on the frame, I would not.

Since you are a new Montana owner go over and join the Montana Owners Club forum for questions specific to your Montana.

No offense intended but the most gooseneck 5th wheels I've seen, seem to always come from or are in Texas...not sure why other than maybe that everyone has a gooseneck hitch in their truck and figure since its good for 30K it should work for any trailer.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
If the previous owner was using a gooseneck adapter then why not continue. Either the damage has already been done, or it is unlikely to occur. If you were buying a new hitch, Id strongly consider and Anderson Ultimate. Despite previous posters suggesting they are inferior. I have no reason to ever consider a different hitch after over 5k miles towing this summer. With another 2k to go.
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.

MountainAirMan
Explorer
Explorer
So you take the overhang cover around pin box mount off and check the pin box mount structure

Oh, ye simple minded folk!
I use a very nice fiber optic scope. Everybody should have one.:C
Lyle (the other one)

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I posted some as links, which seems to work
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
burningman, I couldn't get the pictures to open either. In looking at your signature picture, I couldn't get enough detail! So... I'll take your word for it! :C
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
burningman, In looking at your picture...is that a Bayliner Trophy Hardtop? If so, we've got an '87 with 305 chevy. Real nice ole boat!

Well... you probably don't have one like this lol.
This was originally a '74 Reinell 24'. It's now a Land Yacht, it drives on land. It's all custom, there's no car under it.

Land Yacht
Land Yacht 2
Land Yacht 3

I do actually have a Bayliner flybridge... it's still a "water" boat.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The picture posted of the small broken frame looks like any low cost 5th wheel trailer frame that didn't have the proper size material or gusseting for the job. WE see this type/similar breakage even with a reg 5th wheel hitch such as problems IB516 had on his larger trailer.

A broken/cracked pin box and surrounding framing cracks where its attached is where problems can occur if it wasn't designed and built for a GN adapter use.
If the trailer in question has been towed with a adapter and you want to use it I would watch close when accelerating or hard breaking if there is any movement around the pin box attach area. Use your own judgement.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
burningman, In looking at your picture...is that a Bayliner Trophy Hardtop? If so, we've got an '87 with 305 chevy. Real nice ole boat!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't feel as bad about gooseneck adapters as I do about those 4-foot receiver hitch extensions!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
MountainAirMan wrote:
I haul with the an adapter. No problems in four years of use. My 5er is approx #12k. There is no additional stress at rest, the concern is taking off and stopping. I see lots of pictures of damage but no one claiming it was due to a gooseneck adapter.

I examine my frame work periodically because of all the doomesday complainants. So far, so good. We recently traveled to Lake George, Niagra Falls,back to Lake George, and home to western Va with no signs of any cracks, fatique marks or broken welds. We traveled some "very" rough roads in New York and Pa.

BTW, from an engineering view the shorter your pin box the less stress exerted. I happen to have a rather long box.

Some day if I fgind the time and get too anxious about it, I may weld a few additional gussets at key stress points.

So you take the overhang cover around pin box mount off and check the pin box mount structure ??
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MountainAirMan
Explorer
Explorer
I haul with the an adapter. No problems in four years of use. My 5er is approx #12k. There is no additional stress at rest, the concern is taking off and stopping. I see lots of pictures of damage but no one claiming it was due to a gooseneck adapter.

I examine my frame work periodically because of all the doomesday complainants. So far, so good. We recently traveled to Lake George, Niagra Falls,back to Lake George, and home to western Va with no signs of any cracks, fatique marks or broken welds. We traveled some "very" rough roads in New York and Pa.

BTW, from an engineering view the shorter your pin box the less stress exerted. I happen to have a rather long box.

Some day if I fgind the time and get too anxious about it, I may weld a few additional gussets at key stress points.
Lyle (the other one)

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
I have years of experience towing with a gooseneck and a regular hitch. What is your question?

BTW: in spite of what you will read here in a short while from the anti gooseneck people, it is no more likely to damage your frame than any other hitch.

Perhaps you should study the design geometry and gusseting differences between a gooseneck and a 5th wheel. There is a reason that many RV manufactures will void the warranty if you tow with a gooseneck hitch.

That said, there are a couple of adapters that are supposed to be designed to reduce the multiplied torque applied to the 5er through the use of a gooseneck,
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl