cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane Harvey

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you who winter in the Corpus area may want to rethink your plans. Those spaces will definitely be needed by insurance adjuster, contractors, etc for the next several months
20 REPLIES 20

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Uncle Grumpy wrote:
.... Our fifth wheel was destroyed but we just found another will be back!

Nice area, nice people, makes me sick to think about it. As everyone knows things can be replaced, just hope the mountain to climb isn't too steep.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
No. Power on to the park. Electriction to check each row. We and many of our friends are planning to return and support our park and the community. Our fifth wheel was destroyed but we just found another will be back!

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
It will Is a mess down here in Rockport area. Will be months before all power restored, clean up done, etc. rebuilding will likely take years

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Owner of the campground where we stayed last winter were allowed to check on their home and the campground. They are just outside the city of Rockport about 10-12 blocks west of the coastline. Luckily they only have minor damage to buildings but trees and debris all over. A few of the trailers that were in the park are on their side but the 5th wheels and motorhomes are still upright. It will take a good while to clean up, but they are in good shape compared to the neighborhoods closer to the coastline. Looks like the first 6 blocks or so have extensive damage to the buildings too.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
What I am hearing on tv from officials and from this forum is that the RGV was not affected by this disaster. However, that area makes it an ideal staging area for various federal, state, and non-profit organizations such as the Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, etc. because of the availability of full services in that area. Organizations domiciled in the RGV could help meet the needs of at least part of southern and coastal Texas. If a certain number of snowbirds have an expertise in reconstruction after a disaster and disaster management and would contact one of the above organizations letting them know about your expertise, I believe one of those unaffected sites in the RGV would be made available to you for the winter. At least there would be sites available for dry camping for those "off the grid" because of solar panels on their campers. If one had a passport, replenishing supplies across the Mexican border adjacent to the RGV would take a lot of pressure off the now fragile coastal Texas economy.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the up coming winter season in the Rockport/Fulton area. My take is that even if some of the RV Parks are open, their facilities will be in disrepair. Most of the restaurants, marinas, stores, etc will be under construction.

Think about what has to be done now. All of the wreckage must be removed AFTER the insurance adjusters are done with inspections. Plans must be drawn up. Building permits must be obtained. Insurance checks must come in. Work will commence...... for some quickly and for others not so fast. I doubt this will be a place you want to visit in three months time.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
For some good news from Rockport area, The BIG OAK tree at Goose Island made it through. You don't get to be 1,000 years old by being wimpy. :B

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
obgraham wrote:
Spent part of a snowbird season in Rockport. Mixed feelings now: would businesses be even worse off if everyone stays away this winter?

We should hear from folks who live and work there: "Should we snowbirders return this year?"

I suspect that you will be bidding for the available spots against insurance adjusters and repair people. The good news is that there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of campgrounds all over South Texas.

As bad as Houston is getting hammered, likely all of the contractors will head there. The coastal bend area will have a hard time finding someone to make repairs

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The people who live and work in the affected areas aren't even back home yet. I know the owners of the park we stayed at last year evacuated and don't even know if they have a house to go back to. I'm sure it will be a few days until some of the flooding is over before many will even know. So sad. It doesn't look good from all the u-tube videos I have watched of Port Aransas, Capano Village, Rockport, Fulton - devastating damage and there are a lot of RV's on their sides, tops or laying out on the highways.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Spent part of a snowbird season in Rockport. Mixed feelings now: would businesses be even worse off if everyone stays away this winter?

We should hear from folks who live and work there: "Should we snowbirders return this year?"

I suspect that you will be bidding for the available spots against insurance adjusters and repair people. The good news is that there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of campgrounds all over South Texas.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
Just found this on another site:
Port Aransas Mayor describes Pioneer Trailer Park damage at 100% loss.

One lady on the verge of tears was in a Trailer Park and lost everything...she's alive so there's that to be thankful for.
She was asked by the reporter from NBC News why she didn't evacuate and she said we simply didn't have the money...sad.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Go to youtube and search Hurricane Harvey Rockport. Videos look pretty devastating.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Just found this on another site:
Port Aransas Mayor describes Pioneer Trailer Park damage at 100% loss.
pawatt