Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Has anyone upgraded to a QD 8000 from an LP unit
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Has anyone upgraded to a QD 8000 from an LP unit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
polar76

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering doing this on my 97 CC Allure.
Nothing but problems with the 6500W LP unit,
We like our coach but fed up with lack of reliability of the generator.
so new diesel generator on different coach.
Anyone done this and what issues came up..?

1997 32' Country Coach Allure
2014 Jeep Sahara

">

msturtz

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/17 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In theory you should have no problems. That said here are a few things to consider. An 8KW generator probably is split phase power. This means It is closer to your shore power connection where you have 120 VAC line to neutral and 240 VAC line to line. Most motorhomes don't have any 240 line to line appliances. That said the transfer switch must be wired for this configuration. Your existing generator likely has a single pole 30 Amp breaker. An 8KW (66.67 Amps @ 120VAC) generator may have 2 50 Amp breakers or a single dual pole 50 Amp breaker. It is likely you will need to run additional and larger wiring. You also need to consider the transfer switch you have. If it is rated to handle split phase 240 and is rated for 33.33 Amps @ 240 VAC or 66.67 Amps @ 120 VAC it could work. The good news is your master breaker panel is likely rated to at least 50 - 100 Amp @ 240 VAC split phase so that should be fine. The other good news is the new generator would likely fit in the location your old generator came out of. Also, you need to consider if your diesel tank has an accessory out port. If not, you will need to figure out how to connect to the fuel supply.

* This post was edited 08/30/17 02:11pm by msturtz *

FMCA member

polar76

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks msturtz,
the QD 8000 is configured for 120 V only.
and my breaker panel is rated for 100amps with two 50amp breakers.

msturtz

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/17 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

polar76 wrote:

Thanks msturtz,

I just did a little research. It uses a dual pole 35 AMP breaker. This means it is a 240 split phase unit. That said, depending on your QD 6000 unit may have split phase as well. However you still need to upgrade your wiring. Please understand that the 240 VAC isn't used or listed on the manual. However it is critical to understand how this is wired so you don't electrocute yourself or damage your RV or equipment.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm confused, his 6500 LP is going to be the same split phase as the 8000. My 5500 LP was split phase. Any 50A service MH is already going to be prepared to accept the split phase. The wiring to the transfer switch is already sized for two 50A legs, so the only wiring upgrade will be from the gen output to the transfer switch - wiring which the gen probably already comes with.

The 8000 we have now is a water cooled variable speed pure sine wave generator and works sweet for us in our MH, but we also never had trouble from our 5500 LP in the 5er. It served us for 12 years in 3 different 5th wheels. What kind of trouble are you having?

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

msturtz

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/17 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

I'm confused, his 6500 LP is going to be the same split phase as the 8000. My 5500 LP was split phase. Any 50A service MH is already going to be prepared to accept the split phase. The wiring to the transfer switch is already sized for two 50A legs, so the only wiring upgrade will be from the gen output to the transfer switch - wiring which the gen probably already comes with.

The 8000 we have now is a water cooled variable speed pure sine wave generator and works sweet for us in our MH, but we also never had trouble from our 5500 LP in the 5er. It served us for 12 years in 3 different 5th wheels. What kind of trouble are you having?

There are many different transfer switches and not all of them can handle a split phase 35 AMP generator input. The wiring would need to be upgraded to handle the additional current.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/17 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msturtz wrote:

polar76 wrote:

Thanks msturtz,

I just did a little research. It uses a dual pole 35 AMP breaker. This means it is a 240 split phase unit. That said, depending on your QD 6000 unit may have split phase as well. However you still need to upgrade your wiring. Please understand that the 240 VAC isn't used or listed on the manual. However it is critical to understand how this is wired so you don't electrocute yourself or damage your RV or equipment.

my onan has two 30 amp breakers too but it's only 30 volt they are basically wired together fed off the same winding.

Just so you know.. However at 5500 watts it does not matter.

The BIGGEST Problem with Generators is lack of Exercise

1/2 hour under 1/2 load (Or more) every month.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/17 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The existing 6500lp generator is wired with two breakers feeding the double Pole 50 amp breaker box

No wiring changes are needed

It's all about fuel lines, and air flow for cooling the QD radiator

Make sure the new one will fit
Allow for the fact is probably has to slide in and out for service
The ones I've looked at all sit in long ways, with the radiator on the outside end , not side ways like the lp Genny
What ever you do, it's going to be a custom install

Good luck

Strange about your LP problems, the only problem with mine is the exhaust breaking, and and refilling lp every 3 day's in 100+ heat,
One of the reasons i have a portable gas generator
Next coach will be gas engine and gas generator, would love a QD genset

* This post was edited 08/31/17 09:48am by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/17 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of misinformation here. Split phase is used to identify 120/240V power. The QD 8000 is not 120/240V but rather 2 120V circuits. This means each hot line will carry 4000/120 = 33A and the neutral will carry the combined current of 66A. You may need to replace the wiring from the gen to the ATS and then to the CB panel. And you will need to upgrade the ATS to one that will handle the increased neutral amps.

Besides physical placement and weight your biggest problem might be diesel fuel. You need a separate fuel pickup and return to the tank. I would not T into the existing engine lines. This means the fuel tank will have to be removed and upgraded. Be sure the gen pickup is higher than the engine pickup so that the gen can never empty the tank enough so that you can't run the engine to go get more fuel.

Or you could install a second diesel tank for just the gen.

12V to the gen is needed of course and you might need larger wires for starting. Check the gen specs vs your existing wiring. And you'll want a switch panel and wiring harness for inside gen operation.

This will be a major project.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/17 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msturtz wrote:

Mile High wrote:

There are many different transfer switches and not all of them can handle a split phase 35 AMP generator input. The wiring would need to be upgraded to handle the additional current.
There are not many different transfer switches for an RV - there are 30A service and 50A service, with our without surge suppression. He already has 50A service. You do not have to size the transfer switch for the generator.

progressive dynamics

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Has anyone upgraded to a QD 8000 from an LP unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS