Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Tow dolly questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Trailers & Tow Dollies

> Tow dolly questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
KeninAZ

Prescott Valley, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/17 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a motor home and a flatbed car trailer. I recently had to switch cars from what we had and found out that the new mini van once loaded that I cannot open any of the doors due to the height of the fenders on the trailer.
So I will dispose of the near new car trailer and get a dolly as I need to have the van with me that has my wheelchair inside. At least it will save me some weight towing as the trailer weighs in at some 1700#
What brand is popular? I would like something light so if I have to disconnect the dolly at a given campsite I can move it around.
I will assume they have brakes~either electric or surge?

2000 Bounder 31M Class A~oldie but goodie
Acme EZE Tow Dolly towing 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Greydennyhawk

WNY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/17 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an American Car Dolly. It is steel, sturdy, an articulating front tire platform, fenders, lights and electric brakes. Delivered to my home for under $2000. New!
I find it easy to use and move around. Aluminum is lighter, but Does it hold up?
Good luck

Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/17 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howe much more height do you need to get the doors open? How about two 2" x 12" planks where the wheels run?

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/17 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could always convert the fender to be removable or "flip-able". Like U-haul does.

That said, a tow dolly will pull better, and free up a little more carrying capacity for the MH since it does not really add tongue weight.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 400,000+ miles!
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)
2015 Ford Focus ST

KeninAZ

Prescott Valley, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/17 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We thought about the planks but my mini van is close to 5000# anyway and the trailer hits some 1700+ #. That is slightly over what the MH is rated to tow. Like I said, the dolly will be lighter.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/17 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad habit to be overweight...even slightly. Did you ever put that combo on a scale?

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, the ultimate tow dolly is the DEMCO Kar Kaddy, with surge brakes.
Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it is heavy compared to some others. But, it is well built, and likely to last nearly forever.
I had one once, that was about 30 years old. It worked flawlessly on a trip from here to Ringgold, GA, and back. Selling it was one of the dumbest things I have done!
My second choice would be the American tow dolly.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC SWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Master Tow with surge brakes. No problems in over 10k miles. Well built for @ $$1700.00. Only complaint I have is that it is heavy and not easy to move around. Got a tow dolly dolly from Harbor Freight.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

KeninAZ

Prescott Valley, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Bad habit to be overweight...even slightly. Did you ever put that combo on a scale?

No, I did not actually weigh the package but the van maker says my model is 4330. To that I have had to add a power lift for my wheelchair and the power chair itself for a grand total of 4910#. That is of course with nothing else in the van.

From what I see on the 'net the Acme EZE Tow and the American tow dolly are the only ones with that type of weight capacity. The total package with the EZE Tow reduces my weight by some 1300# which I like too.

KeninAZ

Prescott Valley, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ordered the Acme EZE Tow. I had a couple of questions such as clearance for my new van which is low and they came right back and told me if it's an issue to lower the hitch height to 12". I sent another question about the straps and if they would work with my 17" factory tires and again they responded right away with the information.
Read many reviews and it appears it will do the job.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Trailers & Tow Dollies

> Tow dolly questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS