Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: AMHS Website
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> AMHS Website

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/17 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having difficulty computing the cost from Bellingham to Haines with my set-up in my signature below. Overall length will be 56' with bike rack attached.

When entering info, the Ferry website gives me choice only of "Truck/Camper" after I enter my truck info. No choice for "TT". How do I enter my truck plus my TT to learn the Ferry cost from Bellingham to Haines? What am I doing incorrectly?

This is research for a possible trip next summer.

For the heck of it I entered my car's info and easily learned the cost for my Toyota: $2,490. Not so my truck/TT. I know the Ferry will be pricey, but I want to compare the cost of towing from home to Haines next summer as opposed to getting on the Ferry in Bellingham.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2016 Creekside 26RLS
Go Cougs!

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/17 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easiest way is to call a ferry office, tell them your desired itinerary and vehicles and they'll give you a quote.

...in my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, the website is a bit cumbersome and is best only for general guidance.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/17 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from their website
Vehicle Restrictions

Dock restrictions apply in some of our smaller port communities and we limit online bookings to a maximum vehicle length of 30 feet. This applies to singular vehicles or vehicles towing trailers, campers or fifth-wheels. If you have a vehicle or truck and trailer longer than 30 feet, you must contact our reservations call center. They will ensure there are no vehicle restrictions for your departure and arrival ports.

https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/web_bookings.shtml

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/17 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

Easiest way is to call a ferry office, tell them your desired itinerary and vehicles and they'll give you a quote.

...in my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, the website is a bit cumbersome and is best only for general guidance.

Interesting that you recommended this. Recently we took an Inland Passage cruise from Vancouver to Skagway. Our cruise ship was tied up next to the AMHS Skagway Ferry dock. I walked over there and talked to the person behind the counter and asked her about the fare I described in my OP. She told me she could not calculate it, but I needed to use their website to do so when I got home.

I have tried both approaches, and apparently neither of them works.

EEWally

Missoula, MT and Tahuya, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/17 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jamesu,

I'd suggest taking a great 4-5 day drive from Camano to Prince Rupert and taking the Alaska Ferry from there. You might cut the cost in about half.

In 2014, our 22 foot truck camper cost about $1200 from Prince Rupert to Haines with layovers in Ketchikan, Juneau and Sitka (separate side trip to Prince of Wales Island from Ketchikan).

I'm not sure what you would see between Bellingham and Prince Rupert anyway.

1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

irbf30

Sherman,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/17 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple years ago, my 52' rig was $4200 from Haines to Bellingham.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> AMHS Website
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS