Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Helping disabled wife and the law? Rest area sign.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Helping disabled wife and the law? Rest area sign.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/17 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Men's rooms tend to be disgusting. I'd stick to the Ladie's.
What if you made up some sort of sign announcing your prescence to temporarily hang on the door?

soren

Northeast, southeast, the great plains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/17 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, it's part of the whole situation. My wife is a stroke victim, who needs help getting dressed. I have been given looks, and politely questioned, a few times while helping her shop for clothes. The only major problem I had was when some psycho woman heard my voice, as I'm helping the wife, in the private handicap stall, just inside the entrance to the woman's dressing room. This fool decides the best way to handle her incredible stress over this non-event is to shout, "there is a man in the woman's dressing room! Sir, you need to leave!" I reply in a loud voice, "I am assisting my disabled wife, in the handicap changing room, if you had an issue you could of just ASKED, instead of shouting like a fool". Oddly enough, for the next few minutes, it was so quiet that you could of heard a mouse fart.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/17 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Posting up about your situation in a non-judgemental way is a good start to educating the public. I don't think 99.9% of the public would complain a peep if they recognized the situation.

You and your wife are obviously "accustomed" to this situation, but I'd gather (most?) of the public is unaware- or at least unaccustomed to this kind of help and probably don't understand at first.

Unfortunately with the crazy "politics" these days, men in a ladies room often brings up "different" first thoughts [emoticon]

I agree with avoiding mens rooms. They are truly disgusting in most cases [emoticon]

PS- Good for you, honoring your wife and caring for her needs. Wish more folks were like you [emoticon]

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/17 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

Posting up about your situation in a non-judgemental way is a good start to educating the public. I don't think 99.9% of the public would complain a peep if they recognized the situation.

You and your wife are obviously "accustomed" to this situation, but I'd gather (most?) of the public is unaware- or at least unaccustomed to this kind of help and probably don't understand at first.

Unfortunately with the crazy "politics" these days, men in a ladies room often brings up "different" first thoughts [emoticon]

I agree with avoiding mens rooms. They are truly disgusting in most cases [emoticon]

PS- Good for you, honoring your wife and caring for her needs. Wish more folks were like you [emoticon]

Actually it is less likely to bring up thoughts of perverts and such with the current "crazy politics" than it was 10 years ago. As a woman, I am less likely to assume some nefarious purpose than I would have before. I am far more likely to politely inquire rather than jump to conlusions and create a scene. And yes, I have found myself in a restroom with a man - he did his thing, I did mine, and we went about our evening.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/17 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edit: Decided to block a long time troll.

* This post was edited 08/21/17 09:56pm by DiskDoctr *

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/17 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Actually it is less likely to bring up thoughts of perverts and such with the current "crazy politics" than it was 10 years ago.

Actually, it is MORE likely in today's environment- except for you.

I was very particular in avoiding a political discussion, don't turn it into one.

Have a good day.

You're the one who said politics. It's not politics, it's reality. I don't know anyone who would freak out because a man was in the woman's restroom - they certainly wouldn't go screaming for security. But then most people I know (regardless of beliefs) are not paranoid.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/17 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not appreciate some random male (or someone who appears to be male) hanging out in the women's room. But anyone with a brain should be able to see what you are doing. Anyone with any class would offer assistance rather than act like an idiot.

I suggest you make up a standard and somewhat scathing comment ahead of time, just to be prepared to deal with idiots. I like the one quoted above.

I have never noticed a woman disrobing in the public area of a restroom.... and why anyone would care if you see their feet or hear them pee is beyond me. Some people just need to grow up and get over themselves.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

pconroy328

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/17 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

99.9 percent of people have been great.

Similar situation here. Yep, the vast majority of people are wonderful.

We had a situation where one nutjob made a comment in a restaurant. And we had the whole doggone place stand up and come to our defense!

Then they formed a line by our table to apologize on behalf of the nutjob.

Things like that make you feel pretty doggone good when in a bad situation.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/17 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edit: Blocked a troll

* This post was edited 08/21/17 09:57pm by DiskDoctr *

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/17 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiskDoctr wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

You're the one who said politics. It's not politics, it's reality. I don't know anyone who would freak out because a man was in the woman's restroom - they certainly wouldn't go screaming for security. But then most people I know (regardless of beliefs) are not paranoid.

You're always baiting, looking to start an argument. This gentleman is conveying a sensitive situation and has received for the most part caring and friendly support. Except for you- who values your own conflict-seeking ego more than common civility.

How about you give it a rest and move on.

I was the first to posr "caring and friendly support". You were the first to make it political. Stop spouting your politics on every thread and you won't have to cry when you're disagreed with. As long as you insist on spouting politics you will get responded to in kind.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Helping disabled wife and the law? Rest area sign.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS