cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the WORST Experience You ever had at a RV/Camp site?

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Care to share any of your Worst Experience at an RV park/Camp site, do to Loud music, Loud neighbors, Intoxication, Burglary, Accidents (auto/RV/TT/5er) or whatever?
122 REPLIES 122

armond05
Explorer
Explorer
Woke up at 2am and that's because two neighbors are fighting.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have been to the beach referenced above. Beautiful location but the water can be dangerous. My experience was similar but at Gold Beach, OR. Camped in the motor home in the overflow lot of the RV park out towards the beach as the wife wanted to be able to hear the waves. It was a nice evening, but woke up in the morning to the sound of helicopter blades close overhead at about 6am.

Bottom line, the Coast Guard was searching for a couple that the taken their small boat out of the jetty area and the boat was swamped by high waves at the opening to the Pacific Ocean. Saw the chopper lift up the body of the wife. Never found the body of the husband. It was a depressing day.

Have been back to Gold Beach but not to same RV park.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Just another one Of this story we were camped at the next beach down Wirghts Beach. After setting up camp we saw cute family having fun next to us. An hour later we herd screaming and one of these little girls around 5 years old washed in to the ocean. Nothing we could do no body to be seen. We were shocked! Coast guard came look for hours. We went on a 6 hour drive home right after that. The never found the body so sad
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

BKNW
Explorer
Explorer
Was walking at night in state park with flashlight and fell into 3 foot hole, chest deep...shoulder had to be replaced after taken by ambulance to hospital. In hospital 3 weeks, then months of recovery. Camping again now, though!!

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
A couple that did a lot of tent camping talked the wife & I into a camping weekend. The last time we had camped was with the father-in-laws heavy canvas pole tent on the sand. On a beach in southern Oregon. What a beautiful evening that was watching the sun set shine through the tent door.

Well we did not have a tent this time. I think the Father-in-laws tent rotted out because of the way we folded it. So we went to a โ€œsurplusโ€ store and bought what I thought was a nice light nylon tent. I am sure we had a wonderful meal and talk that evening evening at the heavily wooded campground. But at sunset it started to rain. And rain it did. With thunder and lightening. More rain and thunder and lightening. At some point we decided the new tent had a leak. So we moved around trying to avoid it. That did not work. Finally I pointed the flashlight straight up and all you could see was mist coming through the tent top everywhere!

We then moved the sleeping bags, now soaked, to the Chevy Citation hatchback (remember those?) and tried to get some sleep while it rained and rained all night.

The wife did not want to โ€œcampโ€ again until we glamped in a 30โ€ Class C many years later when the kids were ten & seven.

Today I know IF the tent had a fly things would have been much different.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly there was no cell service around there in those days. The threat came even though I remained polite. They knew they were pushing it with the surrounding campers, aware of a possible situation with the way they behaved, they were looking for trouble. I found a way to deal with it. My church camp had a peaceful weekend camp after that.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
They threatened bodily harm? I'd have called 911 and let the cops deal with them.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you folks for the stories. I try to stay in private camps where staff would have problem campers out in minutes. Some are very beautiful but harder to find. I did have two very nice new shirts stolen.

Planning ahead knowing about alternative nearby camps and remaining packed, ready to go at a moments notice is sometimes very wise.

I was once threatened bodily harm if I said one more word about them stopping their foul mouthed yelling at around 1 in the morning. I stood my ground and said a few things about dealing with a couple attorneys.

I must have ruined their whole idea of camping since they were absolutely quiet after briefly mentioning my legal tactics making sure they go broke in the process.

I later realized that they were testing to see just how far they could go pushing their idea of camping on our 50 or so very polite people in our church group camping nearby.

West_Coasting
Explorer
Explorer
lol.. While not technically a CG, we overnighted in a Sams Club parking lot in Camarillo CA. We were awakened at about midnight with insane drag racing in the parking lot. It was incredible. Car clubs, truck clubs etc, all show up there. They were racing between us and the big rig across the lane. Ran into a policeman at the gas station the next morning and he said they are aware of the racing, but leave them be instead of having them out on the the county roads

It was like something out of MadMax

-WC
2015 Pacific Coachworks Ragen EX
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were on a 10,000 mi RV trip touring the U.S. with another couple which are lifelong friends - each couple in their own rig. We were just into the trip about 2 weeks when they got hit by a bus and a pickup truck which totaled their RV. We helped them unload everything of value from their wrecked RV into a rented van and they went back to home to California the next day.

The DW and myself continued on alone for the remainder of the camping tour.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Back in the mid 80's we had a Coleman PUP . On our first year, we camped at a lake in Ohio near a large Amusement park and I made the mistake of unhooking my (only 1000 lb) camper from the car to roll it into position at the site. Unfortunately I was on an incline, it started down the hill toward the lake with me trying to hold onto the tongue! It gained speed, pulled me onto my back under the tongue and dragged me down the hill at least 75 ft . Would have rolled right into the lake except that there was a small tree in my path thank God! The back of the camper hit the tree squarely and stopped! We used that camper for 30 more years with that big dent in the back aluminum cover of the PUP and learned the hard way to back into position and chock the wheels BEFORE unhooking!

Was it Geauga Lake? If so, we stayed there once and the campground was awful. Poorly maintained, indifferent staff, raccoons hanging from overflowing dumpsters... oh, and the dump station. Don't get me started on the dump station.

Yes, It was that Geauga Lake Campground! Thanks for reminding me!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed reading all of the posts, thanks for taking the time to share.

We used to go camping over Thanksgiving at Kanopolis St. Park in the COE campground. A few years back they decided to start closing during the winter, we didn't discover that until we arrived, we weren't prepared to camp without electric hook ups that weekend so we ended up at the campground below the spillway. Well apparently the site we chose on Wednesday was used by a group on Friday that meets there every year, for the day, this site was not one that could be reserved btw. They ended up at the next site for the day giving us the occasional dirty glance but no more than that. Noticed the next morning that the hitch had been stolen off of my truck, fortunately it wasn't Sunday morning as we were getting ready to leave. I now have a lock that I use whenever the hitch is in.

Still had a great trip and the weather was beautiful!
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
Back in the mid 80's we had a Coleman PUP . On our first year, we camped at a lake in Ohio near a large Amusement park and I made the mistake of unhooking my (only 1000 lb) camper from the car to roll it into position at the site. Unfortunately I was on an incline, it started down the hill toward the lake with me trying to hold onto the tongue! It gained speed, pulled me onto my back under the tongue and dragged me down the hill at least 75 ft . Would have rolled right into the lake except that there was a small tree in my path thank God! The back of the camper hit the tree squarely and stopped! We used that camper for 30 more years with that big dent in the back aluminum cover of the PUP and learned the hard way to back into position and chock the wheels BEFORE unhooking!

Was it Geauga Lake? If so, we stayed there once and the campground was awful. Poorly maintained, indifferent staff, raccoons hanging from overflowing dumpsters... oh, and the dump station. Don't get me started on the dump station.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch