cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cover for my Jayco 5th wheel Pin Box / Hitch?

ratified442
Explorer
Explorer
New to me Jayco 5th wheel. Very excited and recently took it to Jellystone Park in NY. My duramax pulls it nice and easy. So far the family loves the trailer and the experience. But I have a concern. When I unhooked the trailer the pin from the hitch hangs down quite a bit. I've almost wacked my head several times. Also the kids keep their bikes and toys under there - I want to avoid an ER visit on vacation!! I have googled 5th wheel and pin box cover and haven't found anything good? I found a plastic decorative cover and a foam piece - neither of which will do. Anyone have any ideas?? I also want to keep the hitch from rusting if at all possible.
17 REPLIES 17

ratified442
Explorer
Explorer
Each to his own I guess. I figured why put on a glorified pool noodle ($1 at walmart) on my $$$ camper. I equate it to put a plastic sheet on my classic car when I could put on a fitted protected cover. The fitted cover will last longer and offer better protection. Honestly couldn't be happier with the hitchvest. I highly recommend it and would gladly spend the money vs. a hospital visit somewhere hours away from home!!

http://www.hitchvest.com in case anyone is interested. Happy trails!!!

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
ratified442 wrote:
I saw that RV safe foam thing - not impressed. Cheap looking and based upon other reviews it doesn't last too long. Kind of like the pool noodle

I keep a cone in the truck and have used it thus far. I'm going to a my local RV dealer to see what they have - if anything.

I know you found the Hitchvest, but I just wanted to say- I'm 5 years into owning a RV Safe Zone pin cover and it's held up quite well. We do use a bungee cord to hold it on vs. just the straps for a pressure fit but that's mostly because it doesn't fit well on the Trail Air/Tri Glide pin box.

http://learntorv.com/product-review-pin-box-cover-by-rv-safe-zone/

I'm curious about this Hitchvest now, though. I'm going to check it out but $200 is way more than I'd be willing to spend.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ratified442
Explorer
Explorer
So I installed the cover this weekend fully. Really easy to install. We just winterized the camper (even though it was 90 degrees this weekend). With school and sports, we aren't going to have any time on weekends. Anyway, fits perfect and looks great. NO MORE BIRD nests!!! I do recommend this product. I have gotten a lot of compliments too. All the best.

ratified442
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick update - I got my new cover last night after work. I'm quite impressed thus far. The cover was well packaged. The cover is well built and the material is really nice - like a soft cooler like material. I like that it's padded too. Feels sturdy. I'm going to put it on this evening and will report back with fit and other impressions. Hopefully, the birds nest isn't too big in the pin box - LOL.

ratified442
Explorer
Explorer
I agree - that was my thought too - but after speaking with the family that owned their cover I was convinced. I have spent A LOT of money on other "dress-up" items for the interior. Their pin box looked brand new still. Mine not so much. Also I have a small bird I'm constantly chasing away when I park it on the side of my house. They showed me that its waterproof and padded. I'm looking at it as an investment that will pay in the long run. If I don't like it I'll just return it.

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
That Hitchvest looks pretty cool but you can buy a lot of pool noodles for $199.00.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

ratified442
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update - went to my local dealer - he didn't have any suggestions. The family and I setup at Smiths Point Park (a local place to us) for the weekend. Took the dog for a walk and found a trailer that had just the cover. I spoke to the owner for a few minutes and ordered my cover tonight. The name of the product is call "hitchvest". I googled it came up with their website. I have to say I was very impressed. Exactly what I was looking for, or so I hope. I'll report back once I get it. Looks like it will also solve by bird nesting problem too!! Stay tuned.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I put a king pin stabilizer on it so you have to walk around it.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

ratified442
Explorer
Explorer
I saw that RV safe foam thing - not impressed. Cheap looking and based upon other reviews it doesn't last too long. Kind of like the pool noodle

I keep a cone in the truck and have used it thus far. I'm going to a my local RV dealer to see what they have - if anything.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
On Edit:
Quick goggle search found this at the RV Safe Zone...Pin Box Cushion
Might just be the ticket.....know nothing about them

https://rvsafezone.com/products/fifth-wheel-pin-cushions/

This is a good product. My neighbor has one installed on his while parked.

Jerry

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Basically........if you hit it once(like I did)........you will most likely never hit it again.
cpaulsen

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I put a tall orange traffic cone on the ground under our kingpin. My kids never hit their heads on the kingpin, now the slide out that's another story.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Biggest issue is nobody looks up when walking under the overhang on 5th wheels.....head ducking results into head whacking

Pool noodles split and pushed over any sharp points/edges
Pool noodle wrapped around king pin

Then hang a BRIGHT colored ribbon straight down from king pin all the way to the ground using a weight (fishing shot, wheel balancing weight etc) sewn into end of ribbon so it HANGS vs fluttering in the wind

It becomes a 'visual' and will help 'remind' folks big/little to pay attention

Otherwise....let them bang a couple of times. Fast learning scale or helmets for slow learners.

It took me 3 whacks before I got the idea.....king pin once/bedroom slide out twice (it is RIGHT above overhang when exiting from underneath it!!!!!!) :B

On Edit:
Quick goggle search found this at the RV Safe Zone...Pin Box Cushion
Might just be the ticket.....know nothing about them

https://rvsafezone.com/products/fifth-wheel-pin-cushions/
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ratified442
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I've notice the pool noodle thing - that just covers a small portion of the pin box - I was looking for something more encasing. I spent a bunch of money on the trailer - I don't mind spending a few bucks on something fitted if such a thing exists.

Shorter kids - hmmmm - I'm not sure anyone would trade for my ipad/iphone addicted children. Hopefully some great outdoors will cure then and then they'll be more marketable - LOL.