Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading fuel capacity

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I am looking into upgrading the capacity of fuel that my 2016 F350 diesel holds. I am tired of the short range when towing, and just how often I have to fill when around home.
I am wanting feedback on the transfer flo and Titan replacement tanks that go in place of the stock. Is one better than the other? Anyone wish that they didn't upsize their tank? Any issues servicing the truck with this tank take by up more room underneath?
22 REPLIES 22

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ford nailed it with their new trucks. 48 gal tank. Hope the others follow suit.
35gal tank in my 07 is bad enough. 26? Gal in the old Duramax was absolutely horrid. Can’t imagine if it was a gasser!
No good reason for the mfgs to not have a 50-60 gal tank underneath a pickup truck.
Even my little half ton work truck. Couple days a week I burn a whole tank in a day. I’d love to be able to fill up on Monday and have it last through Friday, or be able to hook a trailer and drive all day without stopping for fuel 2-3-4 times.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
On my previous 2011 F-350 short bed I replaced the ridiculous OEM tank with the 50 gal Titan. My Ford dealer did the work and there was a computer correction that made the tank gauge and miles to empty work correctly. Almost doubled the distance between fuel stops.

Current truck has a 38 gal tank which makes stopping a bit more often but is acceptable.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I love my 50 gal in the bed aux fuel tank. 800 miles or so towing and to those who say I like to get out and stretch every couple of hours or so, so do I but that is what they make rest stops for and I dont have to look for a gas station I can easy get in and out of or I can look on GasBuddys and fine fuel cheaper 600 miles down the road
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I carry a 5 gallon Jerry can that I seldom use....it just gives me peace of mind to be able to run my fuel tank closer to empty.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^
I’ve found about 3 hours of towing is the right time to stop and stretch a little. Last year on my trip out west I should have had a Jerry can with me. I got in one of those long runs where the stations were far apart. I came extremely close....too close... to running out of fuel. The 5 gallons of fuel in the Jerry can would have been the perfect amount of cushion needed to be safe.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I ran my 2016 50 km past 0 km to empty on a couple occasions while towing without running out. So the factory tank has a bit of a reserve built in. I often carry a few 20 liter Jerry cans with me when I'm hauling long distances.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Had the 50 gallon replacement tank installed under my F350 last week. So excited for when I next drive the truck. We rarely use it in the winter, so far just filled it up, drove it home and parked it in the back shed.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a 5 gallon Jerry can that I seldom use....it just gives me peace of mind to be able to run my fuel tank closer to empty. I've thought of forfieting my spare and having an additional fuel tank mounted in its place.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found a titan replacement tank brand new in the box for $600 on craigslist. The guy bought it and then totaled his truck before he could install it. I absolutely love it. I have a long bed but I have a CrossBed box full of tools and recovery equipment in there. It is really nice when pulling doubles I don't have to worry about stopping for fuel with the whole rig.
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on an RDS tank/toolbox combo in mine but with only a 45 gal capacity. They seem to have the best bang for the buck.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

mighty7sd
Explorer
Explorer
My only caution is to think hard about your payload if you are thinking about going to a 5er. I have a puny 26 gal tank and would love a large in-bed tank, but I'm already at my weight limits and just carry a 5gal jerry can. If I didn't have a 5er it wouldn't be an issue.
2010 Chevy 2500 CC 4x4, Pullrite Superglide Autoslide
2016 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the 36 gallon tank in our 15 Denali dually with a 60 gallon Titan right after we got the truck over 3 years ago. I found a used, like new on Amazon (which means someone opened the box and returned it) for less than a thousand. Still expensive but I needed the bed of my truck to be open. We have done over 500 miles with it several times which is farther than we usually go. The 60 gallons is more than enough for us. The fuel gauge is spot on but it does mess up the miles to empty. I never tried to see if could be reprogrammed but I don't think it can.

On ours the Titan gets its extra capacity mostly by stretching it both directions. It is a little deeper but is hid by running boards so I never see it.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
My aux has an outlet at the top for venting. I stuck a tube on it and ran it down through the bed to the undercarriage.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
I have a topper/cap on my truck and have never been bothered by diesel fumes. On my tank the vent tube is under the truck
wouldnt the tank have the typical vented cap like most transfer tanks? Or is it a sealed cap and a vent tube out?

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
I have a topper/cap on my truck and have never been bothered by diesel fumes. On my tank the vent tube is under the truck

I put a topper on my truck in the winter, as well as some summer boating trips. No diesel smell here either.

And I don't think it would have any effect on pulling a 5er.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010