Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mammoth ordered! And now in production!

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Host Mammoth and Eagle Cap 1165.

Ever since our AF slide broke again we have been thinking about a new camper. A new triple slide camper. :C

We will be ordering something here very soon. This is a tough choice because both have strong appeal, and it is obvious that a lot of thought and care went into both units.

Both units look to be able to add large solar panels system and large lithium iron phosphate bank in the basement as well and associated inverter/converter equipment.

So doing as much research as a I can on the road and finally visiting a dealership today near Portland Oregon that has both brands we are trying to sort through the pros and cons.

Knowing that there is no shortage of advice and experience here I thought I would sound off my thoughts and let folks with experience chime in.

Here we go:

HOST:

Pros:

Lighter weight than EC (exactly how much, not sure. 500-800 lbs?)
Solid company with happy customers here on this board.
Huge pantry
Massive basement.
Terrific light from rear side window.

Cons:
Small wardrobe space outside of cab-over (awkward for me to use while DW is in bed)
Rear slide is shallow and seating blocks door if reclined. Probably not able to put a decent stand alone chair in this space if we delete the rear seating.
Casework drawers were not as solid compared to EC.
Dinette area would be a pain to repurpose due to forced air furnace and black tank utilizing space above floor in slide.
Weird dumping valves/having holding tank in the slide.

Eagle Cap:

Pros:

Lots of usable counter space in kitchen on island.
Great wardrobe space in bathroom area where one would change after a shower
Nice wardrobe space just inside entry door for coats, shoes, or even pantry.
Deep rear slide could support a slim stand alone recliner.
Dinette and slide not encumbered by HVAC or plumbing and could be used for whatever we want to build /customize down the road

Cons:

Shorter shower. A bit of ducking needed but good width.
Higher weight.
Wife cannot access bed from her side through kitchen
Dinette seats too short from backrest. Not as comfortable as HOST.

One other con for the HOST which I am not sure if I should even mention until we (hopefully visit the factory on Monday with possible explanations) is the Delam we saw on both units at Apache RV today. This was only on the slide sidewalls. The salesperson there was actually a service tech for many years in the industry and didn't try to BS me. He called it delimitation and offered as an explanation the small wall systems are probably built differently by hand compared to large exterior wall sections where adhesion methods could produce a better bond. He said he would contact HOST. BTW he repeatedly said HOST were great guys who stand behind their products. Just seemed weird to have two new units with visible delimitation on a lot.

In any case... Fire away. We figure we will have to order either way and time frame isn't critical. It would be nice to take it on a test drive in Jan down south to New Mexico.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.
78 REPLIES 78

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I like the more aerodynamic nose profile of the Host.

The tall cabover and flat-ish front of the new AFs is a big turnoff compared to my earlier model AF. The new ones look massive and bulbous.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

42lou
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:

Options not too exciting.

Everest bedroom layout Thanks Bedlam! add hamper on drivers side.

Nix mattress. We will do a memory foam.

Pecan interior with fake leather stuff. We really liked the black leatherette furniture but hated the "smokey" cabinets.

Nix rear slide furniture. They can add a few inches to the floor for us to place a lazyboy wall hugger type recliner and small end table.

Sofa instead of dinette.

Solar cool glass.

No genset. I think that's where the Lithium bank will go.

Nix batteries. I think that's where the inverter/charger/shunt/buss bars will go.

9k Air conditioner although I need to learn more about the difference between that and their 11k option. If anyone has an opinion would love to hear it. Looking for most efficiency.

Add shade awning.

No fireplace. I think that's where the solar charge controllers and associated fuses etc. will go

Still on the fence about a dc powered compressor fridge. 1 more cubic foot, 1200 buck add for nova fridge. Seems very high price since OEM is a very pricy unit to begin with.

No microwave/convection. We will probably put a toaster oven in that spot.

Upgraded escape hatch. Randy refused my request to do a Bedlam and install the fire escape in the window and do a fantastic fan.

We did spring for the 32 inch TV. HOST unlike other manufacturers doesn't use a 12v TV. They use name brand 120v and add a inverter to power it. I liked that. No TV in bedroom.

I think that's about it.

The graphics have changed again. The Orange is out. The graphic shapes seem to be unchanged but the color is more a charcoal.

hello there,

we are on our way from florida to host to pick up our mammoth.. we also requested the larger slide with an end table & a space for a (thomas payne?) euro recliner..
was wondering how that worked out for you & which recliner you ultimately chose?

and if you possibly wouldnโ€™t mind sharing a pic..

thanks in advance...
Lou & Nikki
Daisy (Morkie)
Domino (Cat)
2010 New Horizons custom Fifth Wheel 38' Summit
2018 Host Mammoth Truck Camper
2009 F450 King Ranch
6.4L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4.3 axle w/ towboss pkg.

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for reply! Can't wait!!

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
Faststreak wrote:
Enjoyed reading about the journey to get a new Host. I have been in touch with Bedlam on our decisions to get a new Host. Like several of you I just sold a Artic Fox. We have on order a new Cascade. The dealer we ordered through is the one Bedlam recommended Apache rv near Portland. We live a long ways from there in the Deep South. A road trip from is planned in late November or early December. Hope weather is cooperative. We were going to pick it up in bend, but the dealer really wants us to come there. Is there an advantage one way over the other. We are getting it nicely equipped with leather dinette and recliners. Also solar panel and 11000'Ac. At this point don't really have a gripe on all the electric mods that has been discussed. Can't wait for our new camper. Hope to see some y'all on the road. Eddie

Congrats! We visited Apache while we were in Oregon. I was very impressed by their knowledge and low pressure approach. We liked picking up at HOST. You will probably do this with Randall the general manager who knows these campers inside and out. We probably spent 3 hours walking through the camper, loading, shooting the ****. I think either way you will want to visit HOST and see the quality workmanship that goes in behind the finishes.

I bought from Apache but didn't make it to host. You can see the quality without going to the factory though. When you start looking close and opening up different access points, you can see they aren't trying to hide stuff. The quality of work out of eyesight is the same you see when you walk through the door. You don't see that with other manufacturers and doesn't even compare to the rest of rv products in the TT, 5W, etc.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Faststreak wrote:
Enjoyed reading about the journey to get a new Host. I have been in touch with Bedlam on our decisions to get a new Host. Like several of you I just sold a Artic Fox. We have on order a new Cascade. The dealer we ordered through is the one Bedlam recommended Apache rv near Portland. We live a long ways from there in the Deep South. A road trip from is planned in late November or early December. Hope weather is cooperative. We were going to pick it up in bend, but the dealer really wants us to come there. Is there an advantage one way over the other. We are getting it nicely equipped with leather dinette and recliners. Also solar panel and 11000'Ac. At this point don't really have a gripe on all the electric mods that has been discussed. Can't wait for our new camper. Hope to see some y'all on the road. Eddie

Congrats! We visited Apache while we were in Oregon. I was very impressed by their knowledge and low pressure approach. We liked picking up at HOST. You will probably do this with Randall the general manager who knows these campers inside and out. We probably spent 3 hours walking through the camper, loading, shooting the ****. I think either way you will want to visit HOST and see the quality workmanship that goes in behind the finishes.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Work2much, beautiful camper. Congratulations!!

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm scouting the eastern sierras next week including Alabama Hills, Bridgeport, and a couple lakes around June Lake centered in the Mammoth area (of course)! Our last night will be in Jackson at the Cashino RV Park.
We are also willing to travel for meet and greet almost anywhere!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Bedlam
Thank you for the offer - Ballpark dates are mid to late April of 2018, but this trip will be to move a family member and it is very much in flux if and when due to their health. Remind me to bring a NW collection of micros if this comes together - I live close to the largest hop producing area of the US.

http://washingtonbeer.com/washington-hops/

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
We're definitely forming a Mammoth group on this forum. I wonder if we can get these Mammoths together sometime? I may be making a 5800 mile round trip to NC next Spring which will burn most of my vacation time early in the year.

Im in west pa if you want to stop for a night. I have free full hookups for you. Also a nice local micro brew if your interested.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Bedlam
We're definitely forming a Mammoth group on this forum. I wonder if we can get these Mammoths together sometime? I may be making a 5800 mile round trip to NC next Spring which will burn most of my vacation time early in the year.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
Exciting times for you. We love our Mammoth. Headed out for a 4 day trip tomorrow.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! We are pretty stoked.

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, very nice! Congrats!