Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eyeing the Used Market And looking for Some Help

TheHound
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks,

First post here after doing a ton of lurking and reading including the FAQs. Very helpful but I am looking for some specific input please.

We have been researching various trailers and motorhomes and have come to the conclusion that a shorter Class C checks the most boxes. It will just be the two of us and our dog on road trips but will need the capacity to tow a utility trailer for our SxS on occasion. I think 22'- 24' would do the trick.

We are planning to rent one this October to check out the fall colours and if we enjoy the experience, make a move on an older used class c and then upgrade when we retire.

An example of one that's in our wheelhouse in terms of budget and size is listed in the autotrader (can't link to it apparently)
2004 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser 235 - 2004 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser 235
Super clean in and out, stored indoors, non smoker, no pets, no accidents, service records, in mint condition in and out. fully loaded and self contained, generator, microwave, 2 awnings with new material, 3 piece bath, sofa slide for added space, 3 burner stove with oven, 2 door fridge, tv, large sink, holding tanks, plenty of storage, recent michelin tires. propane tank certified (good until September 2021. Very easy to drive and park. you will not be disappointed. Priced to sell at only $26,999 certified and etest included

My only experience with an RV was a 24' boondocked 5er. So, the questions... any specific used makes/models that are considered more reliable or ones to avoid at all costs? Is it hard to get parts in general? The unit in that listing has over 70,000 miles, what would be considered reasonable? Am I crazy? lol

Thanks in advance for any intel.
18 REPLIES 18

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
TheHound, Seeing that you're from Toronto, and may experience some cool weather....take a look at the Bigfoot MH's. Though you will have to buy used! Made right there in Canada, they're one of the best class c's for cool/cold weather use! We ended up with a 26Sl, which is slightly longer than what you specified, but has pretty amazing room and storage. The quality of construction/cabinetry, etc. seems to as good or better than most. The original owners (cross country skiers), used it down to a minus 17 F with the water system in service. One of the "very few" units with enclosed/heated tanks. We haven't been able to "cold" test it yet (as we just recently got it), but will in a month or so.

They are on the E 450 Ford Chassis, and are "not" inexpensive. Also, be careful with the V-10 Ford engine produced prior to 2004, as they had a poor head design, and had a history of "blowing" out spark plugs. Just for piece of mind get a unit that is an 05 or newer, as some 03/04 engines may have been used in a later model RV. As an example, generally speaking... a 2006 unit will have an 05 chassis. Also, another in going with an 05 or newer will likely get you the 5 speed auto transmission.

Good luck on whatever you choose.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Hound,

We are very experienced RVers;four truck/camper combos, full-timing in a 38 foot diesel pusher, and now a 23-1/2 foot Winnebago Minnie, Class C.

The advice given so far is spot on --- "condition" is critical when buying a used RV. Especially check the roof, cab, cab lights etc. for leaks. Also make sure everything works.

Like you, we decided that a short Class C would best suit our needs --- small enough to drive and park and get around in without needing a tow vehicle --- roomy enough to live in.

Do your homework. RV's are built to differing quality levels. The Thor you are renting is at one end of the quality scale. We test drove a brand new Thor. Empty it had more squeaks and rattles on the highway than did our 2002 Minnie when the Minnie was full of pots and pans and other personal effects.

The Thor will have a FLAT, Rubber roof (Either EDPM or TPO, both wear out after 10 or 12 years). Our Minnie has a crowned, fiberglass roof.

The devil is in the details. Ask questions. Do your homework. Good Luck.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

TheHound
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

I see that you are renting,if it from Cruise Canada,they have a Rent To Buy Rebate Program That is very attractive.

We just confirmed our rental for 5 nights with Motorhome Escapes Canada. We will be in a Thor Chateau 23U. Hope that's a decent rig.

We looked at the other local rental options and most had a strict no pets policy.

TheHound
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
To the OP. Any ad that says: Certified and Etested is usually a scam. What exactly is certified? BTW: The B class unit you posted are problematic.

Moisheh

Not sure about that certified thing either lol But etested is important as by law here in Ontario your vehicle must meet certain emission standards.

TheHound
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
The ad in the first post is not far from the 2004 we bought in 2008. Ours is an E350 only 20 feet long. It was a former rental with 80 000 km. We actually enjoy sleeping upstairs on the cabover, which would not suit everyone, but sure keeps the length and weight down. With 833 kg cargo capacity I never have to think about weight. The tires are lightly loaded, the engine doesn't have to work hard. The rear overhang has never touched down while we drive into all our favourite boondocking spots. It fits easily in the driveway. We have never towed a car because this MH parks like a van, no problem parallel parking on a street. Mall parking lines are a little too narrow and short but it's not a big deal. My 12 foot utility trailer with four kayaks loaded Is not felt. I figured 4.25 km/L = 10 mi/gal US; it goes nicely from Grande Prairie to Jasper on a full tank which is 400 km.

I would accept an extra 2 feet of overhang to get a real shower.

In its 9 years and 25000 km with us it has never been in a garage or RV shop. Unfortunately it took me 8 years to run eternabond over the joint from cabover to metal roof and around the vents so we did get a bit of water dripping during heavy rains several times. Tires of course and it has a date with a good mechanic for spark plugs in a year or two. It is a Canadian Adventurer, which is a low end RV but no problems with the appliances other than a leaky tap on the bathroom sink.

We had this fairly remote campground by the Peace River all to ourselves last week.

Thank you for sharing and that's a nice camper you have there. Great to hear it's treated you well.

We are looking for something very similar for all the reasons you stated. Perhaps a touch bigger so we can have the bed at the back. We have 11 acres north of Toronto with zero services so a big part of this rental is to determine how well it would serve there and for some travelling with the SxS.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP. Any ad that says: Certified and Etested is usually a scam. What exactly is certified? BTW: The B class unit you posted are problematic.

Moisheh

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Used, there is no warranties, so condition is paramount. Most all Cs your looking at will be on Ford E350 cutaway chassis.

That is true on a used unit from most dealers and private parties.

If you buy a Former Rental they come with a 1 year or 12,000 mile power train warranty and 30 days on all major appliances.

There are more than 90 happy members that have bought one.

TheHound wrote:
Hey folks,

First post here after doing a ton of lurking and reading including the FAQs. Very helpful but I am looking for some specific input please.

We are planning to rent one this October to check out the fall colours and if we enjoy the experience, make a move on an older used class c and then upgrade when we retire.

I see that you are renting,if it from Cruise Canada,they have a Rent To Buy Rebate Program That is very attractive.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
The ad in the first post is not far from the 2004 we bought in 2008. Ours is an E350 only 20 feet long. It was a former rental with 80 000 km. We actually enjoy sleeping upstairs on the cabover, which would not suit everyone, but sure keeps the length and weight down. With 833 kg cargo capacity I never have to think about weight. The tires are lightly loaded, the engine doesn't have to work hard. The rear overhang has never touched down while we drive into all our favourite boondocking spots. It fits easily in the driveway. We have never towed a car because this MH parks like a van, no problem parallel parking on a street. Mall parking lines are a little too narrow and short but it's not a big deal. My 12 foot utility trailer with four kayaks loaded Is not felt. I figured 4.25 km/L = 10 mi/gal US; it goes nicely from Grande Prairie to Jasper on a full tank which is 400 km.

I would accept an extra 2 feet of overhang to get a real shower.

In its 9 years and 25000 km with us it has never been in a garage or RV shop. Unfortunately it took me 8 years to run eternabond over the joint from cabover to metal roof and around the vents so we did get a bit of water dripping during heavy rains several times. Tires of course and it has a date with a good mechanic for spark plugs in a year or two. It is a Canadian Adventurer, which is a low end RV but no problems with the appliances other than a leaky tap on the bathroom sink.

We had this fairly remote campground by the Peace River all to ourselves last week.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

TheHound
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great insight everyone. Will certainly update when we have narrowed our choices. Cheers!

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Love our 22' C. It's 1999, had 19,000 miles on it, E350, V10 with lots of power. It's mint condition with everything working well. We had the roof sealed for protection, new tires, turn signal unit replaced, and complete engine, generator, and a/c on top serviced. Do not be afraid of a older unit with low miles..it's all about how they were cared for. We had a of school RV inspector guy check it over before our first trip and it passed with flying colors. Good luck and hope you find gem.
Forgot to add we bought it two years ago.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
About 8 years ago, we went to look at a 24' BT Cruiser. When we got to the lot, there was a Winnebago Aspect 23d sitting next to the BT. Same size, similar layout on an E350 chassis (there are some on the E450). We really liked the Winnie, seemed to have better fit and finish, a fglass roof and the capper for me were the Alcoa wheels.

We tow a Honda CRV and it is easily within the Aspect specs. The brochure is on the Winnebago site, the 23d (24') was only made, I think, 2005-2006.

Just another option

Norm
F1BNorm

mikethetexan
Explorer
Explorer
TheHound wrote:
*Bump* So, how about parts availability for older RVs? Good to go or is this going to be a full-on MacGyver kinda deal.

2004 is still new enough that parts aren't too much trouble. Ford made a gazillion cutaways of both E-350 and E-450 style, and the powertrain systems are used on other vehicles too. Chassis parts won't be a problem. As for house parts, most manufacturers use the same ovens, refrigerators, and all that. Those parts aren't so hard to find, either.

My home is a 2005 on a 2004 chassis. I haven't had any problems finding bits and pieces to keep it in service.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Renting a 24-25 foot Class C will give you some experience with Class C's and help you decide on the length and floor plan that will satisfy your needs. Short Class C's usually have less storage/cabinetry area and convertible sofas/dinettes, or sleeping in the overhead including climbing over your partner when you need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Take your time learning about class C's and what to look for in a used RV.

TheHound
Explorer
Explorer
*Bump* So, how about parts availability for older RVs? Good to go or is this going to be a full-on MacGyver kinda deal.

I assume some makes are discontinued. Any ones in particular to avoid or should I try to stay within a certain time frame?

Thanks again!