Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Hellwig sway bar
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Hellwig sway bar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd guess those bolts and holes are all metric. Probably like wrenches, some of the metric threads "almost" match British and vice versa.

Installing the baseplate on our Frontier pickup, the large OEM bolts were to be removed, and longer ones furnished with the baseplate installed. Originals were nearly 1/2" diameter, some metric size, and self threading. New bolts wouldn't catch, wouldn't hold, I forget which. Luckily they weren't mounted "blind". We could get behind so I drilled through with a 1/2" bit. We used 1/2" bolts with LocTite on nuts beyond the OEM threaded part we drilled out.

Hopefully we'll get those torque specs. I forget if my manual (not Ford, just Haynes) specifies the torque for those specific parts, or just the fastener size. Will check on this when we get the New Numbers.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Racine96

Racine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi friends,

Here are the numbers I got at the dealer:
Front bolts 111#
Smaller back bolts 18#
Side links bolts #57

Yes, I know, you will be wondering the difference between the front and the back bolts. The service manager and I talked about and wondered if it was a typo. He went back to see his master mechanic who told him it was due to the significant size difference of the bolts.

I installed the front Hellwig sway bar this afternoon in less than an hour with a friend's help. I also installed the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer. Worth it.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/17 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One Hundred Eleven Foot Pounds! Holy Breaker Bars Batman!

Is there a Weld Nut up inside that cross member for that Bolt? I really cannot see where they're coming from with that kind of torque on the few threads I think are in that formed chassis material. Unless it's doubled up some way. Wish I knew why Ford decided to go So Big...

I know we had an OP who gave up on a DIY install because he couldn't get the front bolts out.

Please keep us updated on the Roadmaster (RSSC?) Stabilizer. They aren't as popular as S-T-P, but they're less expensive and might have better mounting kits. I for one, and likely others, would like to know how it Installs, Adjusts, Drives, and Holds Up.

Racine96

Racine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to see how easy is to install the Roadmaster stabilizer, you can go to youtube. There are some videos on it. No big job as there is no need for drilling.

OFDPOS

Nor Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one of the better video's on replacing the Roadmaster steering stabilizer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRoWrkL9LS4

I like the Roadmaster mounting bracket much better then the Safe-T-Plus mounting bracket !

As for drilling holes ? Not sure where that came from on the Safe-T-Plus install ?

The STP mounting bracket , you have to remove the drivers side ASB mounting bracket , install the STP mounting bracket under it then retighten.
THAT'S where the problems come in.

If you notice in the video on the Roadmaster stabilizer install you can see the boxed frame and how thin it is , how many threads can be tapped in that ? 4-5 ... and that's the bad quality on ford's part with no added welded nut or ? inside the frame .

Racine96

Racine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what your concern it, but I can tell you it is pretty firm and strong once installed.

OFDPOS

Nor Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/17 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok lets get on the same page Racing96 [emoticon]

I like the Roadmaster main mounting bracket , its held in place at the same location the stock one hence 3 bolts , the mounting bracket is against the box frame like an L shape , solid.

The STP main mounting bracket mounts underneath or above the ASB mount using only 2 holes for mounting and the rear bolt at least on the 2008 and newer is undersized , and easily stripped out the threads if not properly trq to specs. Even then by removing the bolt a few times will strip the threads out on the hole.

In my last post I was referring to the frame thickness on the video at 1:51 you can clearly see how thick or thin the Ford chassis frame is , and that's what is threaded for both sides holes to mount the ASB to.

I called and talked with Henderson's in OR. and he told me when they install a STP SS once they get the mounting bracket lined up and bolts tightened they put a couple spot welds on the mounting bracket/frame to hold it.
They have noticed that over time turning the wheel back forth has caused a few to loosen up.

My words NOT theirs I feel STP SS mounting bracket is a bad design , it should have been designed like the stock one or like the Roadmaster one.

One last thing , I find it odd that STP SS is mounted just the opposite of the stock dampner and the Roadmaster RSSC ? Kinda makes ya scratch your head thinking why ??

Racine96

Racine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/17 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OFDPOS,

I don't know much about the STP. I remember that when I was making a decision it did not was of my liking. In addition, it was more expensive. I like the spring used by Roadmaster which is not part of the STP. So, I decided for the Roadmaster. It took me less than an hour as my friend handle one side and I did the other. It has three bolts provided for the frame at the passenger side. I am glad I decided for this one instead of STP.

If you have questions on the Roadmaster, I will be glad to answer. For STP questions, you need someone else.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/17 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm another interested in Roadmaster RSS, so I've been following all this with interest. There've been several threads lately, either directly about RSS (RSSC since this is the Class C forum) or bringing a stabilizer like RSS or STP up in connection with other suspension mods.

Which install bracket kit did you use? The videos from eTrailer show different part numbers than the Roadmaster site.

Were you one of the ones who had to re-position the moving end (on the drag link) and/or repair/replace the RSS unit because of something with the spring?

Thanks!

Racine96

Racine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/17 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the difference is on the bracket to be used. I think the RSS is the same. I had nothing to move except the stock steering stabilizer, and put the new one. There wasn't much science to it. It was much easier than anticipated.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Hellwig sway bar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS