cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black spots on rubber roof

TCI
Explorer
Explorer
We have attempted to clean our rubber roof with rubber roof cleaner and the spots just won't come out. Any suggestions. Thanks to all
2015 31ft Keystone Montana Fifth Wheel w/3 slides
2015 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 Short Bed Diesel Crew Cab
1 Cat
Fulltiming since Oct 06 - Sold the Stick House
15 REPLIES 15

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
As recommended by the manufacturer, I use a mild detergent like Simple Green or Spic and Span and a push broom. Keeping the roof clean also reduces those unsightly black streaks on the sides of the trailer, too.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
I removed some of my vents and and cleaned the area of the roof around the vents before installing the new ones. I found that using CLR with mold and stain remover turned the roof white again and got rid of most of the spots. I was really surprised at how white it became when I rinsed it down with water. I was using a tire and wheel brush for these small areas but I plan on using a brush mop on the rest of the roof and the awnings now. The bleach didn't do much for my roof.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
Bunch of misleading info above (as in 'the black part of the roof showing through') ! The black spots are most likely mould, which will come off with a good dose of laundry bleach. (It turns yellow first then clears up) That bleach will not harm an RV's "rubber" roof. Use your sponge mop and a hose with a sprayer.

As to cleaning the roof or not, it is like cleaning your car. Do you care what it looks like or not? Up to you. "A ship is known by her boats."

While cleaning the roof, that's when you notice things like cracks in the Dicor that must be corrected, so it is not all about looks.

This is my experience as well. The roof on my trailer is vinyl and Murphy's oil soap works extremely well on it. Just be sure to keep the sides of the trailer wet.

Good point. The bleach run-off down the sides when being hosed off might affect the graphics on the sides. Not an issue with my trailer that I can tell, but that is mentioned in the proper advice for cleaning the roof with bleach.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Bunch of misleading info above (as in 'the black part of the roof showing through') ! The black spots are most likely mould, which will come off with a good dose of laundry bleach. (It turns yellow first then clears up) That bleach will not harm an RV's "rubber" roof. Use your sponge mop and a hose with a sprayer.

As to cleaning the roof or not, it is like cleaning your car. Do you care what it looks like or not? Up to you. "A ship is known by her boats."

While cleaning the roof, that's when you notice things like cracks in the Dicor that must be corrected, so it is not all about looks.

This is my experience as well. The roof on my trailer is vinyl and Murphy's oil soap works extremely well on it. Just be sure to keep the sides of the trailer wet.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MrWizard
i hose my down, the same time I hose my soar panels, about 3 times a year
mainly during the dry season
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
But there are black spots that do come off with a light wash with dish detergent. Prolly just mold.

And my rain gutters collect gobs of algae and moldy gunk, which easily comes off as well.

But if it requires too much effort, I wouldn't do it. Not good for you or the roof. :B

Personally, I've never washed the roof, but have occasionally wiped out the gutters.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

MrWizard
The white is a reflective cosmetic coating, it does aid in cooling and beauty
The black is the real color of the rubber

There are white rubber roof coatings you can buy
But then you have to do the whole roof for it to be color matched

If you coat only the black spots, you will have bright white spots
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
It will not be noticed by airplanes or people in high-rise apt.
They will be to far away from the black spots to notice.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Denny & Jami wrote:
The black spots is the rubber showing, scrubbing will do nothing but make then bigger as you wear more of the white off.

Denny

X2
HTML

TCI
Explorer
Explorer
My husband thanks you. I especially like Dave M'so suggestion.
2015 31ft Keystone Montana Fifth Wheel w/3 slides
2015 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 Short Bed Diesel Crew Cab
1 Cat
Fulltiming since Oct 06 - Sold the Stick House

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
If possible, apply my remedy. Get off of the roof and quit looking. :W

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
The black spots is the rubber showing, scrubbing will do nothing but make then bigger as you wear more of the white off.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
It's cosmetic and won't harm anything. If you really want to remove stains you can buy a bar of lava soap and put it in a thick old sock - little elbow grease and the roof will look like new.
Kevin