Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2 Scams
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ro_sie

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I figure the phone calls threatening me from the IRS are a form of cheap entertainment. Gotta have a sense of humor today just to survive.

ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Holiday Rambler Endeavor

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I get the calls from the guy in India that wants to tell me have virus in the computer, I have to laugh as I tell him that the only windows computer it the one that answers the phone. The rest are Linix.

We still get calls from people that want to help us sell our timeshare. We sold that three years ago at a profit.

Here's the best part. We used to get several dozen telemarketer calls a day. Then I signed up with

If your primary house line is a voip line and you have simultaneous ring feature, go look that one up. The service for iOS is cheap, but they have not yet rolled out the Android version. I'm waiting for that one.

Now we don't even bother getting up until the phone has rung a second time.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/17 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We quit answering the phone altogether. The land line goes to an answering machine that specifies you leave a message in mailbox #2. Most of the time they just hang up, but the robocalls often do leave a message -- in the default mailbox, which we just erase without listening. Call my cell phone, I don't answer unless the number is in my contacts list. I have phones for MY convenience, no one else's. And ESPECIALLY not for scammers, spammers, and flim-flam artists.

WDP

Eastern Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/17 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stops the majority of these kind of calls. clicky. Really nice to hear the phone ring once then disconnect. Probably someone I don't want to talk to.

WDP

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/17 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, NoMoRobo works as advertised. We love it.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/17 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I not sure why but "Ring once and then hang up" is another scam.. Turns out when you call back it is an intgernational call and they charge you as well.

Area codes in the US the 2nd digit is normally either zero or 1, if you see a different number there suspecct it,.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ncscz

South Slope Buzzard Roost Ridge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/17 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Area codes in the US the 2nd digit is normally either zero or 1, if you see a different number there suspect it,.

Not true any more, since none of the 200(+/-) area codes created in the USA since 1995 have 0 or 1 as middle digit.

CarriGo
Model 2320

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/17 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got this one today in an email from PayPal Review Team email-address [email protected]

Doesn't paste in right which indicates something funny, but basically it was update your information to fix dome bogus problem.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed

nineoaks2004

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/17 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I answer and say " Good morning /evening +++++ County sheriff's, office fraud division Lt. jones speaking may I assist you" for some reason the hang the phone up do not call again. I wonder why?. Another thing I have done is use an air horn
I put it right up to the transmitter and blow it, this usually get my number placed on the do not call list.

* This post was edited 09/07/17 06:47am by an administrator/moderator *

By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually just tell them to go ahead and take the money from my Nigerian bank account. It has millions in it!

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS