Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: How long would you leave cats home alone?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> How long would you leave cats home alone?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here - Lots of good advice - thanks!

Some ramblings...

I think they would be traumatized if we boarded them.

They aren't very social except with us (and each other) - they pretty much hide whenever anyone comes over, so even if we had someone check on them - they would certainly hide.

We do also leave extra bowls of water and food along with the automatic ones. But - great idea for the dripping faucet!

The doors are a scary thing. They love closets and have actually locked each other in while playing. So we pay attention to all the doors - close the ones that could cause a problem and put wedges under the doors that have to stay open.

Our last trip without them we were gone 4 days - 2 of which were short driving days so were just a few hours each. When we came home they were curled up in their bed together and barely lifted their heads to say hi. [emoticon]

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub
--- Also a 2004 Roadtrek 170 (See pic in Profile) ---
Trip Pics

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will leave our cats for a long weekend - mid Friday until the following Monday. Longer than that we have friends come over to check on them every other day.

RVcrazy

Puyallup, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 days was our limit, & it was 2 1/2 mostly. If longer, we had a neighbor check the food, water, and spend a few minutes with the cat. They do get lonely. Having someone check on them lets them know they have not been forgotten...

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wasn't the best of a child when i was younger. My parents moved and i was 3 weeks finding them on my own. Hope this helps

Dennis Hoppert

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/17 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have left our cat for as many as 10 days. Maybe even longer in the future. Cats are very independent, do not over eat, and are very happy being alone. We leave a large bowl of dry cat foot, big water bowl, and a large storage bin converted to a litter box. We are quite prepared to have to do a bit of cleanup when we come home. Takes the cat a few hours to quit complaining that we left her alone but she does thus while rubbing up against us.

She has been with us on a couple of trips and I'm convinced she is much better having separate vacations where hers is a staycation.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/17 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never, ever leave an animal unattended. When we absolutely had to leave our cats at home, we arranged for a cat loving human to come by each day or two, to check on the food and water, clean the litter boxes, make certain the cats had not been locked into something, and in general to give them attention.

In return, I would do the same for them when they had to leave their cats at home.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Spotacus--Christmas cat
DOTL Spec. Alexander the Grrreat--tuxedo cat, Rainbow Division

Kittykath

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/17 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 to 4 days max for a social cat. I usually leave a couple blinds open, plenty of food and water, and a radio turned on to a talk station. DH doesn't think the radio is necessary, but it can't hurt. She also has the run of 3 floors and the garage. Any longer than 4 days, and my son will come keep her company and take her outside for fresh air...at the same time clean out our pantry and fridge.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanderlost wrote:

I would never, ever leave an animal unattended. When we absolutely had to leave our cats at home, we arranged for a cat loving human to come by each day or two, to check on the food and water, clean the litter boxes, make certain the cats had not been locked into something, and in general to give them attention.

In return, I would do the same for them when they had to leave their cats at home.

"each day or two" - so you would leave your animals unattended for a day or two. Which is fine, just be careful making blanket statements.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> How long would you leave cats home alone?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS