Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: AMHS Website
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

 > AMHS Website

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jamesu

Camano Island, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/29/17 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having difficulty computing the cost from Bellingham to Haines with my set-up in my signature below. Overall length will be 56' with bike rack attached.

When entering info, the Ferry website gives me choice only of "Truck/Camper" after I enter my truck info. No choice for "TT". How do I enter my truck plus my TT to learn the Ferry cost from Bellingham to Haines? What am I doing incorrectly?

This is research for a possible trip next summer.

For the heck of it I entered my car's info and easily learned the cost for my Toyota: $2,490. Not so my truck/TT. I know the Ferry will be pricey, but I want to compare the cost of towing from home to Haines next summer as opposed to getting on the Ferry in Bellingham.


2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2016 Creekside 26RLS
Go Cougs!

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/29/17 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easiest way is to call a ferry office, tell them your desired itinerary and vehicles and they'll give you a quote.

...in my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, the website is a bit cumbersome and is best only for general guidance.


CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2016

View Profile



Posted: 08/29/17 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from their website
Vehicle Restrictions

Dock restrictions apply in some of our smaller port communities and we limit online bookings to a maximum vehicle length of 30 feet. This applies to singular vehicles or vehicles towing trailers, campers or fifth-wheels. If you have a vehicle or truck and trailer longer than 30 feet, you must contact our reservations call center. They will ensure there are no vehicle restrictions for your departure and arrival ports.

https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/web_bookings.shtml


Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/29/17 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

Easiest way is to call a ferry office, tell them your desired itinerary and vehicles and they'll give you a quote.

...in my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, the website is a bit cumbersome and is best only for general guidance.




Interesting that you recommended this. Recently we took an Inland Passage cruise from Vancouver to Skagway. Our cruise ship was tied up next to the AMHS Skagway Ferry dock. I walked over there and talked to the person behind the counter and asked her about the fare I described in my OP. She told me she could not calculate it, but I needed to use their website to do so when I got home.

I have tried both approaches, and apparently neither of them works.

EEWally

Missoula, MT and Tahuya, WA

Full Member

Joined: 05/01/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/29/17 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jamesu,

I'd suggest taking a great 4-5 day drive from Camano to Prince Rupert and taking the Alaska Ferry from there. You might cut the cost in about half.

In 2014, our 22 foot truck camper cost about $1200 from Prince Rupert to Haines with layovers in Ketchikan, Juneau and Sitka (separate side trip to Prince of Wales Island from Ketchikan).

I'm not sure what you would see between Bellingham and Prince Rupert anyway.


1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal


irbf30

Sherman,TX

New Member

Joined: 05/07/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/03/17 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple years ago, my 52' rig was $4200 from Haines to Bellingham.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

Senior Member

Joined: 09/04/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/30/17 02:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jamesu wrote:

Having difficulty computing the cost from Bellingham to Haines with my set-up in my signature below. Overall length will be 56' with bike rack attached.

When entering info, the Ferry website gives me choice only of "Truck/Camper" after I enter my truck info. No choice for "TT". How do I enter my truck plus my TT to learn the Ferry cost from Bellingham to Haines? What am I doing incorrectly?

This is research for a possible trip next summer.

For the heck of it I entered my car's info and easily learned the cost for my Toyota: $2,490. Not so my truck/TT. I know the Ferry will be pricey, but I want to compare the cost of towing from home to Haines next summer as opposed to getting on the Ferry in Bellingham.


I checked out their website and had to call your trailer a "all terrain vehicle" not perfect but it did give me a price, plus the schedule only goes as far out as April 2018. Prices ranged from 5600 dollars to 6300 dollars Bellingham to Haines one way with 2 people , hopes this will give you an idea if you still want to travel by ferry.

We drove through BC and the Yukon to Alaska in 9 days with two side trips in Canada (2015) you can do it 5 days or less.

* This post was edited 09/30/17 03:05am by c.traveler2 *


2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/LB/camper pkg..Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel



Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman210000 YouTube Videos


jamesu

Camano Island, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/02/17 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

c.traveler2 wrote:

jamesu wrote:

Having difficulty computing the cost from Bellingham to Haines with my set-up in my signature below. Overall length will be 56' with bike rack attached.

When entering info, the Ferry website gives me choice only of "Truck/Camper" after I enter my truck info. No choice for "TT". How do I enter my truck plus my TT to learn the Ferry cost from Bellingham to Haines? What am I doing incorrectly?

This is research for a possible trip next summer.

For the heck of it I entered my car's info and easily learned the cost for my Toyota: $2,490. Not so my truck/TT. I know the Ferry will be pricey, but I want to compare the cost of towing from home to Haines next summer as opposed to getting on the Ferry in Bellingham.


I checked out their website and had to call your trailer a "all terrain vehicle" not perfect but it did give me a price, plus the schedule only goes as far out as April 2018. Prices ranged from 5600 dollars to 6300 dollars Bellingham to Haines one way with 2 people , hopes this will give you an idea if you still want to travel by ferry.

We drove through BC and the Yukon to Alaska in 9 days with two side trips in Canada (2015) you can do it 5 days or less.



Thank you for your research. I appreciate.

With Travel Trailers being a major segment of the RV industry it is hard to believe AMHS does not have that designation in their drop downs, making its customers guess and experiment as you did. That part of the website needs to be fixed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

 > AMHS Website
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS