cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas water heater problems on new TT

cjb2017
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up my 2018 Cougar TT last week. So far, it's a great trailer.

The water heater is dual gas and electric. Using electric, the water heats up fine. The gas, however, fails to ignite. Gas is getting to the tube because I can smell it. The direct spark ignition sounds like it's clicking, but it doesn't light. I've gone through innumerable lighting cycles (the DSI taps out after 3 unsuccessful lighting attempts).

I've also cleaned out the tube as best as I can.

Any other troubleshooting I can do before bringing it back to the dealership? I'm more of a do-it-yourself person if possible.
9 REPLIES 9

cjb2017
Explorer
Explorer
Follow-up: Service department says its a "bad relay" and will replace it.

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same thing happen to my Atwood on my brand new 2018 Coleman 250tq. Chinese junk parts!

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Using a gas match have someone turn it on and try lighting it with the gas match. That should confirm an igniter failure.

cjb2017
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it did take several cycles to get the gas flowing but I clearly smell the gas at the tube. I can't really see a spark but the igniter appears to be properly positioned.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the ignitor lead is still hooked to the board, which is mounted by the oem, somewhere by the water heater.
-- Chris Bryant

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Do you see a spark? If so then the board is fine. Check to be sure gas is flowing. If it has been turned off for a while, it takes time to get gas flow down to the burner. Is the igniter close enough to the burner to actually light?

cjb2017
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the stove lights fine.

And yes, it's a suburban water heater. I have a camping trip planned for labor day weekend so I'll bring her in afterwards for the dealership to look at it. May certainly be the circuit board. I have back-up electric water heater, thank goodness!

benie
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a suburban water heater? If so it sounds like a bad circuit board. We have had 3 replaced in our 2018 Cedar Creek. Suburban said they got a batch of bad boards.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500Crew Cab 4x42004 2012 Heartland Bighorn 3670 RL

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Can you light the stove?