Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Sequoia National Park Camgrounds with a 5th Wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Sequoia National Park Camgrounds with a 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
cledaybuck

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at planning a trip to Sequoia National Park next year with my 5th wheel which is just under 35' long and 13' high. It appears there are several sites in campgrounds like Dorst Creek and Sunset that I would be able to fit into, however when I contacted the park they said they would not recommend bringing my RV into any of the campgrounds as it would height restrictive. I find this somewhat hard to believe as even NPS own website shows a 5th wheel in the picture for Dorst Creek campground. So I was wondering if anyone has taken a similar sized RV into Sequoia/Kings Canyon, and if so where did you stay? Thanks.

2oldman

Ephrata WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sequoia posts

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This site explains some RV length restrictions in Sequoia NP. https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/vehicle-restrictions.htm

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Sequoia RV Ranch, Three Rivers, CA, when we were visiting the parks. Just about 5 minutes from the park gate.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Wherever we are for however long we stay...

F-TROUP

VISALIA, CALIF

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your setup to dry camping, generator ect. you can stay in between both parks at Big Meadows. Best way up is Hwy 180 and once through the park entrance you'll come to the Generals Hwy take it 12 miles to the entrance to Big Meadows, dispersed camping is free and can visit both parks from there. Be sure to water up as no water in BM.

cledaybuck

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

We stayed at Sequoia RV Ranch, Three Rivers, CA, when we were visiting the parks. Just about 5 minutes from the park gate.

Rob
I think they are going to be doing construction on the Generals Highway between there and Giant Forest through next year. That doesn't seem like something I would want to drive through both ways every day.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

Rob

X-2

This is one of our favorite RV Parks

By the way on our last trip into the park we saw a 5th wheel that had severe damage to the drivers side front cap. One of the RV'ers said the 5th wheel had come in contact with a semi on one of the narrow curves in the park

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-TROUP wrote:

If your setup to dry camping, generator ect. you can stay in between both parks at Big Meadows. Best way up is Hwy 180 and once through the park entrance you'll come to the Generals Hwy take it 12 miles to the entrance to Big Meadows, dispersed camping is free and can visit both parks from there. Be sure to water up as no water in BM.

Is the road to Big Meadows a road fit for the OP's 35 foot 5er??? . . . [emoticon]

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

TenOC Photos

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If trying to go in on Hwy198 would be MUCH MORE CONCERNED about LENGTH restrictions. JM2 cents YMMV

cledaybuck

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maddog348 wrote:

If trying to go in on Hwy198 would be MUCH MORE CONCERNED about LENGTH restrictions. JM2 cents YMMV
I have no intention of trying to come in that way. I would be coming into the park from 180.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Sequoia National Park Camgrounds with a 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS