Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdoors RV vs Jayco - Owners, Please Share Your Thoughts

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello--

Been looking for a used TT for my family of 5. Me, DW, DS (18), DS (13) and a furry friend. Our 13 yo has Autism and will be camping with us for years to come. Unlike most teens, DS (18) enjoys spending time with us and his brother so he will go with us as much as college allows him to.

Considering late model (2014+) Jaycos.... 28BHBE and 32BHDS. Used prices are around $15K-$20K

During my search I ran into a 2016 Outdoor RV Timber Ridge 280RKS. $32K is asking price. Did a little research and found it to be pretty well made.

What can those of you who own, or have owned, these models share about the Outdoor Timber Ridge 280RKS compared to Jayco Jay Flights?

The 280 RKS floor plan is nice. There are no bunks but the added two recliners allow wife and I a place to have coffee if our boys sleep in.

I know there is an additional $10K-$15K in cost. Wondering if the additional cost has merit and is worth nearly twice the price of the Jayco? Resale?

I plan on keeping for several years and using often once I retire in 6 years. In the meantime, 3-4 (4-6 day) trips per year, and a two week trip during summers.

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
32 REPLIES 32

Mamabuchu
Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA wrote:
Prior to our 280RKS, we had a 2010 Jayco 24RBS. We enjoyed it, was pretty well put together, but didn't compare to our Timber Ridge in almost all aspects. Our son had a 2012 Jayco 26RKS before he got a Wind River 270CIS. He had quite a few problems with his Jayco, the worst being the roof of slide sagging a good amount!!

Neither of our ORV products have not had problems, but they have been minor, and have been taken care of easily both by myself and the factory. Lots of room and storage INSIDE the 280RKS, but minimal outside storage. Minor for us, and I have added 2 outside doors to access the dinette seat area from outside. Tows great, lots of fresh water and holding tank capacity, and well built. Warmer than the Jayco up here in the NW during spring and fall camping.

Jayco is a great trailer but not as great as an ORV, in my opinion. As you can see price also reflects that somewhat. Go with an ORV if finances allow!!

If you haven't been on this site, go there and read all the positive and negative posts. Good info!!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
TUCQUALA wrote:
In our 280RKS (and all newer trailers) . . .
Baja Man wrote:
. . . Considering late model (2014+) Jaycos.... 28BHBE and 32BHDS. Used prices are around $15K-$20K

During my search I ran into a 2016 Outdoor RV Timber Ridge 280RKS. $32K is asking price. Did a little research and found it to be pretty well made.

What can those of you who own, or have owned, these models share about the Outdoor Timber Ridge 280RKS compared to Jayco Jay Flights?
Baja Man wrote:
. . . We're debating a 2014-2016 Jayco JayFlight 32BHDS for $22K used

OR

2016 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 280RKS for $30K It has a Hide A Bed and large U shaped dinette and 2 nice swiveling recliners. Wonder if making up dinette and Hide A Bed every night and morning will become too much of a chore. It's not like we're living in it, but not sure how that process would pan out.
We were seriously trying to work deals on a 2018 ORV 280RKS (Mountain Series) throughout the western US. Quickly discovered that most dealers (especially in the NW) order it with 30 amp service---which leaves you with no upgrade path for a 2nd a/c. This is a 33 ft. trailer. One a/c probably won't cut it when temps are 115 degrees in the desert SW---even with the ORV's standard 2" insulation and double-paned windows. Prices, after a little haggling, varied from $40k to $45k (MSRP $51k - $53k including freight), all had no 2nd a/c, manual scissor jacks, and a "1/2/3" warranty (1-year hitch to bumper).

Jayco makes the Eagle HT 306RKDS (about 35 ft) which has the same floorplan as the 280RKS. Interior decor and color selection is also very similar. The 306RKDS typically comes with 50 amp service and 2 a/c units. As for contruction quality, it's hit or miss with the Jayco Eagles. I've seen some that are excellent, on par with the ORV, and some that were obviously made on a Mon or Fri. In any event, we found a new 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 306RKDS with 50 amp service, 2nd a/c (both a/c's ducted together), solid countertop with upgraded residential sink/faucet, frameless windows, 4-corner electric stabilizers, Cree equalizers, rear receiver hitch, 16" E-rated Good Year tires, 6-bolt 5145 lb. axles, and a 2-year warranty. It was priced at $29k at CW (total price without TTL)! A deal we couldn't walk away from. Typically they're discounted to $34k - $36k (with an MSRP $46k - $49k including freight). While doing some electrical mods, we pulled off various panels, opened the underbelly, and removed the power center on our 306RKDS. Ran some 2/0 cable, installed an inverter, EMS, transfer switch, and GC2 batteries---very impressed with the overall build quality. I'm convinced this unit was made on a Wed--lol! It was obvious a trained electrician installed the wiring into the power center, it was neat, bundled, and well labeled. This is our 4th trailer, so we've seen the good, bad, and the ugly.

We saved $11k-$12k vs. the ORV 280RKS. For our needs the Jayco Eagle HT 306RKDS offered more functionality for a lot less money. Granted, ORV, overall, probably has better quality control and build quality, but don't rule out the Jayco Eagles (FYI, the Flight, Feather and Whitehawk lines are totally different). If you can find one made on a Wed . . . discounted . . . they have the potential to offer outstanding value.

FeatherFam
Explorer
Explorer
We own a Jayco Jay Feather. While it is a little better built than most other ultra lights, that is not saying much. Most RVs are junk. Our Jayco is okay for a mass-produced unit, but it is not what we would consider high quality. It is cheaply made but not quite as cruddy as other slap-em out jobs. We do not think we will buy another Jayco or any other mass-produced unit. If we were to go the mass-produced route again, we would consider a Jayco, but we are saving for a better built TT.

We have been researching the ORV and Arctic Fox products for some time. We do not have any dealers in the South. When we head west for vacation, we plan on seeing some Northwood and ORV models. My brother in CA tells me that the differences in quality are visible and tangible. He especially, believes this about the ORV products, giving them a slight nudge above the Arctic Fox.

Since we will not be purchasing for several years, we hope that the quality remains. We understand that Northwoods Manufacturing now owns ORV.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Took a pic of spec sheet in cabinets. Photo will not upload but here they are....

2016 Timber Ridge 280RKS

Hitch: 1035
UVW: 7945
NCC: 1655
GVWR: 9600
Equal-i-zer 10K

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
double post

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
The 929 CCC is in addition to full water tanks. Brochure weights are listed with no options so when the unit is delivered with all furniture and options the actual CCC is far less than the brochure weights. Same thing happens with cars and boats. Never believe the brochure.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
That's a beautiful TT! Axle placement looks good. Just be careful with the rear kitchen. They quickly add weight aft of the axles reducing tongue weight. Also, like the rear seats in the school bus, everything in the cabinets and fridge will bounce more than an over or fore of the axles fridge. Can you access the fridge with the slide in? That's one of our must haves as we like to stop at rest areas for a sandwich and bathroom break. Also loading and unloading at home is much easier if the slide doesn't need to come out. If all that pans out, congrats on your choice. She's a beauty!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Update....

Went to see the 2016 Jayco 32BHDS this AM.

Great floorplan for a family with the rear room adding privacy. Outside kitchen was a neat feature, and it has a much lower price.

Although not a fair comparison, it was difficult not to compare it to the TR seeing as we just looked at it yesterday. I reminded my 18yo son, who accompanied me, to be as objective as possible and look for things that are important to us but don't ignore obvious issues. We did a pretty good interior/exterior inspection and analysis (less complete systems check).

After careful analysis and family discussion, we have decided on the 2016 TR 280RKS!!

Now, I will wait to complete the deal next week. By next Friday, we will/should be the new owners! We are all excited to say the least.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and assistance in providing advice, suggestions, comments, etc.....it has helped tremendously.

Now, as soon as we become ORV owners, my questions will be a plenty!!

Thanks!
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
it's 5/8" thick exterior grade plywood

but so are the new Jaycos
Equal-i-zer 10K

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
ORVs are built in eastern Oregon for conditions in the west.

One simple test of quality, is the floor plywood or chip board?
Adventure before dementia

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Baja Man wrote:

Does your 2016 have same CCC of 929# or close to it?

Thanks

Brochure CCC does not include water. Trailer sticker assumes full fresh water. My fresh water system is 103 gallons. So.... You might have to sometimes leave some water at home. Or just don't worry about it and just make sure you stay under the axle weights.

Bryan.....do you actually have over 400K miles on your 2000 Triton V10?

If so, IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!

I love my V10....smooth as silk!
Equal-i-zer 10K

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:

what year / model TT do you have? Bunks or ?

Sorry for delay on responding.
We're in a Class C.
Son picked it out for us. 🙂

He walked into a Jayco Greyhawk 31FK and told us that this was the one. ?Divine Intervention? and shortly thereafter a nice used on appeared on craigslist. So we grabbed it.

No bunks - he insists on sleeping in the Cab-over.

The bunks in the Class C's we've seen are way too small for our teenagers.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Been very happy with our third Jayco at just over a year old. I insist on a rack and pinion slide mechanism. I like the integrated tongue on the Jayco's chassis and factory 2" accessory receiver out back. Wife likes the quality of the in house built interior.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Yellow sticker taken off when purchased!! Haven't seen the mattress tag police yet!! Tire sticker states 1118 lbs. Like I stated, probably with water, or close. Again, I have weighed when as fully loaded as my wife can get it for a 2 week or so trip and have not gone over the 9600 lb GVWR. Don't feel unsafe or that we have limited capacity!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles