Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Has anyone upgraded to a QD 8000 from an LP unit
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Has anyone upgraded to a QD 8000 from an LP unit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Mike,

It's not theory - it's basic AC Circuits 101. Have you researched this to where you now understand the QD 8000 has a maximum 66A on the neutral and the RV 50A circuit has a maximum of 50A on the neutral?
I don't find anything from Onan that supports your theory Bob, but Onan isn't real open about publishing the install manuals. What I do know, is the Engineers that designed my coach didn't see it necessary to do anything special for the 8000 QD, so I'm sure the OP will be fine not upgrading the wiring or transfer switch. I have the same 50amp rated lugs on my transfer switch that he does on his, and the wiring gauge, including the neutral, coming from the shoreline is the same going to the CB. I don't see where the generator wire size is any larger than the others either. My personal opinion is you are trying to prove a point that has no difference on the outcome.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/17 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike,

Initially I just wanted to correct some of your mis statements. But we’ve gone beyond that and it’s clear that further depth is out of your wheel house. You can have the last word.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/17 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So in other words you really can't explain why nobody cares about what the neutral carries other than you. Not even the manufacturers see it your way.

I would like to believe what you are saying and I would like to understand, but when I open mine up I'm just not seeing anything that would support what you are saying - at least in terms of the upgrades you are saying are required to operate the 8,000QD. You may have a higher background knowledge, but on the ground I'm not seeing where what you are saying is actually engineered that way.

Who is Mike anyway [emoticon]

* This post was edited 09/02/17 10:27am by Mile High *

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typo, should have been Mile not Mike.

I'm willing to start again and go into more depth if we're both willing to stop the personal posts on what each of us know. Agreed?

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/17 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's fine with me. You kind of started out condescending to everyone on the post, but I can sit back and listen if you want to explain it.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i want to add something here , food for thought

he already has a 6500 LP generator

thats what ? 28 amps per leg, 56 amps max possible full load, on the neutral
in a strickly 120, 120 parallel in phase windings

8000w another 5amps per leg, a max possible 10amps increase on the neutral

do you really thing, the wiring is so weak, so undersized, that it is NOT going to handle that increase ?

I don't

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T

BigRabbitMan

Cottage Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/17 11:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

he already has a 6500 LP generator

A 6500 LP generator is identical to a 7000 gasoline generator. The reduced energy in LP vs gasoline caused a de-rating to 6500 for the same unit. My unit says 7000 on the outside, but due to my changing it to LP it is now a 6500 unit.

All of that means that he would be wired for 7000 watts even though he has a unit rated at 6500. His upgrading to 8000 max output would be only a 14% increase in MAX available current. I have never used the maximum output of my generator.

BigRabbitMan & DiamondGal
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."
DataStorm Satellite internet / I am here-click to see

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is exactly what is being pointed out
Rewiring is not needed, a neutral wire heavier than the hot wires is not needed

polar76

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/17 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys for all the input.... I was surprised over the back and forth between CA Traverler and Mile High, but thought it to be interesting...
Haven't decided to do this yet but have been looking into it. Might just by a new coach due to the cost of the upgraded and other things that need to be done.
Love my Country Coach but gotta look at the overall picture on cost.
The generator install would run close to $10k or more and I would have to have a shop drop the diesel tank and add pickup lines for the fuel.... just sayin it's going to be expensive.

Thanks again will give update on decision in the next few weeks.

1997 32' Country Coach Allure
2014 Jeep Sahara

">

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/17 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I certainly agree that the OPs wiring may be acceptable for the gen upgrade. But I don’t know his wire size, length or how much voltage drop would be acceptable to him. This is why I said in my very first post on this thread I said “You may need to replace the wiring…”. It’s so simple to check the wire gauge, estimate the length then run one of the free wiring calculators and then determine if the voltage drop is acceptable. Arbitrary statements without knowing the basic information is just that arbitrary.

My prior MH used a larger neutral from gen to ATS to CB panel for the QD 7500. So they understood the need for that MH and did not compromise with lower gen voltage at the main CB panel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Has anyone upgraded to a QD 8000 from an LP unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS