cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cargo camera

holdinsteady
Explorer
Explorer
Picking up a new bumper pull toy hauler soon and want to install a camera to monitor the toys in the garage while traveling. Looking for inputs from anyone that has done this with some success. I'm thinking that the camera should be controlled with the running lights switch from the cab of the truck. Can anybody chime in with a good reference to a wireless camera system that works?
9 REPLIES 9

CBKZ
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings All. Newbe toy hauler here. Looking for input for cargo cameras.

Thanks
CBKZ

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Peace of mind would prompt me to have a camera inside the TH. I know how to tie down a full size motorcycle. However, after the trip we just finished, I would suggest that after hitting some of the stuff that Washington State DOT qualifies as acceptable road surface, an inside camera would be nice.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

holdinsteady
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Perhaps money spent on a better tie-down system instead of a camera?

I don't understand why you wouldn't do both?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Perhaps money spent on a better tie-down system instead of a camera?

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a wireless camera and monitor from Tadibrothers for watching our horses in the trailer. we use the magnetic mount and tapped into the running lights for power. We use it in 2 different trailers and it is easy to move and we could use it as a rearview camera. It works great.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

holdinsteady
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to go with the Voyager with one camera mounted in the back for back up view and another camera mounted in the garage so I can monitor the toys. Both cameras will be powered by the running lights circuit so can be controlled from cab.
Thanx for your inputs

Hap_Hazard
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Yada “Flex Mount Back-up Camera” from CostCo a year ago Christmas. It came with (1) monitor, (1) rechargeable camera, (2) mounts (one magnetic & one 7 pin to place in the trailer electrical plug) and several cables.

After I purchased it I learned the system was expandable to a 2nd remote camera. This 2nd camera is linked wirelessly to the monitor and had a choice of split screen or full screen from either camera.

When I’m not towing I use the magnetic mount on the truck as a rear view camera. I’ve wired this as to always be on unless I turn it off from inside the truck.

The 2nd remote camera I placed on the rear of the trailer for monitoring while towing. Because this unit is wireless and uses a re-chargeable battery I can leave it on full time on the road. I have also used this camera to mount inside the trailer and be used to watch what’s going on while towing. So I have two options for this camera. The 2nd camera cost me about $89.00 at Auto Zone.

The only complaint I have is at times the sun will glare out the camera causing the screen to go dark. This only happens once in a while.
Hap

holdinsteady
Explorer
Explorer
Were you able to get a decent signal from the go pro to the cab of your truck

a_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I tried a wireless hitching camera, but there was some interference, so the image was so-so. Then it dawned on me that I already had a GoPro with wifi, so I linked it to my phone & it worked great. I use a RAM mount, either the suction cup or the "tough claw" to anchor the camera to a smooth surface (counter top or fridge) or a cabinet handle. Power can be supplied via the 12V outlet near the TV.
TH: 2014 Eclipse Stellar 27DBLG, grey, Abyss pkg, 10K GVWR, ordered 6/1/13, delivered 12/14/13
TV: '04 Suburban 2500 LT, 8.1L, 3.73, 4x4, 10K tow rating, Blue Ox 14K hitch... aspiring to replace with a diesel 1-ton
Toys: '13 F800GS, '09 KLX250s, '05 DR200se