Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2 Scams
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/17 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a post on Facebook today claiming to be from the IRS it gave a 202 area code number (Washington DC) and said the callers are calling people telling them they are in violation of tax laws and are about to be arrested if they don't hand over money and I mean NOW.

YES: this warning is legit. I got the call last week from a differnet 202 area code number... Oh.. I know the IRS is not going to call you.. If a warrant is issued they will serve it IN PERSON, if not they send a letter.. The only way they will call you is if you call them first.

The other one. and this too is an oldie

A letter arrived, Official looking envelope

"Condgradulations you have won $1,325,000.00 Send us $12.95 Processing to collect...

(NOTE I parahrased a bit) I "Processed" it today, it's on the way to the postal inspector's office, ENVELOPE and letter both.. THey will personally serve the warrant on the scammer.

YOu see, asking for "Front money" of any kind, such as a Processing Fee.. Violation of Postal laws. NOT allowed, Pure scam.

Why did I not fall for 'em.. Well.. My brain has not rotted, I've learned a few things over the decades.

* This post was edited 08/31/17 05:37pm by an administrator/moderator *

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/17 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't fall for them either, it just boggles my mind how many people actually do. [emoticon]

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/17 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife's phone today got a message recorded it stated that an IRS agent computer generated voice had an arrest papers and to call a number immediately 1 213 533 9201.

1 It should be an arrest "warrant" (arrest papers) dead give away.

2 no one in the States gives the "1" before the area code

3 213 is the are code for Los Angeles CA. My residence is in San Diego not Los Angeles.

4 IRS does not contact over the phone, they send a letter.

And there are those that fall for this!

navegator

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/17 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone actually fall for either of those well publicized scams (on the local news/national news numerous times for many years) needs to get taken ....life lessons hurt for a reason [emoticon]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

NanciL

Bakersville, NC,/Key Largo FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch out for this one: my wife got a call from a foreign speaking person who said she was from Microsoft and they had detected a virus in her computer.
She said that they needed her password so they could immediately get on her site to repair it, otherwise her computer would crash.
Naturally my wife smelled a rat, hung up and called Microsoft to report it.
they said it was a new one and that is how they would obtain a persons private information.
They also said that Microsoft would never call a person to get in touch with them.

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I ever get one of the "IRS" calls threatening to put me in jail, I plan to tell them "OH, PLEASE do! I have a terminal illness, and if you put me in prison, THEY can pay all the expenses while I die!"
I wonder what the scammer will say...
But, all I get is calls offering to help me pay off student loans that I don't have.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC SWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides the IRS scam, I get the ones from a young lady that wants to thank me for staying at one of their resorts, we have never stayed at a resort of any kind, anywhere, at any time,she gets hung up on before I even hear which resort.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh I get all kinds of calls. Got one the other day "You expressed an interest in a back brace" (You see the ads for a pain relieving back brace) Uh, no I did not, my Physical Therapist fixed the problem (Eliminated the CAUSE) and though I still have a bit of pain left.. It is fading fast.

Folks if the IRS has a warrant for your arrest they will not call you on the phone They will, however, come calling.

Here is another one to watch out for

The "Your child (Or grand child or boss or loved one) is in trouble and needs bond money.. Western Union (DING DING) it to ____ (Code name)

Too bad I Can't send ____ what I'd like to send him (One each pair of matched Stainless Steel bracelets manufactured by Smith & Wesson complete with a professional bracelet fitter)

Finally Time

Western Washington

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I heard of one person who answers the calls from real people with "Quick do you know how to get rid of blood stains?" Most of the time they hang up on him.

If I have time to play games, I answer the "Microsoft guy" with, "that's odd I don't have a computer."

'13 Winnebago Vista 27N, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Dance Chick

Winter Haven FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just posted this on another forum. Received a text of a fraud alert regarding my Wells Fargo debit card and instructing me to call about it. I do not have an account at Wells Fargo nor do I have a debit card of any kind. Out of curiosity, and since they already had my cell #, I called the number as instructed. It sounded exactly like it was Wells Fargo answering the phone and then asked me to enter the debit card # that I was calling about. Of course, I didn't enter anything and hung up. The troubling part is that it sounded very legitimate and real when they answered the phone. I'll bet there are those who do enter their debit card #.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS