cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tree sap remover?

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use? Got a weeks worth of drips mostly on hood. Just did a cleaning and tried to remove spot with Goof Off without success.
Thanks all.
22 REPLIES 22

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
S1214 wrote:
Bartenders Fried

I assume you meant, Barkeepers Friend as I could find no reference to Bartenders Friend.

Barkeepers Friend contains feldspar powder which is an abrasive with a Mohs hardness of 7 on a scale of 1-10, 1 being talc and 10 being diamond. It also contains Oxalic acid which is a bleach.

I really don't think you want to use this on paint. Best to use a solvent, but one that doesn't dissolve the paint. Test first on an inconspicuous spot.

runaways
Explorer
Explorer
My husband has spent 40 years restoring/detailing show cars. All paints and sap/pitch are different but his go to method is rubbing alcohol on a micro fiber towel. Hold it on the spot for 5-10 seconds until you feel it start to soften then rub off. As I'm typing this he is removing sap from a customers black truck that owner scratched the heck out of trying to remove the sap. Try it on inconspicuos spot first to make sure it works with your paint.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
I just used my old standbys to remove pine pitch from my windshield: Bartenders Friend (powder glass cleaner) and good old cooking spray (PAM). The glass cleaner takes most of it off but for the real stubborn spots I make a paste of the two. The windshield comes out sparking clean. I'll let you know how it does on the paint because I noticed a couple spots on the hood.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that Eternabond brand "Eternaclean" works very well on my TPO roof for getting sap off. It comes out freezing cold and the sap just chips off. Don't know what it will do on the paint of the cab though
Proud father of a US Marine

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
daireemt wrote:
Schaeffer's Specialized Lubricants makes a 'multi-purpose degreaser' that's the greatest on pine sap I've found. Sprays on and rubs off quite easily. U may have to google Schaeffer's to find your nearest retailer 'cause I don't see it everywhere. Other stuff does work, but if you have really touchy skin,(eczema I.e.) those can be pretty hard on your hands....the Shaeffer's has caused me no problems...

Is it this one.
Citrolยฉ
Biodegradable, heavy-duty, citrus-based degreaser with astonishing clean power that cuts through heavy greases, tire marks, adhesives, soot and more.

I did a search on the schaeffer name and their company came right up and all their products.

daireemt
Explorer
Explorer
Schaeffer's Specialized Lubricants makes a 'multi-purpose degreaser' that's the greatest on pine sap I've found. Sprays on and rubs off quite easily. U may have to google Schaeffer's to find your nearest retailer 'cause I don't see it everywhere. Other stuff does work, but if you have really touchy skin,(eczema I.e.) those can be pretty hard on your hands....the Shaeffer's has caused me no problems...
Daireemt--"I thought it would take longer to get old."
Dear Wife of 37.5 years
2004.5 Chevy Duramax
2007 Jayco 28.5 RLS

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
klutchdust wrote:

In a pinch I have grabbed a handful of sand or dirt and rubbed that into my hands to remove grease and oil.

That would be a little rough on the paint wouldn't it? But I guess if followed up with a buffer, some compound and hand glaze, it would definitely take the sap off LOL.

Where was it mentioned or that I recommended using sand on your vehicle, I assume your post is sarcasm filled otherwise take the time to re read my response. I went off topic in response to getting something off of your HANDS. This is what i wrote in part

"In a pinch I have grabbed a handful of sand or dirt and rubbed that into my hands to remove grease and oil.........

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:

In a pinch I have grabbed a handful of sand or dirt and rubbed that into my hands to remove grease and oil.

That would be a little rough on the paint wouldn't it? But I guess if followed up with a buffer, some compound and hand glaze, it would definitely take the sap off LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
Hand sanitizer works great
m
Best Regards,....marc & joan

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
tchil wrote:
WD-40 works really well on tree sap as well. Especially when it gets on my kids hands.

In a pinch I have grabbed a handful of sand or dirt and rubbed that into my hands to remove grease and oil. I used WD on one of my polyester racing shirts recently to remove old oil stains. Soak to rehydrate the stain, apply a dose of dawn dish soap, rub in then wash accordingly. I saved a expensive item from the trash.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I just found that peanut oil works great on removing pine sap at least. I haven't tried it on any other tree sap. If you don't have peanut oil just use peanut butter.

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
WD-40 works really well on tree sap as well. Especially when it gets on my kids hands.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gasoline.......natures solvent.

Cheap,readily available, and cleans like a white tornado...........And it won't hurt the paint......just don't use it on an EPDM or TPO roof and if you do, do so in moderation.

You just need a modicum of common sense so you don't splode yourself, and don't smoke.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the commercial tar removers I checked today all said petroleum distillates, some with an added surfactant.
bumpy