Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: The tale of two toads
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> The tale of two toads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/17 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

et2 wrote:

That jeep looks great with the MH!
Thanks!

Lift kit? New rims and wheels?

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/17 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from class A forum

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/17 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

Mile High wrote:

et2 wrote:

Thanks!

Just an equalizing lift to take the factory rake out of the front and to compensate for the weight of the winch and blue-ox baseplate, The rear is stock.

The Sahara wheels are 18" narrow wheels, so the prior owner changed them out with 17" wider wheels to allow for more tire options. These are 33" or 285/70R/17.

A 2-1/2" lift maybe next year and some 35" tires.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/17 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

et2 wrote:

Mile High wrote:

et2 wrote:

Thanks!

Just an equalizing lift to take the factory rake out of the front and to compensate for the weight of the winch and blue-ox baseplate, The rear is stock.

The Sahara wheels are 18" narrow wheels, so the prior owner changed them out with 17" wider wheels to allow for more tire options. These are 33" or 285/70R/17.

Hate to jump in....but a Sahara's stock gears are in the 3.21 range.....if you go with 35s, I would consider a gear change.

The stock gearing will be a bit underwhelming with that big of a tire. Unless you are going to be doing some of our beautiful state's more difficult trails (which are very few that your Sahara cannot handle as is), then I would stick to what you have!! It looks great.

Bill

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/17 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dubdub07 wrote:

Mile High wrote:

et2 wrote:

Mile High wrote:

et2 wrote:

Thanks!

Hate to jump in....but a Sahara's stock gears are in the 3.21 range.....if you go with 35s, I would consider a gear change.

The stock gearing will be a bit underwhelming with that big of a tire. Unless you are going to be doing some of our beautiful state's more difficult trails (which are very few that your Sahara cannot handle as is), then I would stick to what you have!! It looks great.

Bill
Thanks Bill - mine actually has the 3.73. They came standard with the HD towing option. Not saying 3.73s will be ultimate, but closer.

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Sahara with 3.73s is a great thing! It will do fine for you. I have the 4.10 option and that is really a good match, but there will be those out there that say 4.10s are not enough....I disagree.

Pretty Jeep! Love the color with the wheels and did I see KO2s? I have them on mine and I love them.

Bill

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/17 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Bill! Its a big improvement in ride over our TJ, but my daughter has it and is sure having fun with it.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/17 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2, you have made a good choice. We have a '13 that both of us absolutely enjoy driving and riding in. Drives great and tows great. The only 'problem' that I have had is on a trip to Cody Wy. I noticed some cupping on the front tires one morning as I was hooking up. I later found out that this may have been due to the power steering not being active as it was rolling down the road. I don't really know for sure.
A stop and Big Horn tire and $400 took care oof the problem and we continued the trip. I am sure I would have been fine to towed back home to N Georgia, but then I wanted to be sure and the new tires matched the stocks.
I paid a tech at our shop a $100 to install the Blue Ox and I did the wiring for the brakes and lights myself.
Did you get the hard top? Ours came with both (no idea why!) and I sold the soft top for a grand. Much quieter and dryer than the soft.
Enjoy the Jeep, they hold their value really well but I am sure you won't ever want to get rid of it except to maybe buy another.

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/17 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

et2, you have made a good choice. We have a '13 that both of us absolutely enjoy driving and riding in. Drives great and tows great. The only 'problem' that I have had is on a trip to Cody Wy. I noticed some cupping on the front tires one morning as I was hooking up. I later found out that this may have been due to the power steering not being active as it was rolling down the road. I don't really know for sure.
A stop and Big Horn tire and $400 took care oof the problem and we continued the trip. I am sure I would have been fine to towed back home to N Georgia, but then I wanted to be sure and the new tires matched the stocks.
I paid a tech at our shop a $100 to install the Blue Ox and I did the wiring for the brakes and lights myself.
Did you get the hard top? Ours came with both (no idea why!) and I sold the soft top for a grand. Much quieter and dryer than the soft.
Enjoy the Jeep, they hold their value really well but I am sure you won't ever want to get rid of it except to maybe buy another.

Picked it up Monday. Love it!! Im only 5'8" so I can just barley get in without using the steel Rock guard step. I thought larger tires would look neat, but then it would make getting in more difficult. So I'll keep the stock tires that came with it (32").

Got the freedom hard top painted as the body color ( goby ). No soft top. It has the head liner package. I wouldn't want the soft top. I really like this model and they aren't ordering anymore as the 2018's are coming soon. New style they say. So I bit the bullet and made the right choice. I heard they keep the value well.

Thanks for the feedback!

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/17 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sprintmod1 wrote:

Well, enjoy the new Wrangler! They are nice vehicles.

Friends bought one a few months ago to tow behind their new Tradition.

A few weeks ago they replaced it with a new Chevy 2500 pickup as their toad.

Your results may vary. . . . . . . . . . .

Did they replace it because of a towing problem or did they just not like the Wrangler for some reason?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> The tale of two toads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS