Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Pets still not accepted at evacuation shelters?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Pets still not accepted at evacuation shelters?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/17 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For more information about Harvey check out the Corpus Christi Caller newspaper.
CC newspaper

The George Brown convention center run by the Red Cross is allowing pets in with the owners. Don't know where the other center is, but there must be a reason the people and their pets were outside. Hotels have their own rules for pets and do not have to allow them in the rooms.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/17 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I lived up north we didn't have evacuations because tornadoes unfortunately to not give us any notice.

But what we do have that is exact in nature is shelters for those displaced by the tornado.

Most shelters set up another room if possible within the building or section off an area within the shelter for people who have pets.

From what I can tell by videos and pics that is what the Houston Convention Center has done. They have another area for evacuees with pets.

All I can say is that after this bill passed that in my state all the shelters that would NOT take pets in the past were all required to do so. It was a true blessing for us.

Which was so needed because people were staying in their unsafe torn apart homes because they had pets. Which in turn put a strain on our emt resources which were deployed to watch/assist these people when they were more needed elsewhere.

People and their pets together in a safe shelter during a disaster is the only way to go.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rjxj

Over there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting. I didn't know this and we do have pet pig which is absolutely wonderful pet. I'm glad that there is a law allowing this.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/17 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone should check with their Governor/Mayor/City councilman with a copy of this bill in hand to make sure that they are aware and have instituted a plan for shelters to accommodate pets. BEFORE a disaster strikes. [emoticon]

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting that the article was in a foreign newspaper that probably doesn't even know where Texas is. If anyone wants to criticize things in Texas, they should get up off their priviledged as-, and either get there and help. or send lots of money and help to those that are trying. Yes, sometimes taking care of pets is a problem, but taking care of idiots is a useless cause.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 dog(?)

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/17 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a dog, and basically always have. And I would appreciate being able to take him with me. But what about folks like myself who are allergic to cats, or another animal? I could not stay in an area with much cat dander or I would become ill. Are you proposing to push people out, to make room for pets?

EV2

Iowa/arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/17 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

I have a dog, and basically always have. And I would appreciate being able to take him with me. But what about folks like myself who are allergic to cats, or another animal? I could not stay in an area with much cat dander or I would become ill. Are you proposing to push people out, to make room for pets?

X2

doxiemom11

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps this particular locations was a "pet free" shelter where people with allergies or who do not like animals could go while the other locations allowed pets.

keepmotoring

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all shelters allow pets. That was the reason some people left their pets behind because they had no idea which shelter would have room for them. If you had your pets with you to find out shelters that allow pets were full, what do you do? Can't go back home, can't live outside in the storm and waters.

I have tried to put myself in their shoes and can't imagine what these people went through. I love my pets and some need meds everyday and all are seniors. I would take them with me and hope for the best. I hope I never, ever have to go through this.

LUVRVN

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the pictures I saw had the animals inside in crates along with the Evacuees. There was no mandatory evacuation since they had no possible working plan to do so. Too many people too few routes out. Read local articles, not rags like the UK Daily Mail.

Nancy, Doug and Penny (the Boston)
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW
2012 Ford 350 4 door crew cab Diesel SRW King Ranch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Pets still not accepted at evacuation shelters?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS